1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Utah Jazz one of 12 teams inquiring about Patrick Beverley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2017.

1. today

today Contributing Member

To me the most frustrating thing about Anderson is that he under-performs his contract. If he were making 14m, I'd be fine with him. I feel like he works hard on the defensive end, even though it's obviously not his strong-suit. His effort against Cousins last year was especially memorable.

If we end up keeping him, I hope he works on improving the speed of his shot this summer. In general, he passes up WAY too many shots when he doesn't feel "perfect". As a shooter, you have that internal comfort level when you catch the ball and based upon your positioning, balance, mental state (previous shots falling or not) and your defender, you process the situation and decide whether or not to shoot.

For Anderson, he has a high standard and regularly chooses not to shoot because one or more of the above conditions are not "ideal" for him. On the other hand, Eric Gordon has a lower standard and a super quick release, which is better IMO. Anderson needs to work on a quicker release and take 3s in conditions that aren't always perfect.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe you're right and i also don't see that happening but, just to consider:

Favors had a lot of injuries lately and he didn't even play much, he lost his starting spot in the playoffs and played 20 minutes per game. He's not that easy as a fit in today's nba cause he's not a good enough rebounder and rim protector to play the 5, but on the other hand he's too big and slow to play the 4. Also, they couldn't reach an agreement for a new deal this year, and i'm not really sure the Jazz have too much interest in paying him big.

Burks played like 40 games x season in the last three years, he's an interesting player if/when healty, but more of a bench guy anyway, not sure they consider him that much tbh...

The Jazz will have to pay Ingles and Exum soon, i don't think they want to pay waste big money on Favors and Burks, we're probably talking about 35/40M for two bench guys, both being more injured than not...

3. rullrich

rullrich Member

I think the advantage is that he's not playing a redundant position IF we were able to land on something like PG13 + CP3. Gordon's production is without question better - but if we're able to keep Lou he can cover a lot of the same offensive production off the bench. Gordon is outplaying his contract and has a lot of years left which makes him more valuable on the trade market.

I'd have to imagine Anderson's shots would be incredibly open with CP3/Harden/PG13 on the court. Anderson could almost just run to the corner on each possession. There's no way a team could double team off one of them and with Capela hanging near the rim it'd be difficult to imagine how to really craft a defense to manage that lineup.

Moonscope and YaoMing#1 like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

We should also keep in mind that maybe the biggest problem with Anderson is that his % drops bad at home so, even if we would get Paul, George and he would get more open shots, that doesn't mean much if he's going to miss them anyway at home, and that's something you cannot live with in the playoffs.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

J Sizzle likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Unless this is part of a series of trades that lands us LeBron I'm against it.

heypartner and saleem like this.
  7. basketballholic

Favors, 24, 30, 42 for Bev, Anderson, and 45 is interesting and can be done now with the Jazz's cap space.

@Clutch had me laughing with the "....so help me".

#87 basketballholic, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Yesterday there was a report about the rockets "actively shopping" beverley.

Today we hear that there are "12 teams interested in beverley"

Lets understand something. Neither are true.

Where do you think these leaks come from? It's how GM's try to affect the leverage of the trade. Morey is probably in serious talks with 1 team, and he's asking for a lot. That team's GM leaks "Rockets actively shopping Beverley" so Morey doesn't get any better offers and has to lower his asking price. Today Morey leaks "12 teams interested in Beverley." Also total BS, but now that other GM has to worry about better offers.

you know how I know the Rockets leaked this story on purpose? Because no reporter is calling 30 teams and asking if they happened to call the Rockets about Beverley. The Rockets say 12 teams called them. Why would they want those (definitely inflated) numbers leaked? Because its leverage in whatever negotiation Morey is actually involved with.

That whole "shopping Beverley" story was definitely leaked by the other team because no reporter is calling every team and asking "Hey did the Rockets call you about Beverley?" The Rockets aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by telling that to a reporter either. So the only way that story comes out is if the 1 team Morey is talking to leaked it to weaken his leverage.

Morey fighting leak with leak. Its all part of the game. Its 1 team, and its probably a GM that Morey doesn't get a long with, or from a rival team, because these guys aren't playing nicely with each other.

My guess is that its probably just Utah since they're the only team named in the report. Most likely arguing over the 24th pick vs. the 30th pick.

BigggReddd, Cash Cam and PrawnJ like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

o_O

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i swear to all things good if bev goes to utah

heypartner likes this.
  11. basketballholic

The whole "shopping Beverley" story was leaked here last summer. Because that's what was happening. MDA wanted an upgrade then.

And just to be real clear about it, that is exactly why Bev will welcome a move now. Bev knows the Rockets view him as a bench player. While Bev views himself as a starter. Bev does not want to stay here in a marginalized role. And he knows that's where we are headed.

#91 basketballholic, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    YaoMing#1 and jump shooter like this.
  12. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I have trust issues with Ryno. Beverly's hustle alone has been the difference maker between a win and a loss for quite a few games. His 3pt stroke has been clutch too.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't think his role was marginalized this year. did you mean that it will be so by next year?

either way bev and the rockets know its not the best fit, and coming off a career year is the best time to trade him, especially if it helps land a max level FA.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not bad. But I love my Bev

15. basketballholic

His role wasn't marginalized. We never got anybody else on the team that could dribble and pass at the same time. So last season turned into the Harden dog and pony show by default. And because Harden wanted to once again do it his way.

But that appears to be in the past since it's been known for several months that we were going to pursue CP3 in free agency.

16. Coach E

Coach E Member

Probably everyone but Houston.

17. basketballholic

I do too. But he's replaceable. And we've got to maximize our trade assets and cap space. Rockets are being smart here and not letting Bev's value go in the tank. And unfortunately because we've blown through so many first rounders, one to get rid of Lin, one to get Lawson, and a third one to get Lou, in a whole series of crappy transactions designed to make one Mr. Harden happy, that have produced nothing, we are now faced with the cold, hard, truth of righting the ship and rectifying those mistakes. Moving Bev is part of that cost.

Might as well accept it. Because barring a miracle, Bev is gone.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

And unfortunately for bev (I do like the guy) the rockets and MDA are 100% correct.

Bev is the guy that any contender from golden state on down would love to have....... off the bench.

I love harden running point just as much as i love harden off ball, He's a great player.

But you are right this team needs another big time player/playmaker. Doesn't mean harden can't have the ball a ton because he should but we need levels to the offense and bev doesn't provide that.

Harden still hasn't gotten a chance imo to show everyone what he can do. He's the only guy in the MVP discussion every season that hasn't played with even an allstar level talent his whole tenure in houston.

In terms of what he had been working with I think he's done a fantastic job. Avg 50 wins a year since coming to houston won 3 playoff series and made a WCF.

Get this man a superstar sidekick he deserves it.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Trade them for both first round picks!

Oh and Jazz fans...

[​IMG]

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Good post.

But just remember this. Harden has made his bed repeatedly. Harden is largely responsible for the lack of playmakers and superstar sidekicks. The organization has bent over backwards to give him what he wants. To the point of hurting our future.

Hopefully after this last playoff debacle everybody will finally be able to do what they're best at. Harden scoring and making plays secondarily to another playmaker. MDA coaching us to a truly multi-faceted unstoppable offense. And Morey bringing the talent we need to actually win a championship. And Les shutting up and sitting on the sidelines without meddling.