1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What did he do?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Said he should have stayed in school. (or maybe something else I missed)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-deshone-kizer-should-still-college/99989248/

“Well, he still should be in college," Kelly said. "You know, but the circumstances are such that you have to make business decisions and, you know, he felt like it was in his best interest and I’m going to support him and his decision. But the reality of it is he needs more football. He needs more time to grow in so many areas, not just on the field but off the field. He’s a great kid, he’s got great character."

Later on in the interview, Kelly was pressed more on his thoughts about Kizer leaving school with two years of eligibility remaining.

"My recommendation was that he needs more time," Kelly said. "He needs to play more football. I think the best place to play to continue his playing is at Notre Dame. But that doesn’t mean we can't agree to disagree and then go and support him and that’s what we did.

"We had a great conversation with his family. I gave him my insight as to why I thought it was a good idea for him to come back. It wasn’t adversarial in any way. Once the decision was made, we were united and we went to work to put him in the best situation."

On the eve of Notre Dame's pro day last month, Kelly was asked what he would tell NFL teams about Kizer should they ask. This is what he said at the time:

“I’ve had a number of conversations with GMs and coaches about DeShone, and my personal feeling is he has the biggest upside of all the quarterbacks,” Kelly said. “I don’t know that he’s prepared to come in and win a Super Bowl for you (immediately). Some may feel as though maybe one of the other quarterbacks are, I don’t know that firsthand. But I think in time, he has the biggest upside of all the three quarterbacks.”

He did add that in time, Kizer could be the right guy for an organization.

“Everybody’s under the same pressure of performing and needing somebody to come in right away,” Kelly said. “But I think he’s a guy that just needs some time. So if he gets in the right situation I think he’d be the guy to take.”

Quinn asked Kelly if there's a fine line between being loyal to his guys and being honest with NFL teams when they inquire about players. Kelly said in Kizer's situation, he's been able to be truthful with both parties. He explained that Kizer has the necessary traits to succeed in the NFL, but he's "not a finished product."

"He’s just not complete yet," Kelly said. "And so if you want to draft him and say, ‘Come on,’ and turn it over to him, you’re going to have to support him with great leaders around him and great leadership. But if you’re going to give him time and get a mentor for him you’re going to have a great guy. And so that’s my honesty when I talk to GMs and head coaches.”

In 2016, Kizer completed 58.7 percent of his passes for 2,925 yards and 26 touchdowns with nine interceptions, plus eight rushing touchdowns. Notre Dame went 4-8 and Kizer had the ball late with a chance to win in seven losses. In 2015, Kizer's first year as a starter, he completed 62.9 percent of his passes for 2,880 yards and 21 touchdowns with 10 interceptions and 10 rushing scores. The Irish went 10-3.

“He’s got to be a more consistent player and you can see that out there (at his pro day),” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock told IndyStar. “You see the big arm, but then there are some occasional inaccuracies which are typically tied to the footwork. As he gets older, more mature, works on his team, he’s just got to get a lot more consistent. And I think that’s going to be his challenge.”

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Basically he openly questioned his on field ability and his maturity off the field. Stated he should've stayed in school. He wasn't supportive at all. It really wasn't surprising because BK has hated every QB he's had except for Tommy Rees. All of the others have transferred or left ND early.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Savage is showing he isn't going to give up that spot easily.

His 8.4 YPA is his best in the preseason while going up against 1's/2's.

He doesn't have Fuller, Fido, or Hop and is making Bruce Ellington look good. You really have to be encouraged.

texans1095 and Fullcourt like this.
  5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Savage looked pretty good last night, and did it all with a large number of starters sitting out.

6. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Didn't you also say you couldn't wait for Foreman to look slow against non big 12 competition?

Your football takes are moronic and you clearly aren't a Texans fan.

Btw that slow, fat, blunt-smoking pig Foreman has looked terrific so far.

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

@Bennie Anders never mind don't even bother responding to my previous post. I read through some of your recent word vomit and have come to the conclusion there is no point in discussing football with you. Our opinions differ way too much and nothing productive will come of it.

You clearly have an agenda to troll the Texans forum as a pretend fan claiming Watson, Foreman, and hell probably everyone on the damn team is horrible and not NFL caliber. Every draft pick is trash. We get it.

8. Nigel Thornberry

Your guess was wrong

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What a nutjob

I wanted kizer because he has all the tools and would not cost multiple picks

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't the first time, won't be the last time. I would have thought that being able to see the wide gap between the two QB's right now would silence this thread....it hasn't yet.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Can you explain exactly what your position is? You have been playing this see-saw game to make yourself look good regardless of the outcome.

You hate on Savage bc he's never thrown a touchdown in an NFL game, yet you vehemently defend his job as the starter. Then you simultaneously just last week said something about starting to lean towards the Watson side of the argument after his first preseason game.

Pick a side and stick with your position. Right now you just sound like Fred Fauer and AJ Doucheman.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's not a binary situation like that. I'm worried about the QB position no matter who starts because they all have shortcomings, but I think Savage is our best chance this season....and more importantly, I think Watson has a really high ceiling if he can fix his throwing mechanics and rushing him into the game could stunt his development and get him labeled as a bust. Those two things together are why I don't want to see Watson rushed into the game before he's ready.

So I don't really see it as a situation where there are "sides" in that I'm on the side of whatever helps the Texans. When Watson shows promise, I'll say that he did good, when he screws up, I'll say he did bad. Same with Savage.

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

How about Bruce Ellington? A threat to get serious playtime? Already looks way better than Braxton

14. theimpossibles1

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With Ellington, his talent was never in question. His issue is that he struggles to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, he'll get plenty of playing time.

texans1095 likes this.
  16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm starting to buy in on Savage. Love his pocket presence, decision making, and touch/placement. Seems like he could have that innate ability to both manage games and move the needle when need be. Schaub 2.0

#276 oelman44, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  17. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Please NO.

NO.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!

18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Won't be surprised if he winds up being the primary slot guy this season. His talent has never been in question. His health has been the only thing preventing him from being a solid NFL WR.

19. HstnSprtsFan101

Yup. Right now he's a better NFL WR than Braxton. It's not like he was some slouch, beast at SC and was a high 4th rd pick. Just needs to stay healthy and we may have ourselves a steal. Hopefully, when all is said & done at the end of the year the WR group could be a strength. Strong is looking good. Just need Fuller & Braxton to get there, hard to do when you're not on the field obviously though..

texans1095 likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We'll see how Game #3 goes, but Savage seems to be doing fine as the #1. Watson has exciting potential, but I would rather give him some time to learn, adjust, and develop. With that said, I would be all for him getting 3-5 snaps a game in certain situations to give him some experience and force the opposing defense to game plan for him as well.

I really want to see Foreman get some plays with and against the Ones. Kid has the "IT" factor and a knack for making plays. RB looks good this year, we may need to move Ervin to WR (slot) to cover injuries.

Ellington looked really good in his first game. Would love to give him more snaps in #3 and see if he can earn #2 or #3 spot.

red5rocket likes this.