1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Masterful strategy by republicans - you have to credit them.

Of course, because we want the NRA to be empowered, but not students who would vote democratic.

[​IMG]

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/texas-governor-helps-debunk-his-own-voter-fraud-argument

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....ays-texas-will-crack-down-on-vote-fraud.html/

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

History will not look back kindly.

TheRealAllpro, quikkag and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This. Not even debatable.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A student ID is not a government issued identification. A permit is. What exactly is the point of the argument if a government ID is required? Do you think the TSA would take a student ID? I think not.

Also, does the fancy graph imply voter laws some how increased Republican turnout?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Technically, you can fly without an ID, process just may take longer.

I agree that the graph doesn't really mean much.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

wrong thread

#6 Bandwagoner, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone attempting to make an excuse for the incredibly restrictive voter ID laws of Texas, and elsewhere, should be ashamed. In Minnesota, a voter can register the day of the election. Voter fraud in both states is statistically insignificant. Our own governor knows exactly what is going on and is an active participant in voter fraud - the fraudulent claim that there is voter fraud and that these laws designed to reduce turnout are necessary. It is a gigantic fraud disenfranchising tens of thousands of Texans and other Americans, a fraud intended to prevent them from exercising their constitutional right to vote in a reasonable fashion. Yes, there is fraud, and it is a fraud laid upon the backs of American voters by the Republican Party.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree with the sentiment that these laws were passed with the intent to suppress Democrat votes. That said, I don't think the preponderance of the academic peer reviewed literature out there agrees with the title of this thread. I've come across a few over the years.

From Political Psychology Feb 2016
    Why the Sky Didn't Fall: Mobilizing Anger in Reaction to Voter ID Laws
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pops.12332/abstract
    Election Law Journal May 2014
    The Effects of Voter ID Notification on Voter Turnout: Results from a Large-Scale Field Experiment
    http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/elj.2013.0209
    Political Science and Politics Jan 2009
    The Empirical Effects of Voter ID Laws
    http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...e=online&aid=3260864&fileId=S1049096509090301
    Also worth noting is that most of the academic literature shows Voter ID laws not being effective at pretty much anything. It just became talking points for both sides, attempted vote suppression that didn't work, attempted fraud prevention that didn't work...it was just a big waste of time and money that became an interesting study subject for academics.

#8 Kim, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yep. I once flew with a credit card and my auto insurance card. I did have my wife with me, too, but no picture id at all.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of Chomsky. What you read as "over half a million registered voters lacked the proper ID to cast a ballot due to new restrictions", I interpret as "over half a million registered voters failed to obtain the proper ID to cast a ballot".

11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Libturds and Rethuglicans can never get along. Both sides of the same coin flinging poo at each other believing that their side is right and superior.

Sheeple......

deadlybulb likes this.
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You can also register online here. And you dont need a photo ID to vote. And you can vote by mail without having to provide a reason and as long as your ballot reaches the office by election day, it counts.

And not suprisingly, Minnesota was #1 in the US in voter turnout in the last presidential election. (76% voted here versus a crummy 50% in Texas) Although Minnesota's turnout was ironically helped by the Republican legislature who put two referendums on the ballot to ban gay marriage and institute voter

Also worth noting in 2014, Texas had a voter turnout of 28.5 percent. That is absolutely pathetic.

Deckard likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Over half a million registered voters weren't casting a ballot either way.

I'm in agreement with the information Kim posted. Basically, voter ID laws don't make a statistical difference either way.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it does show that across states republican turnout was less negatively impacted compared to democratic when you look above and below. It's directional for sure.

The use of the word "appear" was deliberate. Clearly the data is not in, and this is the first major election with many states having the new restrictive laws in place - especially in Texas.

Yes but the laws are designed to make it difficult to obtain the proper ID - with many states closing DMV's forcing people to drive long distances or only during workdays. The idea is making it harder to vote will discourage people who happen to be more democratic. If the next president is a dem, you can be sure these laws won't survive to the next election.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Have there actually been any documented cases of people at a voting location being unable to vote due to not having proper ID?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So....you're saying that efforts to prevent voter fraud causes trouble for the Democratic party? Interesting.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The electoral and primary system is a grossly outdated and antiquated.

This country should bend over backwards to make sure that as many people can and do vote in the easiest way possible.

The fact that I still have to stand in line in a church 3 miles from my house is silly. No reason whatsoever you shouldn't be able to vote online, whenever you want.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No what's being said is that the effort wasn't to prevent voter fraud since that wasn't a problem.

The effort was to prevent Democrats from voting.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If requiring people to show ID to vote causes less Democrats to vote, perhaps the wrong people were voting before. You have to show ID to buy a beer or a lottery ticket, it's not asking too much to show ID to vote.

20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

You're a great American.