1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching the 94 finals on dvd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Dream was the greatest.......

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

OT vs Oakley on the boards was a war and Harper embarrassed Kenny that whole series...thank you Sam Cassell.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ah, the off-season...

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Cleverly disguised I'm selling dream dvds

5. Know Your Role

I agree Dream was the greatest and Sam stepped up big time when Kenny would get out of line but after watching all 7 games on DVD, I was most impressed with Robert Horry. I hadn't seen any of the games since the series was actually played, the guy was an animal. I cannot believe they tried to trade him before the deadline.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

horry was hesitant to shoot the ball, that's why they traded him.
    he said after the trade was rescinded, he started jacking it up with no hesitation.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cool tidbit. I didn't know that.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Robert Horry's transformation into legend started that way

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-06-11/sports/1995162133_1_horry-rockets-power-forward

9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Don't want to start something but how can anyone re-watch the full games of the 1994 finals. All games are far from entertaining, they were ugly and though a battle that's great to watch when you do not know the outcome. It's like a good boxing match, going to the final round after exchanging blows but neither player really doing much.

Cassell's late heroics in game 3 and a few moments in game 7 are great but to me, those games after watching them once are not fun to watch unlike game from the Blazers, Suns & Jazz series.

Nobody in the finals exploded for 40+, no block parties (only ewing in gm4/5), no high scoring games, come backs or anything. The refs allowed the Knicks to play dirty and unfortunately the Rockets never responded. I wish at least Maxwell would've gone berserk and started a fight. Almost all Knicks series were full of encounters and a fight here and there except against the Rockets.

Someone told me actually that a lot of questionable calls in game 7, and maybe others, caused the Knicks to be in the finals instead of Indiana. Anyone knows if that holds any merit ? I wouldn't be suprised with the NY market and putting Patrick vs. Olajuwon. I wish the Pacers would've been in the finals, that would've been a far better series. Olajuwon owning Smith, Maxwell vs. Reggie (see who's really clutch :) etc.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you, actually. These were great games to watch live, but I think they're incredibly boring to rewatch. I would rather see the Rockets win their third championship ;)

11. dshay7

dshay7 Member

With the impending lockout, and the reality that we may not see any games this season, I too started getting nostalgic.

Over the past few years, I started collecting NBA Finals DVDs.
    I now have:

94 Finals - Rockets vs Knicks
    85 Finals - Lakers vs Celtics
    86 Finals - Rockets vs Celtics
    89 Finals - Pistons vs Lakers (plus ECF games vs Bulls)
    91 Finals - Bulls vs Lakers

I love the 94 Finals, since it was our first championship, and there's so much emotion in that game 7 win. Sure, some of the games can be a bit ugly (4 and 5 for sure). But game 6 was great with Starks going off and the whole thing going back and forth til Dream saved it.

Last week, I started watching the 86 Finals. Man!!! If anyone of you have never seen it, look it up on YouTube. Better yet, buy it on Amazon. I watched it live when I was 12, but I could barely remember any of the highlights. Game 1, Dream was a BEAST. Exploded for like 25 in the first half. He got called for some phantom fouls in the 3rd (even Dick Stockton, the commentator, said they were just terrible calls.) If he didn't have to go to the bench for most of the 3rd period.....who knows. Game 1 might have been a different story. And hence, the rest of the series.

Anyways, I'm finding that re-watching all these old Finals DVDS is a welcome substitute in the off-season. And should the season get canceled, I'll probably watch them all. I will say this.....that was different basketball back then. I'm sure you younger guys get sick of us older guys saying it all the time, but it's true. We talk about the "good old days", because quite frankly, it was better ball. The teams played so fluidly, and the fundamentals of the game were so much better as a whole, it's not even comparable to today. Plus, that was when Dream played, so....you can't get much better than that!

12. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Enh, 94 is the year I became a Rocekt fan, good old times..