1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Russ Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 8, 2019.

1. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Fair assessment. I agree, last year's cp3 was a whole level or even two worse. And it's obvious we're better with a 30yr Russ than a 34 yr old cp.

As far as Russ' game goes, I don't mind his confidence and swagger. I just hope that he knows how to control it and unleash it at the right times. He's shooting 3s very early into the shotclock when it's those debatable shot attempts that EG also takes all the time. I won't complain if Russ make 4/10, but if it continues at 3/11, it's gonna be rough, especially in the playoffs. Granted, all this is preseason, so it's not a real eye test quite yet.

Also, Russ' size will help with the rebounding. Looking forward to seeing that when the regular season starts.

2. smp

smp Member

DanTony will make Russ a better player. I truly believe that.

3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Just bouncing the ball off his own foot and literally having it slip out randomly. Definition of rust.

Paul actually looked agile especially defensively.

tycoonchip likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Russ looked really good as the game went on . I think once he gets the rust off look out

Hakeemtheking, vlaurelio and amaru like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The man is unguardable penetrating and slicing up defenses. Sure he can’t shoot we know that but he does so many other things on the court. As great as cp3 was he couldn’t blow by defenders and had to use veteran savvy and smarts but still wasn’t enough.

roslolian, bmelo and vlaurelio like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so cp3 has the "rust" excuse but not brodie

7. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Whats the point of this thread?

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’s a CP Only FAN...u can’t expect him to be objective...according to people like that, Chris Paul can do no wrong

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OKC stressed ball movement, having SGA and Schroeder playing with Paul.

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It’s really the defense we need to worry about. Hopefully they get to that same level of communication on defense that they had in the 65 win year. Helped to have super glue guy Ariza!

11. riko

riko Member

Whilst I agree MDA made him a PG on steroid but under Kevin, harden finished second in the MVP race and probaly would have won it if not for the Warriors going 73 wins. Harden was MVP level before MDA but with Mikes arrival now he has been elevated to all time great status and mentioned with the Jordan’s of the world as the greatest offensive player to lace them up

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Sam and others fail to see the obvious that Westbrook is a better player than Chris Paul, so he makes the team better. Pretty simple really.

13. fattz

fattz Member

Westbrook and Harden are more than just friendly they have a long time relationship. More importantly the both have the same goal. From my point of view, Paul’s goal was his contract because he changed after he got it and the whole recommitment to eating healthy confirmed it. If one is truly focused on the goal at hand, why then do they let themself get that out of sorts.

REEKO_HTOWN and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

still, everytime WB touches the ball, i just feel like he is gonna make a bone headed play, that's not how u feel about your super star, not good

hakeem94 and J Sizzle like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden's elevation has very little to do with MDA because even according to MDA and his staff they just have 6 total plays with like ~20 variations. And its not like those 6 plays are evenly distributed most of our possessions are either Horns or the "T" formation, there is no variation to what the Rockets do that's why they always get out coached in the playoffs. Other than those 6 plays MDA relies on Harden for everything, the assistant coaches even give him the analytics report during timeouts and ask him to freaking counter the opponent.

Tbh Harden is like a player coach out there, he is the one thinking of schemes while he should be resting and catching his breath. So I really disagree with MDA elevating Harden's game because tbh I don't think he has done jack **** for Harden except give him the keys and telling him to drive. But our team just has 1 star anyway its gonna be Harden centric no matter who the coach became. Our team in the MDA era reminds me of Lebron's Cavs with Mike Brown except whereas Mike Brown was good at defense but inept at everything else MDA is kinda like the opposite.

riko likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

WB isn't a superstar though, IMO he is barely an above average player because all he has is athleticism and rebounding, everything else from bball IQ to jumpshot is subpar.

The good news is an above average player like WB is still much better than old ass CP3 when playoffs come around. WB at least has height to defend his opponent and has lateral quickness to keep up with anyone assuming his head is in the game. Cp3 has one of the highest bball IQ in the league but he is barely 6 feet and is super old now, even if he knows what to do his body can't keep up.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's what people are hoping will happen but hasn't been true, especially in the last couple of years where he's been horrendous. whether that downward trend continues, remains to be seen. WB's height and quickness means nothing when he is still bad defensively. he's never been a good defensive player

#117 YOLO, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A true sign that you haven't watched literally any playoff games of Westbrook since like 2015.

YOLO likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You haven't seen him lock down Ricky Rubio or what?

20. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Russ pushing the pace is a plus. I don’t like him shooting threes. He just needs to attack the rim and force defenses to collapse.

ak99999 and J Sizzle like this.