1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy Fires Back At Mavs Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, May 6, 2005.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3171299

By FRANK ISOLA
    Copyright 2005 New York Daily News

DALLAS — Jeff Van Gundy, never one to back down from a good fight, went after Avery Johnson today, one day after the Mavs coach said that Van Gundy only started complaining about the officiating after the Rockets lost Games 3 and 4 of their first-round series.

"It is revisionist history," Van Gundy said on the eve of Game 7. "His words speak for themselves."

Following Houston's Game 6 victory, Johnson criticized the media's coverage of the series for focusing too much attention on Van Gundy's fine and not giving Dallas credit for winning three straight games. Van Gundy was fined $100,000 before Game 5 for saying that an NBA official had informed him that the referees would be looking more closely at Yao Ming.

"Maybe I need to go crazy," Johnson said during his rambling postgame tirade on Thursday. "Maybe that will help. We lost the game. The game was called fairly, pretty much. No excuses. No complaining."

Johnson, of course, was fined $10,000 for berating referee Joey Crawford after Game 1. After losing Game 2, Mavs owner Mark Cuban complained to the league, saying that Yao was setting illegal screens.

"I made a mistake and I've made some before," Van Gundy said. "All you can do is apologize. I shouldn't have used the word biased or brought somebody else into it. But I would think (Johnson), who just coached a little over half a year and had his own thing after Game 1, would realize that mistakes do happen. He had to be restrained from attacking a ref. But I understand what he's doing. He's doing what he thinks is right. But feel free to call me by my name. Don't beat around the bush."

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, JVG! Step up to that monkey! :D

3. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

JVG: 1
    Avery Jackass: 0

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Van Gundy is awesome. If Avery wants to get into a war of words with JVG, maybe he's already gone crazy.

5. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

F@ck Avery Johson and the Mavericks. they act like they don't complain but who sent in tapes about "ILLEGAL SCREENS" after losing the first two games????

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I pretty much hate Avery Johnson after this series. Everytime I hear his postgame interview after each of the Mavbricks 3 losses, I just sit there screaming at the TV how stupid he is. He mentioned once how Dampier is getting called for lots of fouls, too... well, maybe that's because Dampier really is committing all those fouls because he sucks.

Good job JVG!!

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How can you get mad at a guy who sounds like Donald Duck??

8. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Gotta love the fight this coach has in him.

#8 NewYorker, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

yeah, i think an official rivalry is born. thank god, i've been waiting for it, i've always hated dallas and cuban.

10. rvpals

rvpals Member

Dampier has committed more fouls than the refs can give him, IMO he got away with too many cheap shots at Yao and how can Avery Johnson still complaining after game 1 afte they shot a lot more free throws than us.

11. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

hell through the first 5 games the mavs made more free throws than the rockets had attempted! i'm not sure about the stats now but i think that is pretty darn telling about the officiating during the series.

12. RareAir

RareAir Member

"He's doing what he thinks is right. But feel free to call me by my name. Don't beat around the bush."
    Can someone say challenge???????
    O so subtle.....

BRING IT ON ALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Okay...when we hired Van Gundy I was willing to give him time to see what he could do but I had reservations because I thought his approach was too regimented, maybe dictatorial, was not convinced that he had a proven approach to offense, the players wouldn't like playing for him as much as Rudy, and he was kinda wuss (you know, the type that would grab your ankle in a fight ;) ), and essentially unlikable.

Let me just say: wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong...oh, and wrong.

I love this guy... 'call me by my name'...just awesome. :D

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Great stuff. Gotta love the drama! :)

15. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Damn straight! How can you not love this guy?:D

16. pdiddy

pdiddy Contributing Member

Be careful with that!!! That can be taken the wrong way.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

who woulda thunk it

[​IMG]Versus[​IMG]

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm sure this scared the hell out of Crawford, getting squealed at by a guy who might as well have "prison girlfriend" tattooed on his ***.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow...this is crazy. Van Gundy has reached legendary status in half a season (a couple of weeks if you really think about it).

Also remember that Van Gundy was coaching the Knicks in the '99 finals, and if I'm not mistaken that was the year Avery hit the big shot in Game 6(?) to ice the series.

I think Gundy can handle anybody in the league when it comes to a war with words. The guy is just genius...last year he just seemed like a stubborn "my way or the highway" type of guy, but what a difference a year makes.

20. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

can you say that?

but you're right, he isn't taking crap from anybody.... but this shouldn't be a suprise, remember he was the one that went after mourning's legs a few years ago.