1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me given that he was throwing the ball all over the place all day long without any accuracy, it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt that passes that appear to have been thrown in the wrong place were actually just where the WR should have been, or to blame the WR who had to dive to the left (or right depending on where you were standing) just to get a hand on a ball, for not catching it. If the ball was thrown accurately, he'd have likely caught it. Now that said, on the inaccurate throw, if the WR tipped the ball up into the air and into the hands of a DB, I'd say that the WR caused the interception, just like in situations last year with Nuk doing similar things.

Now it's certainly possible that the one play where the WR ran his slant and then stopped in the soft spot of the defense was a route where he should have continued to run, none of us can know for sure so if we want to call that nothing more than miscommunication, fine. The point still stands that Watson's passing looked like something we'd have expected from Osweiler or Mallett and that's simply not good enough.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't "hedge" my bet, I simply didn't have a horse in the race. I pointed out the shortcomings of both QB's and worried that neither would step up. As it turns out, Savage stepped up and earned the spot. Being honest about Watson's shortcomings doesn't mean that I'm enjoying them. I'd have loved it if he was anywhere near the player that some people thought he already was, it would mean great things for the Texans. Alas, that has proved to be untrue, and we are stuck waiting to see if he can fix the problems with his game that will keep him on the bench to start the season.

I like a lot of what Watson might be able to one day do, and if he puts it all together I'll be very happy for him. It's not a "Savage vs Watson" type thing, it's just whatever is best for the team. If the truth be known, I don't really care about any individual player in that as soon as they stop serving their purpose and aren't the best thing for the team or are not on the team anymore they can kick rocks.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The only way for Watson to be successful with his style of play is for him to start . These little samples here and there aren't good for him. He seems like the type of player who spends most of the 1st half warming up. Then he goes off in the second. Playing him a quarter here and a quarter there will only make him look bad. He needs time like he had in the 1st game. Also he needs to finish games. He was always better at finishing than he was starting.

smitheygerard likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we should get to see a lot of him in the 4th preseason game.

5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Despite your claims to the contrary you do seem to have a "dog in the fight." Keep in mind Savage has played 5 series in preseason games, and limited exposure and success last season. For the most part he has been decent, but he still takes 10 years to decide where he is going to throw. During the regular season when teams aren't throwing out vanilla defenses his lack of mobility and the inconsistent o line is going to cause problems.

I like Savage actually. He's definitely an NFL QB, but the future is Watson. I'd rather see Watson out there making occasional mistakes and learning than to see another stop-gap.That's what Savage is going to be. Unless he goes out there and is one of the best QBs in the entire league he's a temporary fix. A piece of gum on a leak...A Hoyer... A Fitzpatrick. Most of us are just tired of that. We are too talented of a team to play this safe, but our spineless HC won't give Watson a real chance at winning the job.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you think that simply due to you having a "dog in the fight" that hasn't done very well thus far. If Watson came out and looked like some people thought he would, then I'd have said just that, but that hasn't been the case. Watson hasn't demonstrated the ability to go through his progressions and to make accurate throws. He's done other things, sure, but until he can do those 2 things, he's not a starting caliber option.

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

If you are accusing me of preferring Watson over Savage then congrats! You are right! I never made it a veiled opinion. But at the same time I'm not blind to what I'm seeing, and I don't think the gap between the two is nearly as wide as some would believe.

Do you genuinely believe that BoB is giving both QBs equal opportunities? It's felt like a weighted race from day one

#307 smitheygerard, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm accusing you of letting your preference see unbiased opinion as biased opinion.

I think that Watson had every opportunity to show that he was a better option than Savage and has failed to do so. I also don't blame him for that given that he always had an uphill battle given how much he had to learn how to do properly before he was NFL ready. He's shown that he can make some proper reads, which is something I feared he'd struggle with, but he's not throwing the ball accurately and he's locking on to his pre-snap read WAY too often and staring them down.

None of those things are the end of the world as they are fixable, you are just going to have to be patient. I know you want to see your guy, but right now, he's not the best option.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So basically Savage for a few regular season games until we see Watson lol some Houston fans seem to haven't learned anything from all the other great pre season qbs they've had. I just hope Savage doesn't get hurt week one due to holding the ball even longer when Bill Obrien calls a predictable play that Savage will not adjust to after the opposing defense stops it before it starts. Every year one of these overhyped qb has a perfect game because it's practice and guys are playing straight vanilla and now it's Savage wins... throw a td pass when it counts. Between he and Watson it's 0 tds to 0 tds. Watson's inaccurancy issues are just as overrated as Savage being a real starting option. Watson at least gives the texans offense hope.

smitheygerard likes this.
  10. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Okay BoB. And I realize you think you are right. But there is reason to suggest you might not always have the best judgment.

Let's agree to disagree for now, bc there is nothing you can say that will convince me it's been a fair shake from day one. Savage NEVER deserved the starter incumbent status that he received.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would argue that it'll take quite a bit longer for Watson to learn how to play at an NFL level, so even if Savage gets hurt, the team is better off playing Weeden and letting Watson continue to learn rather than throwing him to the wolves to almost certainly fail.

That said, I understand that his fans are kind of nuts and they'd rather rush him along. It is what it is.

I would argue that there's not legitimate reason to think that my judgement is inaccurate....but as one of those crazy Watson fans, I get why you would think it.....or rather hope that is the case.

Newlin likes this.
  12. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Why are we "crazy Watson fans?" I have high expectations and hope for the first QB we have taken in the first round since our first pick ever....... I don't consider that to make me a delusional fan.

Some of us are tired with retread backups, late round picks, and stop-gap fill-ins. Maybe Savage proves most wrong and is terrific. I certainly won't be upset if he does, but I just don't see it.

You are judging every bit of your assessment of Watson based on a few quarter of preseason football with a bunch of YMCA guys at WR. I get that's what BoB does but why should you stoop to that level of narrow mindedness?

Hopefully in the end Watson proves you and all the other doubters wrong. I am confident he will.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Side question: What do you think holds more influence? A QB having to play with the 2's which are not as good? Or a QB playing against the 2's which are not as good? I'm saying this in a vacuum as I want to see which one is thought of to have more of an effect on their rating in everyone's eyes.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I definitely blame the slant on Ellington, I think the pass to Foreman was incredible, he literally threaded a needle. The slant pass to Ellington on the big gain was bobbled by the WR but the placement was fine. Where I worried was the one over the corner of the endzone. He had a couple like that last week, and his seam throws seem off.

I will say one thing I think you have to agree with/admit, his accuracy is off, you have said that, it is visible, but the arm strength has absolutely not been an issue. Fight that and you are just pushing your agenda too much, the guy has hurled the ball wherever he needed to, if anything he needs a little more touch on the seem throws. And before you say it, yes he underthrew that one to the sideline, but that doesn't justify saying he lacks arm strength, he had plenty of balls thrown hard enough.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue when it comes to the accuracy problems and any perceived ball velocity problems were never tied to arm strength, they were always tied to improper throwing mechanics and footwork. It was never that he wasn't strong enough.

That said, since it's just a bit of mechanics and footwork, those things can be corrected.....but that's not to imply it's easy. It takes a long way to train yourself to throw a certain way even when you are rushed. To make the proper footwork become second nature. It's not something that can happen overnight. My hope is that Watson gets to sit the bench all season and continue to work on all of the rough spots in his game and then show up to camp next season as a world beater.

17. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

So Watson isn't ready until we're 0-2, copy that

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

If the Texans lose the opener to Jacksonville, we will all be stunned. The Jags have looked horrible in preseason.
    Sorry, I meant to respond to asmith8266.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

gotcha, I was a bit confused at first.

I would agree, that there is absolutely no reason why the Texans should lose to Jacksonville and honestly, they shouldn't lose against the Bengals either. IMO 2-0 is more likely than 0-2. Hell I think 5-1 wouldn't be all that surprising either in that it would just mean the Texans beat the Jags, Bengals, Titans, Chiefs, and Browns. None of those guys are world beaters.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We could also come out 2-4 and i wouldnt be all that surprised myself. 3-3 is more in line of what I think is going to happen.