1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sending lots of talent to the NBA and Shaka made zero development on them
    Jared Allen is beasting

The insult to injury is Rick Barnes taking a much worse program, Tennessee to being the #1 team in America.

We need to start winning at hoops cause they are building a brand new stadium

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Hopefully we'll have a better coach in place with a couple years to prep for the new basketball arena. Although they are building a big concert arena to replace the Erwin Center, the AD wants some physical design element to block the upper deck so it feels smaller as oppose to just covering up seats. It would be nice to combine that atmosphere with a decent team.

I'm super happy to see both Bru and Whittington enroll early to get in the strength and conditioning program before their 1st season. Herman held back Ingram last year because he was a summer enrollee and I think you could see him get less effective as the year went on. A 247 article I read said Bru really hasn't been in a true off season conditioning program because of various injuries.

TLDR: Early Enrolling Good.

Here are the early birds:
    (Rumored) Bru McCoy -ATH
    Jordan Whittington -ATH
    Tyler Johnson - OT
    Roschon Johnson - QB
    Jared Wiley-TE
    De'Gabriel Floyd - LB
    Marcus Tillman Jr. -LB
    Caleb Johnson - LB
    Jacoby Jones- DE
    Peter Mpagi - DE

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaka's buyout is insane (I've read ~$15M) which is probably the only reason he hasn't been fired yet. This team probably won't make the tournament and, even if they did, I'd be shocked if they won a single game. Smart's inability to develop any kind of perimeter threat has doomed this program from day one. I bet he'll be gone before the new arena opens.

Personally, I'm hoping that the arena location at least encourages more students to attend games. I know the distance between Jester and Erwin doesn't seem that far, but The Drum isn't located near any student housing or active class space. I think that, and its large capacity, contributes to the often moribund feel of the place. Plus, the program has just been in a rut. They were ranked #1 for a while when I was in school, but cratered out of the tournament in the first game. Rick Barnes does seem rejuvenated at Tennessee, but I bet he'd agree that he needed a change of scenery, too. Remember, this is the coach that could only win one tournament game with Kevin Durant and DJ Augustin on his team. There were valid reasons to push him out.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I understand why we got rid of Barnes but we didn’t replace him with a better coach .
    He utilities the wrong people . Our lotto picks don’t get touches but K Roach can shoot anytime like he’s Harden

5. tinman

Supporting Member

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Calculator. Time to run play #8.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Does that give UT a top 5 class for the year now? Things are looking UPPP

8. Buck Turgidson

Admiral Schofield would be a perfect 3-D wing for the Rockets. He's a perimeter switching mofo.

9. Hustle Town

10. tinman

Supporting Member

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This kid has to potentially sit out the season because he graduated high school and started college early? He’d be punished for starting college early?

I do not understand the NCAA at all.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Stuff like this will be their downfall in regards to not giving the players more rights.

13. Buck Turgidson

Doesn't it depend on USC? If they let him out of his commitment then he's basically just another freshman, right?

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah USC let him out of his NLI which was a big hurdle but since he attended classes, he was considered a student athlete and subject to the transfer rules. Question is whether the NCAA will grant him a waiver which no one really knows.

15. Buck Turgidson

Ah, I missed that part. Me no read good sometime.

gucci888 likes this.
  16. Hustle Town

If the 9.95ers are right with their reports (questionable for sure), momentum for 2020 recruiting is the best it's been in about 15 years.

Attrition since 2012:

2012-2013: 6
    2013-2014: 15 (coaching change)
    2014-2015: 10
    2015-2016: 11
    2016-2017: 13 (coaching change)
    2017-2018: 18
    2018-2019: 6 (so far)

17. Brando2101

What's crazy is that after Shane and Kyle Porter transfer, I think 11 of the 28 commits from the 2016 class will be gone from the team through attrition.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Desperate times at USC

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Harrell wouldn't be a bad hire really but unfortunately a lot of the damage has been done. Swann doing his best Patterson impersonation.

20. Brando2101

Charles Omenihu impressed a lot of scouts in Senior Bowl week. He could end up at the end of the 1st to the Pats or high in the 2nd with a good combine and the dude is built for overrated stock at the NFL combine. Prototypical oversized 4-3 END with a super long wingspan. He's like the opposite of Poona Ford.

Btw, saw a cool stat that Poona had the highest interior DL grade last year for rookies by Pro Football Focus and the 10th highest out of all interior D-Linemen.

Looking at the other UT Rookies:

Connor Williams (Cowboys) started, was benched and then got back in the starting lineup due to injury. He started both post season games. Up and down year but still ended up starting 11 games. Grade: B+

Malik Jefferson (Bengals) came off the bench before getting hurt in December finishing with 10 combined tackles. Grade: C

DeShon Elliott (Ravens) broke his arm before the season started and didn't play in 2018. Grade: F

Holton Hill (Vikings) had a solid year as a backup with 36 combined tackles, 7 deflections and 1 INT. Grade: B

Michael Dickson (Seahawks) is one of the 2 best punters in the NFL. Grade: A+