1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conference roundtable: Taking stock of the offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Aug 1, 2013.

1. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130731/nba-western-conference-offseason-roundtable/?sct=nba_t11_a0

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

A star PF won't work with Dwight.
    A star PG won't work with Harden.

How the hell are we supposed to improve, outside of the improvement of the players we already have? I can't see another star fitting...

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Translated: Looks good but it's early so let's be cautious

We are ready to go

4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

IMO we don't need a star pg.

For PF, I think Love or LMA would go really well with Dwight, no? Or perhaps just a Ryan Anderson? Or simply a carl landry who would take a bullet for his Rockets :p

5. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I understand that Ryan Anderson would be a great fit, don't get me wrong. But a lot of people seem to think that we need a star PF.

I think a PF who wants the ball a lot (like LMA and Love) won't work with Dwight.

Anderson is a wonderful fit, but he's not a star.

6. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

A PF with good defensive skills (positioning and muscle), willing to set picks all the time, willing to run, and a little range is good enough... no need for a star

7. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

I don't know what this thing is now in the NBA where people think you need three stars to make a run. It's silly. Two stars + perfect role players = championship. It always has and always will.

8. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Leeroy Jenkins sounds like a laker sympathizer.

9. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

I'll take what Mannix and Thomsen are saying. As much as I love Asik, I doubt we keep him long if a playoff prepared PF should be available.
    Also, I wasn't too keen on the few answers about our floor leadership. Parsons mentioned group leadership in an interview. I'm calling BS on that. We need a clear-cut general at all times especially when the playoffs roll around.

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

We got a shot for conference title! I'm afraid the Spurs can duplicate the same intensity they had last season, while the Warrior and the Clippers is the only team that i really think will be in the mix when it comes to playoffs! Chill out guys there is nothing much we can do unless Morey has few more tricks in the hat!

11. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I know this is early, but Oden is choosing a team tomorrow Miami, Atlanta and New Orleans. If he joins the Pelicans at a reaasonable salary would he be attainable with Anderson in a trade involving Omer and maybe Terrance or Greg Smith. Tomorrows news with Greg Oden could mean a lot for Houston.

12. rocketseagles07

Ummmm a star pf could DEFINITELY work next to howard especially one that can space the floor. A star pg could work next to harden as well as long as it's a pg who can shoot like d-will. The question is do we NEED a star as our lineup is currently constructed and I think as of right now the answer is no

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It sounds like they forgot that D12 was the best player and lead the Magic the the Championship Series.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Except the last two years,
    and all those years of the Spurs Championships,
    and the Bird, McHale, Parish Celtics years,
    and Showtime Lakers,
    and the decade or so Championships the Celtics won in the 60's.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Exactly! Leadership?? Howard was the MAN in Orlando, and that team was a FORCE when he was on that roster. BOTH of our stars have been to the NBA Finals, and know what it takes to succeed in the playoffs. I'm sick of this rhetoric that the media is pushing about how the Rockets don't have someone that can take over, and be the locker room presence that they need. Between our stars, and guys like Camby, Garcia, and even Parsons and Beverley (and of course our HOF coach), I have NO doubt that this team has the leadership to be successful. It's just a matter of giving them time to gel on the court. I'm stoked to see this team come April, and just how well they're meshing.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Why in the world would NOLA go for that if he is healthy and playing well? Doubt he goes there in the first place, but ijs.

17. NotChandlerParsons

Same way Miami works. Somebody has to be willing to give up some possessions a game. Like Morey says, you just have to make it work.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don`t think that`s true. LMA wants a ring now - he would get lots of shots on this team, simply because of double teams. Love may not absolutely need a ring yet, but his skill set perfectly fits our team (great 3point shooter and rebounder, not great at creating his shot or at defense) - so this team would hide his deficiencies and really show his skills. Players want the bright light and the chance to win. A big 3 with Howard and Harden provides that.

The better question would be: can we have a decent team around them and is Les willing to pay the tax?