1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WashingtonPost.com: Francis looking for a 3rd Team, Trade Might Happen After Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I havent see this anywhere. Appologies if it was posted earlier.

The key point listed in here is that teams have been contacted to be a 3rd team in the deal and ARE interested in Francis but cant make moves because of salary situation (I assume related to the draft). It then goes on to say the deal will get done AFTER the draft. Food for thought.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62230-2004Jun22.html

Francis Looking for Options
    Houston Guard Would Prefer Not to Play for Orlando in Likely Trade
    By Greg Sandoval and Steve Wyche
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Wednesday, June 23, 2004; Page D01

The representatives for Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis tried yesterday to prevent him from being traded to the Orlando Magic by seeking a third team willing to take part in a blockbuster NBA deal, a source close to the talks said.

The Rockets and Magic are close to an agreement to swap Francis and Tracy McGrady, the NBA's leading scorer, in a deal that involves four other players.

But Francis would prefer to play for a playoff contender and his District-based agents, Jeff Fried and Nate Peake, contacted more than five NBA teams yesterday about trading a player to Orlando for Francis should the Rockets and Magic complete their deal, the source said.

Each of the teams contacted by the agents expressed interest in Francis but had to address their own salary cap issues, said the source.

The source said the Rockets and Magic have decided to wait until after Thursday's NBA draft to finalize the trade.

Fried told reporters yesterday morning that Francis was unhappy with the proposed trade and that while the 6-foot-3 point guard and three-time all-star has nothing against the Magic organization, he wishes to continue to play for a playoff contender. The Rockets were 45-37 last season and made the playoffs for the first time in five years.

"[Francis] was in the playoffs and helped the Rockets make a run on the Los Angeles Lakers," Fried said. "He's already been through a rebuilding period."

Francis could not be reached to comment last night, but in an interview with the Houston Chronicle on Monday he said he would miss playing for Houston should he be traded.

"I thought we were really building something, something very good in Houston," Francis told the Chronicle.

"Obviously, that's not the direction they want to go. I still think we could be a very good team."

Should Francis's agents find a way to move him to a team more to his liking, it would be the second time in his career they had done so.

The Vancouver Grizzlies drafted Francis, then a junior from the University of Maryland who attended Allegany Community College before he played in College Park, with the No. 2 pick in the 1999 draft but traded him to the Rockets in an 11-player, three-team blockbuster deal after Francis balked at playing for the Grizzlies.

The prospect of the Francis-McGrady trade -- which would involve two of the NBA's brightest stars -- had officials around the league buzzing.

Under the terms of the proposed trade, the Magic would send McGrady and former Washington Wizards Juwan Howard and Tyronn Lue to the Rockets for Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

McGrady is approaching the final year of a seven-year, $93 million contract and in recent weeks he had warned Magic executives that unless they dramatically boosted the team's talent level he would test free agency.

McGrady, 25, won the NBA scoring title last season with a 28-point average but has a reputation for being selfish. The question for the Rockets is how McGrady would fare if he joined Houston center Yao Ming, another of the league's most popular players, in an offense that revolves around the 7-foot-6 Yao.

Should the deal go through, the Magic would get one of the NBA's most consistent guards. Francis joined Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson and Grant Hill this season as the only players in NBA history to average 15 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists in each of their first five years.

But Francis clashed at times this season with first-year coach Jeff Van Gundy. The 6-3 guard reportedly was unhappy about the Yao-first offense.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

_

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks Deuce...sounds logical.

Arrrrgh...Francis...

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed, SJC...sounds logical to me. we'll see what happens.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Nice find Deuce

Steve will never learn...

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It does sound logical. And I would buy it and sleep better if I knew Orlando wasnt still taking solicitations for McGrady. That is the one thing that really scares me. They need to be looking for a 3rd team for Francis...not still be taking trades for a player that they are going to trade to the Rockets.

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I am developing a mild mancrush on people like Deuce, who just keep finding these articles.

I remember 2 years ago when I was worried about whether Yao would be a bust and trying to draw comparisons to Kevin McHale. Man, it's been a long time. I'm fairly sure that when we get Tmac, I will soil myself.

7. Jaef

Jaef Contributing Member

If Orlando is still listening to offers - then the Francis / TMAC deal is NOT done.

8. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

So are the Pacers out?

If so, the Suns are the only team that comes to mind, and their offer has the #7 pick as a key component..

Maybe the Magic are waiting to see who Phoenix can draft at #7 for them?

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Are they really listening to other offers or is it just the papers speculating on what the hold up is?

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's tough to say. I really wish we had more information. No one knows if the Magic are truely soliciting offers. No one knows if the Magic is cool with our deal and looking for a 3rd team. I have seen all manor of reports on this. It would be nice to have something concrete said about it so we all know where it stands intsead of all wondering!

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Whoa whoa whoa ... this is huge. It would explain all the weirdness going on: the uncertainty over who's in our package with Steve, and the persistence of talks between the Magic and others despite the reports that the Houston deal is done. It wouldn't explain the Suns talks, but if they really are holding back Johnson, we wouldn't need to worry about that, either.

Can't believe I missed this in my own damn paper. Thanks, Deuce.

12. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

imean seriously though, even if the suns were to give up JJ along with Marion, surely they would know that They basically gave it up for nothing because T-Mac ain't going to resign with them.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Will, one could argue that the media reporting the Magic are still taking offers for McGrady are wrong. That in reality the Magic are taking offers for FRANCIS. Perhaps the media jumped the gun in assuming that? Perhaps ESPN knows this is the case and why they are stedfast in reporting that the deal will get done. Perhaps Orlando is just waiting until after the draft and teams know where they stand before they make other moves to be the 3rd team. Hopefully that is the case.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Question is, why would they be doing that if they could get a better deal by trading T-Mac directly to another team. One answer could be that T-Mac indeed told them (and thereby any potential other team that would be interested in his services) that he will ONLY sign an extension in Houston. That would make things fall into place and it would make sense...

15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i heard on 610 last night that if francis gets traded to orlando, orlando will ship him to seattle for ray allen

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The one constant that we have heard is TMac's preference for the Rockets. TMac has been deliberately quiet in all of this and has said nothing to lead us to believe that has changed.

I think he -- unlike Francis -- is watching out for the interests of his hometown and will not the Magic by saying it's Houston and nowhere else.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What are they going to do with Ray Allen and Mobley on the same team? It seems like they would have to deal Mobley also.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why don't we just trade for Ray Allen and keep Cato and Mobley.

19. mulletman

mulletman Member

comparing the deals, arent the rockets giving up too much then? especially if its to be believed that tmac said he would only sign long term with the rockets....

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The best fit for Francis is Washington because they could give up Arenas. Arenas is cheaper than Francis and is a PG, a position that Orlando feels is a HUGE need! The problem is Arenas doesnt have the star power Francis does so that might detract from the deal. The appeal from Washingtons persepective would be businesswise Francis would put butts in seats.

Remember, the Magic are getting a big man in the draft. They are losing a superstar guard. They want to replenish that position. Marion doesnt fit the bill. Nor does Artest (per se) nor does Harrington. Joe Johnson might. But without question Francis and Mobley do. That has to be an allure. I think the Magic want to get a good PG and that's why initially Francis was a good match (before he shot off his mouth).