1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weathering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Jan 10, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If nothing else, this is a thread that is not about Trump (yet).

But, I heard of and was intrigued by this idea of weathering in an NPR story. Weathering is this idea that minorities shoulder a burden of lifelong and constant stress from specific and atmospheric racism that is so significant that it by itself leads to higher incidence of health issues, increased mortality, and increased infant mortality. That life style, education, access to medical care, etc aside, blacks and especially black women have more adverse outcomes just from the stress of being black. Which would mean my wife, despite her gold-plated education, relative affluence, and good healthcare access can nevertheless expect to die sooner than she would have if racism wasn't a thing.

These articles are very long and ranging, but I'll quote selectively about weathering.

But it's the discrimination that black women experience in the rest of their lives — the double whammy of race and gender — that may ultimately be the most significant factor in poor maternal outcomes.

"It's chronic stress that just happens all the time — there is never a period where there's rest from it. It's everywhere; it's in the air; it's just affecting everything," said Fleda Mask Jackson, an Atlanta researcher who focuses on birth outcomes for middle-class black women.

It's a type of stress for which education and class provide no protection. "When you interview these doctors and lawyers and business executives, when you interview African-American college graduates, it's not like their lives have been a walk in the park," said Michael Lu, a longtime disparities researcher and former head of the Maternal and Child Health Bureau of the Health Resources and Services Administration, the main federal agency funding programs for mothers and infants. "It's the experience of having to work harder than anybody else just to get equal pay and equal respect. It's being followed around when you're shopping at a nice store, or being stopped by the police when you're driving in a nice neighborhood."

An expanding field of research shows that the stress of being a black woman in American society can take a physical toll during pregnancy and childbirth.
    Chronic stress "puts the body into overdrive," Lu said. "It's the same idea as if you keep gunning the engine, that sooner or later you're going to wear out the engine."

Arline Geronimus, a professor at the University of Michigan School of Public Health, coined the term "weathering" for stress-induced wear and tear on the body. Weathering "causes a lot of different health vulnerabilities and increases susceptibility to infection," she said, "but also early onset of chronic diseases, in particular, hypertension and diabetes" — conditions that disproportionately affect blacks at much younger ages than whites. Her research even suggests it accelerates aging at the molecular level; in a 2010 study Geronimus and colleagues conducted, the telomeres (chromosomal markers of aging) of black women in their 40s and 50s appeared 7 1/2 years older on average than those of whites.

Weathering has profound implications for pregnancy, the most physiologically complex and emotionally vulnerable time in a woman's life. Stress has been linked to one of the most common and consequential pregnancy complications, preterm birth. Black women are 49 percent more likely than whites to deliver prematurely (and, closely related, black infants are twice as likely as white babies to die before their first birthday). Here again, income and education aren't protective.

The repercussions for the mother's health are also far-reaching. Maternal age is an important risk factor for many severe complications, including pre-eclampsia, or pregnancy-induced hypertension. "As women get older, birth outcomes get worse," Lu said. "If that happens in the 40s for white women, it actually starts to happen for African-American women in their 30s."

This means that for black women, the risks for pregnancy start at an earlier ag
    e than many clinicians — and women— realize, and the effects on their bodies may be much greater than for white women. In Geronimus' view, "a black woman of any social class, as early as her mid-20s should be attended to differently."
    https://www.thenation.com/article/whats-killing-americas-black-infants/

Parenting is difficult under the best of circumstances, but Ebony and women living in other poor, segregated neighborhoods face a particularly brutal slate of risk factors and stressors—having to move during pregnancy, for instance. Harvard sociologist Matthew Desmond found that 30 percent of the people evicted in Milwaukee each year are women living in black neighborhoods, though they make up less than 10 percent of the city’s population. Then there’s the fact that Wisconsin locks up more of its black men than any other state in the country, leaving more women to parent alone, or with partners whose criminal record makes it difficult for them to get a job.

Chronic stress raises amounts of cortisol, a hormone that at elevated levels triggers labor. It can also cause an inflammatory response that restricts blood flow to the placenta, stunting infant growth. But it’s not just stress during pregnancy that matters: Health experts now think that stress throughout the span of a woman’s life can prompt biological changes that affect the health of her future children. Stress can disrupt immune, vascular, metabolic, and endocrine systems, and cause cells to age more quickly.

All of these effects together create what scientists call “allostatic load,” or “the cumulative wear and tear on the body’s systems owing to repeated adaptation to stressors,” according to a 2006 study published by Arline Geronimus and others in the American Journal of Public Health. Geronimus, a University of Michigan professor, developed what she calls the “weathering” hypothesis, which posits that black Americans’ health deteriorates more rapidly than other groups’ because they bear a heavier allostatic load. “These effects may be felt particularly by Black women because of ‘double jeopardy’ (gender and racial discrimination),” Geronimus and her co-authors noted. (Infant mortality is just one of many forms of disease that fall disproportionately on black Americans. The list includes cervical cancer, asthma, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.)

Researchers now link much of that higher stress burden to racial discrimination. Dr. Camara Phyllis Jones, president of the American Public Health Association, proposed a now widely cited framework for understanding how discrimination affects health outcomes, breaking it down into three categories: internalized, personally mediated, and institutionalized. Personally mediated experiences include things like being treated differently at a doctor’s office than white patients; black women who report these kinds of experiences have been found more likely to have low-birth-weight babies. But institutional discrimination—which refers to the ways in which unequal treatment has been baked into our social, economic, and political systems—impacts individual health too. It’s apparent in the disparities in the criminal-justice system, in education, in predatory lending practices that target African Americans, and in the siting of polluting industrial facilities near communities of color. These problems are particularly acute in most of the cities with large racial gaps in their infant mortality rates. In none of America’s peer countries is racism so embedded—and that may explain why racial gaps in infant mortality and other health outcomes are worse here. These various forms of discrimination, stacked up over a lifetime, can cause chronic stress, which in turn can damage the biological systems necessary for a healthy pregnancy and birth.

Institutional racism is like a thicket of thorny plants: After a woman spends a few decades walking through it, it can be hard to tell which particular prick led to her child’s death, or if it was all of them together. But there’s growing recognition that a woman’s entire life experience matters, maybe even her parents’. “We literally embody, biologically, the societal and ecological conditions in which we grow up and develop and live,” said Dr. Nancy Krieger, a professor of social epidemiology at Harvard University. “Infant mortality is affected by not only the immediate conditions in which the infant is conceived and born, but also the health status of the mother and, some evidence indicates, the father as well.” In 2013, Krieger and her colleagues compared infant deaths in states with and without Jim Crow laws; they found that black infant deaths were significantly higher in Jim Crow states, but that after the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the gap shrank and, by 1970, had disappeared (although the overall black/white gap persisted). The study suggests that discriminatory policy does indeed shape health outcomes. If this is true, then the infant-mortality gap can’t be closed without addressing broader inequities in employment, education, health care, criminal justice, and the built environment—in other words, without ending racial discrimination altogether.
    Here is the 2006 Geronimus study they refer to: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2004.060749

I guess I wanted to start the thread to ask, do you buy this? And, if you buy it, what does that mean we should do as a society? And, if you don't buy it, why not?

Rashmon likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Good read.

Being poor knows no race, color, creed, or gender.

JeffB and Space Ghost like this.
  3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

If you're wanting to have a baby, prepare for it.

If you're accidently having a baby, hold yourself accountable.

SIL

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Would this weathering make Oprah older or younger than Trump?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The stress black women carry is shouldering the load of two parents

Edit:O swear liberals go out of their way to avoid this topic.

It should be obvious here. I can't believe there is no mention of how many of these women are single parents

#5 pgabriel, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Typical right winger. Dismiss what happens to the masses based on one person who bucks the trend.

It's like saying there are no poor whites

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

justtxyank, JeffB and B-Bob like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Poor black life is stressful however a lot is cause by the cycle of poverty.

They cut my food stamps
    Jr got picked up by the police
    Daughter pregnant at 17 by another Jr

Doesn't matter if our condition is caused by our history, we have to break the cycle.

Each one teach one

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Recent genetics research even shows that chronic stress and/or trauma in a parent influences the health of children and even grandchildren. That's purely a biological statement, flipping genes.

So yeah, I believe in weathering.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That’s a good point. I’m curious if there are any studies of health in the black adult female population that controls for this.

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It was just a joke. I believe in this. I know I look 15 years younger than I am because I avoid stress.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the researchers are cognizant of things like this in their work. What I take is that they see that their are many individual stressors that take a toll on people and contribute incrementally to worse health outcomes, and they cannot measure the impact of those incremental stressors; however, they can measure the aggregate effect as a trailing indicator by looking at mortality and morbidity rates and controlling for things like education, income, marital status, diet, exercise, lifestyle, etc. The stressors that can contribute to the aggregate effect can be all kinds of things, including single parentage -- though impacts of single parenting is something else you can use regression analysis to measure.

And, I saw this and posted it in the context of the impact of racism, but the idea of weathering is, I suppose, more broadly applicable. It would imply that a white dude with a hardluck life would have worse health outcomes without racism, and so would his children. That's probably not even a controversial idea. The idea, though, that racism causes enough stress that you can see a statistical effect even on people we don't consider to be otherwise vulnerable to the impacts of racism (well-educated, well-employed, affluent, integrated blacks) is kinda alarming to me. My wife is half-black. But, I had thought that she was mostly pretty insulated from the burdens of racism. Apparently not. This isn't something you can bootstrap your way out of; blacks who have already done everything 'right' still show an impact. You need the whole community (including the white people) to change behavior to ameliorate the problem. People are always going to have problems, always have stress, and always be weathered. But there isn't any good reason we should persist with a culture that foists extra weathering on certain subpopulations because they look different.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Racism or not, fatherless homes is a bigger problem in the black community. It's not a universal issue on scale

Edit: racism in this context is abstract

Single parent homes are very real

#13 pgabriel, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah honestly I realized you were probably joking after I wrote it. But I was in a rush to work.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Probably because it is a lie

Rocket River

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

U
    It's a lie that black fathers are missing in poor black homes?

You're out of your freaking mind

It's bad enough we can't be honest about black men and crime

Good Lord this post is sad

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Again, I'm sure this experiment probably tries to control for such factor like JValdez mentioned, but what exactly is a lie?

http://www.afro.com/census-bureau-higher-percentage-black-children-live-single-mothers/

pgabriel likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have tons of educated black friends who really believe the negative statistics surrounding black people are a conspiracy.

Black people are way to caught up in not looking bad rather than deal with root problems.

I try to tell guys like Rocket River you have to emotionally detach yourself from the problem. If you're not at an absentee father then don't worry about your image when discussing absentee fathers.

Its something that prevents us from solving problems

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/05/the-cdc-has-debunked-the-absent-black-father-myth

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/08/opinion/charles-blow-black-dads-are-doing-the-best-of-all.html

Not in the home maybe. . . BUT NOT ABSENTEE
    as being hinted at . . . . .. . in before "I did not mean absentee . . . .. . "

Rocket River

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Rocket River

In your personal experience, do you think black fathers are in homes as much as other races?

Edit:. If you grow up in a black environment you probably know an abnormal amount of men who have served real prison time and an abnormal of number of kids who don't know their fathers.

Part of the problem is we become desensitized or never know what normal is.

That being said I have to use the word denial when it comes to someone smart like you. I just don't understand how you expect us to get better while ignoring reality

#20 pgabriel, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018