1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup... leaning that way now. My dreams of getting into Ripple when it was 19-25 cents have been dashed thanks to my over-cautiousness, Kraken's crazy sign-up process, and Bittrex apparently being overloaded and having a looney TOS.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

BTW read Vitalik's self-issued biography text (https://about.me/vitalik_buterin) for the first time, great gem:

"I was born in 1994 in Russia and moved to Canada in 2000, where I went to school. I happily played World of Warcraft during 2007-2010, but one day Blizzard removed the damage component from my beloved warlock's Siphon Life spell. I cried myself to sleep, and on that day I realized what horrors centralized services can bring. I soon decided to quit.

In 2011, searching for a new purpose in life, I discovered Bitcoin."

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

LTC over $300 :)

Amir's Johnson and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Trying to send some ETH from Coinbase to Binance but the transaction just hangs with the hourglass. I've done it before and it was done almost immediately. Anybody with similar problems?

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I did a transfer last night with the same combo and it worked fine. Very quick transaction.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Tried twice to no avail. Perhaps net congestion. Will try it layer tonight.

Stack, do you like ADA? Seems legit, but like many other alts, huge float. Still, that didn't prevent XRB from taking off.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Riding this QTUM pump rn, had a pretty good entry.

(caution for fomo guys, it's up 51% on bittrex), but we've seen coins 3x recently, so take what's its worth.

8. Stack24

I took a chance on ADA because I believe they have something of value there. I picked it up at like 11 cents and figured I would hold long term to see what happens down the line. XRB is interesting to me since it's not really on any major exchange and doing well. If it his a major exchange it could spike quickly based on what I am reading on the project.

End of the day all of these are such crap shoots...I am taking a chance on some of these hitting in the next few years instead of taking quick profits. Maybe a mistake but we will see.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Man I repped this sh** hard here and bought one week after release. I think you saw the video I posted yesterday, everyone should watch it and buy this for the longterm.

By far the best team in crypto (ex ETH CEO who left Ethereum because he saw the technical issues and there're like 70+ PHDs working on this the last time I checked, plus major Universities & investors). The transparency is absurd, they are releasing an update on their technical progess every week and you can also see every step in this:
    https://cardanodocs.com/introduction/
    https://cardanofoundation.org/learn-more/
    https://github.com/input-output-hk/cardano-sl

Compare this to the 100% buzzword - 0% technical details crap you see on other crypto projects and you can see how Cardano is on a whole different level.

mrm32 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im looking to diversify. @Yung-T @LonghornFan @Stack24 and others.

Suggestions on % for:
    IOTA - Promising technology. Reasonably cheap and giving plenty of shares. Potential candidate for coinbase
    XRP - Cheap. Potential candidate for coinbase. Too many shares out there
    Dash - Expensive. Potential for coinbase. Nice alternative to BTC
    ADA - Cheap. Promising project.
    EOS - Cheap. I am not complete sold on it being a long term success
    NEO - Midrange price. Mixed feelings on long term sucess
    VTC - Dark horse coin

Other coins? I am not interest in Monero at the point. Great project but I feel the privacy issue will prevent large growth long term. I am looking for a 6-12 month hold.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Solid portfolio. From the ones you mentioned, I own ADA (largest % by far), followed by Neo.
    IOTA, EOS and VTC are good additions. I crapped on XRP quite a lot here, but always mentioned I believe it will do good in 2018.

Others I recommend a lot: LISK, ARK, OMG, XLM, BAT, SYS, POWR, Walton, QTUM, VeChain, ETP, LINK, Monaco.

I of course don't own all of these and only see most of them as short-term investments. The ones I believe in the most longterm from that recommended list above are probably ARK and OMG, the rest I didn't spend a ton of time myself on (technolgoy-wise, but I know they're seen as good coins that could pump) or see them as facing too many competitors.
    OMG was even mentioned by Vitalik this week, one of his favourite projects and blockchain solutions, so it's good to see that my decision was apparently a good one.

Percentage is difficult, I always advise that people should educate themselves and trust their own instincts, I've so far done better that way.
    But my (probably biased) order would be 1) ADA because of the incredible team and insane longterm growth potential, 2)NEO (Chinese market is huge and there are so many upcoming projects and partnerships), 3) probably similar amounts of IOTA, VTC, ARK, OMG and then spread the rest on the other coins you want in your portfolio.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I would echo Yung-T 's thoughts.

I want to be clear, and I hope I haven't given off this impression -- I don't spend hours reading whitepapers or articles on coins I invest in. I just don't have that time, or maybe I'm just lazy -- or both. I like to crowd source opinions by reading others takes and searching the coin's ticker on twitter and parsing through the tweets commenting on them. From there, I have to do my best to separate the propaganda from the real analysis.

With 6-12 months in mind, I would consider Dash, NEO, ADA, IOTA.

If you've got some spare change, a $DASH masternode would only run you $887K. I started poking around on some coins with future masternode releases -- one of the reasons that drew me to $XZC.

I know you mentioned you didn't like Monero, but I think it's thought of as being the best (most adopted?) privacy coin out, and as I said before, I think privacy coins will see a spike next year, especially during tax time. $XVG would be a good lottery ticket as well -- another privacy coin that is trading for about $.02 right now or so. Even though I'm not crazy about the $XVG devs, I think it's easier for those cheaper coins to 2x+ than it would be for a coin like Dash, for example.

Off your list but in my portfolio currently is $POWR and $EMC2. Don't have big bags of either, and couldn't tell you much about the tech of either, but I have them burned into my mind as two coins I've frequently seen make big pumps on Bittrex. Figured a gamble couldn't hurt.

Also, I hope @LonghornFan has made some money after being mentioned so often in this thread ;) (no, YOU change YOUR name!!)

#2832 LongTimeFan, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    LonghornFan and Yung-T like this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Funny you mention this. LonghornFan replied to me in the HipHop thread today and I was really confused for a sec, thinking it was you and wondering why you suddenly had a profile pic. :D

LonghornFan likes this.
  14. Stack24

@Yung-T and @LonghornFan Hit most of them on the head before I can reply. Currently the alts that I am holding for a long term period is, ADA, XMR, ARK, VEN, IOTA, ETH, XVG, NEO, XRP, LTC.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I feel days like this are really needed where the cryptos are either consolidating their recent gains or finding a strong level of support. Yep, not everyday is fireworks day.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Forgot about XVG, you're right.
    Also agree with @LongTimeFan, XMR is the best privacy coin/dev team and privacy coins should spike in upcoming years. Think nearly every alt-holder/trader has at least some amount of XMR in their portfolio.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, but we are up for some kind of deeper correction at one point soon (although "soon" is a broad term and can be in one or two years as well). Things went way too smoothly in 2017 and this isn't healthy. The whole space is really overvalued atm.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He would just blow it all on fedoras and blow anyway.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Stack24

Out of pure chance and through a wristwatch community I became friends with one of the main founders and developers of XMR and that was the first reason I started reading up on them and liked what I saw and from talking to him, I like their direction a lot.

Hakeemtheking and moestavern19 like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hook the brehs up with some free xmr or crypto jobs.