1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Washington Post] Another hurricane is about to batter our coast. Trump is complicit.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there anything The Great Man can't do? :rolleyes: WaPo goes full r****d.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...daaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.e9825476c370

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trump is just one ignorant old white guy. There are millions more like him.

He didn’t create science denial and he didn’t create hurricanes. If anything though he’s showing the world first hand how dangerous science denial is to the world with a government unprepared for the affects, and one that pulls millions out of FEMA relief funds to pay for ICE detention centers of children pulled from their parents.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...illion-support-ice-documents-show/1274723002/

Old people want to live out their remaining days worrying about spoiled black athletes, and Mexicans coming over to work the jobs nobody else will. Let them have one less worry so they can spend their energy on what really matters. Not waste their last few years concerned about the future for their kids and their kid’s kids.

Invisible Fan, JeffB and JayGoogle like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Speaking of hurricanes:

But...

FEMA confirms millions of water bottles for hurricane relief were left at Puerto Rico airport
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...illions-of-water-bottles-for-hurricane-relief
    [​IMG]

4. NewRoxFan

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not the time to play politic. This one tremendously big and wet.

KingCheetah likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

commentary on the Washington Post's editorial and some hurricane history

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Serious stuff.

cheke64, joshuaao, Nook and 3 others like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Will Trump's opponents weaponize the hurricane to make it about Trump?

President Trump tells people in the path of Florence, "Get out." And he assures people that the government is ready and will spare no expense dealing with this predicted-to-be-massive hurricane.

I'm watching to see how much of the coverage will be Trump-focused. There's social and political pressure to forefront empathy for the potential victims (and, later, the actual victims), but I'm sure many people are readying themselves to use Florence to ruin Trump. Florence should make Bush's Katrina look like an afternoon sun-shower. Right? And we've heard so much about the "blue wave" in the midterm elections. Now there is literal water, tremendously wet water. It must and it will be used against Trump and the Republicans who facilitate his depredations, but be careful, Trump haters. You must overflow and burble with compassion for the victims. They're what really matter to you. I'll be watching your political theater. I know what's coming. It will be tremendously big and tremendously wet. Tremendous amounts of water.

And I'll be watching Trump too. Get it right. Don't let Florence Katrina you. Show how to do a disaster right. Bush went from high to low because of Katrina and how his antagonists weaponized it. You can do the opposite. And who doesn't want Trump to find great success in meeting the challenge of a great natural disaster? No one will step up and say, yes, that's me, I want him to fail miserably, so we can crush him like Bush. They need to act, at least for a little while, as if they back our President. It will be interesting to see the insincere and temporary support he will get preparatory to the inevitable denouncements — the tremendously wet denouncements.​

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2018/09/its-tremendously-big-and-tremendously.html

9. NewRoxFan

Here you go... you can "mega ditto" away...

RUSH LIMBAUGH SAYS HURRICANE FLORENCE FORECAST IS TRYING TO 'HEIGHTEN THE BELIEF IN CLIMATE CHANGE'
    https://www.newsweek.com/rush-limba...recast-trying-heighten-belief-climate-1117416

10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is the only purpose he serves.

12. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...well...THAT...

...and the pharmaceutical market stocks he single-handedly makes viable...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

According to the "pundits", Trump is also worse than 9/11. Living in their minds rent free.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

lol, at the media.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I consider myself an "opponent" to the unstudied unsteady narcissist as a basic duty of citizenship, but no, I would never "weaponize" a single hurricane.

Over time, climate science deniers will have to be regarded as at least partially (a very tiny part, IMHO) complicit in more extreme weather. It's pretty basic, scientifically. Warmer oceans typically mean larger, wetter storms and storms that can intensify very quickly. But we cast this die a loooong time ago, so I don't even hold the deniers so much to blame for our future. So much carbon up in the air already and a lot more on the way, even if America keeps making improvements. We're basically arguing over letting the last horse in the barn out or not, when we need to figure out how to round up the dozens of horses that already left. Trump's anti-science bent is hurting but not that much, in the big picture. It's more globally embarrassing than anything, and I think a lot of folks in the energy sector (even the coal industry) recognize him as such.

Seriously hope this storm isn't as bad for the east coast as it's looking right now.

#15 B-Bob, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    arkoe, JeffB, KingCheetah and 3 others like this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree with Wapo. Trump is complicit. Not in Hurricane Florence, but in the Florence-like hurricanes to come.

Yes, I expect critics will try to weaponize the storm, and that Trump and his supporters will leverage it for political gain as well. It's unfortunate. I expect FEMA will do a great job with the disaster though. Trump has so many reasons to want to get it right. He can't afford another Maria ding. This one is on the mainland anyway with 'real' US citizens. Not only are they real citizens, they're states that vote Republican. Congress will be falling over themselves to take care of the victims too. Midterms are coming. And the geography should make it easy too. No logistical problems like you have with an island. No long peninsula to constrain evacuation and incoming recovery teams. Major centers to the north and south from which to launch recovery ops. It will probably be the best response and recovery of all time. I think critics are going to have very little to latch on to. But, we'll probably be hearing about how great a job Trump did for a long time to come. I hope he does do a great job because the suffering of a lingering disaster isn't worth the political points of his failure. But, I'm not especially looking forward to all the adulation that will follow. For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don't even the tax collectors do the same?

JeffB, Rashmon and mdrowe00 like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good editorial- thanks for posting.

The complicity of the right wing with inviting climate disaster is too often unmentioned in the MSM.

Hopefully they will finally call out these guys.

Rashmon likes this.
  18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...since when do Christians read their bibles...?

...I thought they all got their info from somebody who'd just stepped out of a Cecil B. DeMille casting call...

#18 mdrowe00, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    JeffB and B-Bob like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, this just shows how worthless the government of PR is, you can bring them all the relief they need, but if you don't literally do everything for them, they will just leave it sitting wherever you put it down. The PR government was worthless long before the hurricane and that's why it hit them so hard. If they had a competent government, things wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad as it was/is. You can't blame FEMA for decades of poor policy by the PR government that left their infrastructure in ruins (despite the US paying them to fix it....wonder where that money went?) long before the hurricanes finished them off.

Astrodome and BruceAndre like this.