1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the difference between FIBA games and the summer pickup games?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Van Gundier, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

With guys like Yao, Dirk, Gasol, and all the Team USA members, there's constantly talk about national team obligations injuring them and shortening their career...

Is it true? I am wondering because most players aren't gonna just sit around all summer and rest (unless we are talking the big fat ones).

Many participates in summer leagues (Fonde?) or do pickup games (Tim Grover's in Chicago, which guys like Toine, Juwan, etc (and Jordan when he was playing) used to go to).

What's is the difference between playing in Tokyo and playing in Chicago? Do they guys at Grover's just not go as hard? I would guess not... I remember MJ trash talking Artest and Artest breaking his rib.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Well for starters, pick up games do not have practices. It's probably just for fun and they're gonna hit the bar afterwards, much more relaxed.

3. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

I know you sometimes start threads like the "Yao Ming" one (and I liked it :) ), but I'm not sure if you are joking again this time.

4. uchlha

uchlha Member

summer league games are for exhibition, to see who can potentially help your team.

FIBA and euroleague is actual league/tournaments where you actually have to train/practice and then play the games. its much more serious than summer league or preseason games.

that saying, Yao played in the NBA for the past 3 years and also played for the national team each year so yeah it will take its toll on players. and as we see with Pau, you can have an injury that will affect your NBA team.

5. uchlha

uchlha Member

oh forgot to mention, if u use the example of Artest being in summer league, well hes just crazy :p; Amare was in the summer league for Phoenix because it was part of his rehab to see where he is in his healing process.

FIBA you dont just play top have fun, you want the gold :)

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Well, when you are playing the summer pickup games, you get the chance to improve your game by working on the things that you want to work on. But when you commited to play team ball during the summer, you won't get the same opportunity. Most of times you will be practicing set plays, just like regular season. That's why most players improves during the summer when they have times to work on their individual games.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This was the first thing that came to mind. Plus there are no early morning wake up calls, curfews, plane trips or bus rides.

8. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Have there been any cases of NBA players getting seriously injured in pickup games? Other than Pau Gasol this past summer, have there been other serious injuries to NBA players in international competition during the NBA off-season?

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mo Taylor tore his Achilles (or was it his ACL) in a pickup game between his first and second seasons with the Rockets. He really wasn't the same offensive player after that (he was still equally wretched on the boards and defense).

10. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

The difference is... In the summer league, the NBA players always win.

Note: Shame that Mo T tore his ACL that offseason. He was reportedly in TREMENDOUS shape. Apparently he had trimmed off all the baby fat and strengthened up a bit. He was just getting ready to become an excellent PF when that happened. An in-shape and motivated Mo T is an excellent player. The guy was unstoppable offensively as it was... Had he added quickness and some lift to his game, he would've been great. I remember I was extremely dissapointed to see his attempt at rejuvenating his career thwarted. Sad.