1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Week One] How Did Your Fantasy Team Do?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Strange week for me.

I started Mark Bulger and benched Jake Dellhome (big mistake) and he got me a grand total of 5 points. I subbed in Reggie Bush about 5 minutes before kickoff to replace some Broncos receiver who was suspended (I don’t know who this guy is) and he ended up getting me 40 points!

This morning, I dropped Adrian Peterson (the crappy one, not the good one) and added Matt Cassel (Brady’s backup) for hopefully a diamond in the rough QB. He’ll play behind the same line and throw to the same receivers Brady did, so you never know. Figured I’d snap him up just in case.

I won by 30 points and still have 2 guys going tonight.

2. famicom

famicom Member

I did ok thanks to Michael Turner and Hines Ward...the mistakes so far:

1) Benching R. Bush while playing Steven Jackson
    2) Benching Titans D while playing Indy D

Still winning this week so far, but could've used those extra 30+points!

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I made the mistake of trading my entire team for draft picks. I thought I'd look to the future, apparently i made the same mistake as the chicago bulls:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bulls_blow_nba_draft_lottery_win

CHICAGO—Just days after beating long odds in the NBA Draft Lottery by winning the 2008 draft's first pick, the Chicago Bulls shocked the basketball world by announcing that they would trade their prize in on yet more NBA lottery tickets.

"This is pretty good, this No. 1 pick, it's true," Bulls general manager John Paxson told reporters while watching pre-draft workouts at the United Center. "We could probably get a pretty good player. But you see, if we cash it in and play the NBA Draft Lottery some more, we have a chance to win, like, the whole draft. Our team can't afford to pass up a chance like that."

Basketball experts reacted to the move with skepticism bordering on scorn.

"I really thought the big question for the Bulls would be whether to take Derrick Rose at point guard or Michael Beasley at power forward," said Chicago Sun-Times reporter Jay Mariotti. "But now they're going to try and win the entire draft? Typical Bulls move. They're going to lose it all, you know. No wonder they don't have a coach yet."

"Do they understand the actual odds of winning a lottery are something like 30 million to one?" said ESPN's Marc Stein. "They had a two percent chance to get even this far. They should quit while they're ahead, or at least trade down, maybe get Brook Lopez at center, a position they really need."

"Even if they somehow beat the odds and pull it off, look at what they'd get," Stein added. "The 2008 Draft sucks! Kosta Koufos? Chase Budinger? Is it worth risking it all for Geert Hammink? Some jackpot."

Still, Bulls management stands by the decision.

"I hear these people second-guessing our decision to re-invest the top pick," team owner Jerry Reinsdorf said Monday, "and it reminds me of 1984, when everyone wanted Hakeem Olajuwon or Sam Bowie and we wound up with a player you might have heard of named Michael Jordan. Well, just think of the entire 2008 Draft as the second coming of Michael Jordan."

The Bulls front office was immediately inundated with phone calls, letters, and e-mails from fans insisting that the entire 2008 class, though certainly good, was no Michael Jordan.

Meanwhile, NBA Commissioner David Stern has not yet made a decision as to whether he would allow the Bulls to make the risky and controversial move, saying he was still weighing his options.

"As dangerous as trading in the first pick for more lottery tickets would be, it would also set a dangerous precedent if we started telling teams what they could and couldn't do with their lottery winnings," said Stern, while noting that the overwhelming majority of NBA Draft Lottery winners were destitute basement-dwellers less than five years later. "That said, I would certainly counsel the Bulls to think long and hard about what they're doing before going for the whole thing. The whole situation makes me wonder if having a lottery isn't a bad idea to begin with."

"Still, I won't stop the Bulls from doing this if that's what they want," Stern added. "But you know what? I'm not altogether certain that the draft lottery really works this way."

4. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

My biggest mistake? Picking Brady... :mad:

5. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

same here....seasons basically over!

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i picked brady in 3 of my 4 leagues..

and miraculously, i'm going to win 2 of those matchups. The 3rd, I can win if Scheffler outscores Longwell by more than 1.5 points. And I won the 4th (the non-Brady league)

Pretty solid start.

My QB's the rest of the way in the Brady leagues..

Cassel/Garcia
    Warner/Bulger (if I can get him off the wire...someone dropped him for Cassel)
    Warner/Cassel

I think I'll be ok..

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yep. Me too. I was hoping Brady would make up for being a little thin at RB, but it looks like that was blown out the window.

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'm on the Brady wagon. Hopefully I can salvage something out of the season; I picked up Eli as a backup and I also was able to snag Frank Gore too, so the season isn't over.

What are you other Brady owners going to do?

9. LouisianaRocket

Whoever had Brady should be making a mad dash for Cassell..

That dude can absolutely sling the ball, and everyone thinks the Patriots season is done.. pfftt..

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, why wouldn't anyone do that automatically? He won't put up Brady's numbers, but he will certainly be better than the QB scraps left in the FA pool for most leagues.

Do it before someone else does.

11. LouisianaRocket

Wait until they start giving in a gameplan surrounding his style of play, the man is going to have 20-28 TD's, take it to the bank.

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

My week 1 was basically down to giving thanks to God for Drew Brees. Going strong pretty much because of him...2 out of 3 of my teams. Too bad 3 out of 3 of my teams have Steve Smith, so it'll be a while until I see the full potential of my team...but hey! Winning 2 out of 3 matchups ain't bad.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Heheh, I played Brady like the stock market. Rode his back to glory last season before everyone knew he was a fantasy stud. And then didn't bother to draft him this season because I knew he was already overvalued anyway, while everyone else was scrambling to get him in the first round.

One of my leagues was way too deep (16 teams) and I had I had the last pick, so that turned out to be a really crappy draft. I hate that team. Mediocre performance as I expected.

The other ... I kicked my opponents butt and I had the highest point total in the league (and Adrian Peterson hasn't even played yet).

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I had Willie Parker on the bench, so that didn't help. None of my other guys (including Peyton and Addai) did much, but fortunately I went against the guy who had Brady, so I still won.

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I started Michael Turner & Willie Parker, so I have the most points of any team in my league despite the fact that I have Tom Brady.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I had Mcnabb and Westbrook, and still lost by 4 points.

McGahee didn't play at all, even though he was listed as probable. So I got a big zero points from him.

17. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I'm only in one league this year - not a big believer of running four leagues and only sticking with the one that's working. So far I'm leading my league in points, dominating my head-to-head match-up, and still have the Vikings defense to play.

Terrell Owens, Marion Barber, and Reggie Bush were my strong spots...but my team is pretty decent all around - although I don't expect to win it all.

18. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I had FWP on my bench and started Clinton Portis and BJacobs over him.

I am still somehow up by 14 points with my opponent having Greg Jennings tonight...

19. yobod

yobod Member

I am in three different leagues and won by a combined score of 345 - 198. I still have Selvin Young and the Minnesota defense going for me in one of the leagues, so it'll be an even bigger azz-whooping by the time tonight is over. I love fantasy football! By the way, I drafted Micheal Turner, Jerricho Cotchery, and Plaxico Burress on all 3 teams.....the writing was on the wall for all 3 of them to have HUGE seasons. Hopefully this is just one game of many similiar games for all 3 of them.

20. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Depending on Rodgers play tonight........I could lose. (down 15) :(