1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seems like their o-line will be a work in progress, but a work-in-progress with 4+ star recruits and grad transfers.

If they win the Big 12 and only have a few losses, that gets you top 5 or close right?

So that's what it will come down to.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like the projected starting OL. Vahe and Rodriguez were okay but each had their limitations. Think Angilau and Kerstetter will be clear upgrades.

Looking at last years CFP ranking, we were 14th with 3 losses going into the Big 12 Championship. Assuming most of the conference favorites win their championship, not sure we’d move up that high. If we want a shot at the CFP, don’t think we can drop more than one game.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was talking about OU... trying to justify their #4 preseason ranking.

I'm still not 100% sold on UT this year, in the sense of (i) winning the Big 12 and thus (ii) having a legit shot at CFP. But I think it's definitely a possibility, especially if OU's line is just "so-so" relative to where they've been. The LSU game will be big obviously. The upside is 5-0 heading into OU game, and if they win that, you can DEFINITELY see a CFP possibility... or heck, even if they lose a close one but don't lose any other games, winning the Big 12 championship game.

I keep checking the LSU tickets, but I'm not interested in shelling out $500 bucks a ticket.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'm not on the CFP bandwagon this year, but I think a Big XII title is possible and should be the expectation.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How do we win the Big 12 title and not go to CFP? I know there is always a chance of 2 SEC teams but when has the big 12 title winner not been in the CFP. Oklahoma is going to be good again this year, so if we beat them twice, we should be in.

6. Hustle Town

You assume that OU will be good again this year, but I think they're taking a step back.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This would’ve likely been the case had we won the conference last season. We wouldn’t have jumped Ohio State for that 4th spot.

sammy likes this.
  8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think we run the table in the regular season and win the big 12 game. Who knows what happens in the playoff.

Hustle Town likes this.
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After 10 years in the wilderness, I'm not about to predict that we'll be in the playoff this season. Two potential games against OU, and an away game in Ames, make me nervous. But, if Big Game Herman shows up for LSU, I'll be drinking all of the kool aid.

10. Hustle Town

LSU game is an absolute coin flip. DKR is going to be as loud as it has been in years.

11. Buck Turgidson

Even if they lose in a well-played game, I'll be geeked for the rest of the season.

12. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

I'd say we probably have a 30-40% chance of beating LSU. Being at home certainly helps. Another Tiger to look out for is true freshman CB Derek Stingley. Five stare, #3 overall prospect last year.

I'm getting a little worried about corner for the horns. Jalen Green has seemingly locked one spot down, but apparently Anthony Cook has underwhelmed in camp and is competing with D'Shawn Jamison and Koby Boyce. Boyce might have been running with the ones lately. We only have LaTech to get our young guys some good game reps before LSU and they will easly expose or secondary if not up to snuff.

I'm super jacked to see Coburn, Ossai, Angilau, and OVERSHOWN make contr

Hustle Town likes this.
  13. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

I'll never forget when I was in school and saw Cedric Benson on 6th street having a good time. It was during his pro career (Bengals stint?). I thought he was a total badass after that. He could always push the pile, fall forward and get you that 4 yards. Legend.

Hustle Town likes this.
  14. Hustle Town

Cook was pretty good - I'd argue at least average - when he played in coverage last year. It's hard to say if he'll ever put it all together, but he's still young. I think the talent is there. Boyce's experience is valuable, even if he gets passed up by the younger guys at some point.

15. Bob Barker 007

Hopefully it'll be louder than the Swoopes, there it is! game. The USC game was loud last year too. This one could be on another level though given the game day improvements, demand for tickets, and general optimism.

mtbrays and Hustle Town like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Does LSU actually have a QB this year?

17. Hustle Town

Joe Burrow - much better than most of the ones you're thinking of. Probably a top 25 QB in the nation but somewhat inconsistent.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I was just thinking....can't remember the last really good one they've had.

eta: Jamarcus?

#11858 Buck Turgidson, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I honestly don't think LSU has a chance. Unless you have dynamic quarterback, you are going to look like Georgia against us. If you have a quarterback that can run, then you end up looking like Maryland.

20. Hustle Town

4-star CB Josh Eaton from Aldine MacArthur HS committed earlier this afternoon.

gucci888 likes this.