1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is up with road construction in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, May 11, 2018.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

this is ridiculous.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who hurt you? Post Oak exit closure?

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

This is kinda new for Houston. Can't ever remember a time when construction was an issue.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

The **** that's been going on on 290 is nuts. I mean everywhere there is some kind of construction on the road. So inconvenient.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You'd rather they left the roads as they were? You do realize what a disaster that'd be, right?

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

290 is getting closer to being a lot better after years of construction. For 2 years. I suspect all the construction around 99 will have 290 back to normal traffic 2-3 years after completion of the widening. 5 at the latest.

7. Fantasma Negro

People have been saying that **** for six years smh, the widening is just creating more bottlenecks which is causing more traffic

BigShasta likes this.
  8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the 610/59 work in the galleria starting soon will be real fun.

BigShasta and DonKnock like this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just wait until they get to work burying eight lane highways underground. It’s gonna be a blast!

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Project started less than 7 years ago.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The 610/290/I-10 interchange is something they actually got right. It's a monstrosity to look at, but man....so much easier to go through that area than it was before.

The Allen Parkway entrances to I-45 North and South are something they got wrong. Traffic there in the afternoons is worse than it ever was before.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, okay, agreed, just random considering it's been going on since FOREVER.

Post Oak exit got taken away RECENTLY, but y'all SUBURB people (you know who you are) don't give a **** about BIG BALLERS like me.

13. Fantasma Negro

Shitty 290 traffic didn't start 7 years ago, construction has made it worse. The complete from the beltway to 1960 is a a parking lot everyday from 1:30 to 7 and then on the weekend there's a giant middle finger affixed from gessner to w.43

macho GRANDE and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, all I can say is don't move to Chicago or Fairfax County VA.

When it comes to building new roads or improving old roads, Houston tends to build before situations become a complete crisis instead of waiting until after it's too late. Compared to other cities.

Right now, my nightmare is 288 and it's depressing to think there are more than 12 months to go.

Sajan likes this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

288 is a shi* show now. Even at 9am there's bumper to bumper traffic.
    Q3 of next year is when it's supposed to be done. Lord save us all.

I feel bad for anyone who has suffered through the 290 mess. I don't think I have ever driven 290 when there wasn't major construction.

I cannot imagine the nightmare that the 610/69 ramp construction is going to be near the galleria.

You would think with all these construction initiatives we have awesome roads and barely any traffic. Nope. Richmond avenue is one of the worst roads and it runs through major parts of the city. From montrose to galleria..

16. dmoneybangbang

Houston has essentially added and will add over 2 million people from 2000-2020. It's almost impossible to keep up with congestion. As soon as a major highway is complete, it's congested. Soon we will wrap up 290 as 288 rebuild gets down to business. I wonder what's the next major reconstruction? 59S between downtown and BW8? That's a beast.

BigShasta and DonKnock like this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Actually 288 won't take much longer to complete since it's just a half ass rebuild.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There is a lot of work in this town right now

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What is up with road construction in Austin. They spent $160 million and took 4 years (!) to build the 11.2 mile long (one lane each way!) toll road on Mopac North (Loop 1) and what is the result? A colossal traffic jam for hours morning and evening where the damn thing reaches Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake). The "variable" tolls for that 11.2 miles can reach $9 bucks at 5:30pm. $9.05 today if you traveled that 11.2 miles going south, the opposite way most people want to go. I'm in Dallas right now, but I looked it up. It is absurd. No thought was given to having an adequate way to merge traffic going from Downtown to Mopac South.

The Texas Highway Department (TexDOT) is insane. So is the Central Texas Mobility Authority.

20. Buck Turgidson

Austin is screwed by geography. Houston is screwed by the lack of it.