1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What name do you like for the new NFL team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by fatty fat fat, Feb 1, 2000.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I heard that McNair has asked the NFL to come up with color schemes and logos for the Wildcatters, Apollos, and Texans. If this is true, I'd prefer Wildcatters. It keeps with the oil theme.

What's wrong with Generals? It's certainly no worse than the Browns, Seahawks, Dolphins (God, I would be so intimidated going against a Dolphin), or Titans.

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Rm95--
    "What's wrong with Generals? It's certainly no worse than the Browns, Seahawks, Dolphins (God, I would be so intimidated going against a Dolphin), or Titans. "

--I don't get it.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited February 03, 2000).]

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Houston Wildcats!

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm saying that the Generals is a better name than those I mentioned, if not more. I personally like the General, because of General Houston.

What's not to understand?

[​IMG]

5. Lynus302

Sorry RM 95, I should have been more specific...the thing I didn't understand was:

"God, I would be so intimidated going against a Dolphin."

------------------

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

BK, actually that was pretty creative. They would make some serious headlines wouldn't they!

Lynus, I just think Texans is a lame name. Our fan base would only be from Texas, if we're lucky. How many people do you know that are from places other than TX? I know alot. To answer your question, NO, I am not a native Texan, but I have spent over two-thirds of my 25 year old life growing up here so you make the call. I just feel we need a name that makes a stronger presense throughout the US and the world.

Wildcatters? Maybe. I like Wildcats better.

Anyone remember that movie Wildcats with Goldie Hawn? That was funny back in the day!

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Wildcatters is crappy.

I still prefer OILERZ. Sure the NFL or Bud Adams or whoever retired the name "Oilers", but I bet they failed to do the same to "Oilerz". I say we do it and say, "Screw you, Butt Adams!"

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just meant that those names don't strike fear in their opponents (like any names really do). Some people just feel that football names should be fearsome, and some of those mentioned are not that fearsome.

Crap, I don't know what I meant.

9. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Rattlers or RattleSnakes is a great name. We could name the stadium "TheSnakePit" or "ThePit" or "TheDesert"

------------------
    --TEX

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Texas Tornado
    Houston Dillos
    Houston Executioners
    Teexas Sweat

11. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

where is this "desert" I havent seen it yet...but "snake pit" sounds okay i guess..I still think the rattlers or rattlesnakes...sounds lame though....it sounds like a wwf team....why does it have to be intimidating? then we should call them the "bonecrushers" or the "backbreakers" or "tarantulas" or something really weak like that...who says we cant use ones already out there? like the "heat" or "flames" or some sort of heat reference cause its so hot in houston..maybe the "bulldogs"...or some other animal i know they have the bengals already but what about the "tigers" or like I said earlier I like the "hurricanes" but nobody seems to like it...or maybe the sh*t i dont know man....

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Houston's one and only football team was the Oilers. Anything else, as George Costanza would say, 'is just masturbation'.

13. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

TheFreak,

"How bout the Nomads, since they're sure to be hitting the road in a few years due to lack of fan support."

"Houston's one and only football team was the Oilers. Anything else, as George Costanza would say, 'is just masturbation'."

You don't have much positive to say about our new team.

I was a Oiler fan from around 1976 until they left, but when we get the expansion team I'm gonna support them all the way. I doubt they'll ever have a player like Earl for me to idolize like Hakeem for the Rockets. But, what the hell, they'll be our team.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yea, Dreamer, but do you want our team to have the worst name in the leauge?

Here are some other ideas.

Houston Meteors - just popped in my head because they move fast, they're big and can be unstoppable. it also goes with the space theme

Texas Twisters - nah, makes me think of the game with the colored dots or a dance group

Houston Hustlers - would make a killing in marketing with the thugs

Texas Lightning - I dunno...trying to think of things that are BIG and there is nothing bigger than lightning in a Texas sky

Houston Hellraisers - some religious groups might not like that [​IMG]

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.

15. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

The Texas Tornado's???

Doesn't Kerry Von Eric have the license on that name?

Or was it Kevin...Nope it was Kerry.
    Speaking of wrestling and now that the WWF is going to kick off a pro football league, how about

Houston Stone Colders [​IMG]
    Houston Smack
    Houston TombStoners
    Houston Pedigree

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Texans is the stupidest name one could think of. I mean I dont think a team in LA would call themself the Los Angeles Californians, or how about the New York New Yorkers, or maybe the Miami Floridians. It is just simply put - STUPID. Not that I care that much about it.
    GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Lynus302

I don't think some of you get it. Texas is the only place that could get away with naming a team after itself. Texas is in itself an image, a personality. I've traveled enough to know.

But then again, what else could you expect from a Cowboys fan. [​IMG]

------------------

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Only Texas can get away with it my ass. You live in Texas so ofcourse you think it would be cool. I live in Houston also and I would be ashamed to tell anyone "Howdy partner, our foosball team is called the Teexans". Maybe be if Salt Lake City gets a team they would name themselves Salt Lake Utahites. No reason to hate the Cowboys yet fool, just wait till they whoop up on your damn expansion team. (and dont try to come up with not so clever jokes like "an expansion team is the only thing that Cowboys could beat". In a year or two I'll proudly be basking in a Houston Rocket NBA championshim and Cowboys NFL championship. 1994 was one of the best years of my life.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I wouldn't despise the Cowboys so much--if not for their fans.

20. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Pole,

Again our similarities go further than where our ancestors came from...