1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Rumors are UT is going to have current A&M WR commit Jalen Preston on campus. He's among the top 20 players in the state. I keep hoping to see something positive with the Slot WR Waddle out of Houston but there doesn't seem to be much there.

To me, pretty much everything is gravy after keeping Coburn. In some bizzaro world, if I had to choose between Coburn and the 4-5 other guys we are talking about right now, I would choose Coburn. We have to keep him.

#10601 Brando2101, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This might help...Apparently A&M have in-home visits Coburn, Ossai and Ojomo today.

3. Brando2101

Wait, so they were hiring a defensive tackles coach in addition to the defensive line coach that they were keeping from Sumlin's staff? I hope it helps to keep Coburn where he is at. I really think he is going to be the gem of the class.

Also, this is the QB from Louisiana that we recruited for the DL. He looks like a prototypical 4-3 DE.

4. gucci888

Ya Montgomery was supposed to coach DTs so this would seemingly help since Coburn would have no idea who'd actually be coaching him but we shall see. Looks like we picked up another commit but no one reporting who just yet. Some speculation that it is WR Joshua Moore who just took an OV this past weekend.

5. Brando2101

I wish the Waddle kid had some interest in Texas. He's a game changer. It doesn't seem like there are any other slot receivers left. Herman went to visit him and a bunch of UT commits tried to get him interested at the Army game week. I think Cook was his roommate. Dude just isn’t interested. He’s probably going to go win a championship at Alabama.

Texas is trending well for this 16 year old defensive lineman out of Katy High (Moro Ojomo). Hopefully you get him and redshirt him to give him a chance to catchup in physical maturity with all the other guys he'll be competing with and against.

#10605 Brando2101, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. Brando2101

Multiple reports that WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps Is going to transfer. UT hasn’t confirmed it.

7. gucci888

Ya that was being rumored for a while. Unfortunately rumor is Humphrey was a risk as well.

Not a good look but whatever. Next man up.

8. Brando2101

-Texas as focused on Louisiana WR Lawrence Keys III to fill their Slot WR position. He had a good visit and is choosing between Texas and Notre Dame.
    -Texas offered a new offensive lineman from Houston and is in good position to get him. Christian Jones from Cy Woods wanted to play DL but UT offered OL which might indicate they are going to lose a current signee to a mormon trip.
    -InsideTexas says Texas A&M WR commit Jalen Preston will not make it to Austin this weekend as planned. I really don't know anything about InsideTexas so I don't know how much to make of it.

9. gucci888

Few sites are reporting Preston cancelled so that ship might have sailed. Eagles, Woodard, and maybe 1 or both of Moore and Keys would be a nice WR haul. With Mapps and Duvernay possibly gone, there are some openings. Too bad we couldn't get back in on Waddle's recruitment.

10. Buck Turgidson

Saw the Statesman's "Fab 55" this morning. I'm incredibly disappointed that UT lost out to Arkansas on the ILB named...

Bumper Pool

I look forward to seeing him in the East-West All Star Game in a few years.

11. Brando2101

[​IMG]

Not really sure what you are getting at. I'll assume it's making fun of us that follow the recruiting battles : )

-If you are curious, the ILB is from Louisiana and is going to be in Austin this weekend for an OV. I'm betting he flips.
    -The potential OL grad transfer from Stanford announced he will attend ASU. The senior from Rice is continuing to tour schools.
    -WR Josh Moore might commit on Sunday. He canceled his other trip.
    -UT is desperate for a slot WR. They were eliminated by this Baylor lean yesterday (Bush) but the staff talked to the kid last night. The story there along with the kid Keys who is choosing between us and Notre Dame might be too little, too late. UT had two WR decomit. From what I understand, they stopped going after guys once this kid Justin Watkins committed so when Watkins left, UT was playing catchup. However, I could be wrong.

Where will 2018 end up? It's likely UT will end up with these signees for NSD2:
    1 Running Back
    1 Wide Receiver
    1 Offensive Lineman
    2 Generic Defensive Lineman
    1 Nose Tackle
    1 Athlete to convert to Defensive Lineman
    1 Outside Linebacker/Defensive End
    1 Inside Linebacker

Hopefully you can add the grad transfer OL from Rice but that isn't really tied into NSD2. It would be nice to pickup another WR.

12. Buck Turgidson

13. Brando2101

14. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Great news about OL Jones. Guessing he will be redshirted.

Would someone please explain to me what exactly the "Crystal Ball" picks are?

Really hope Coburn is just trolling us and wants the attention. Can't lose him!

And Tommy Bush?...so you're saying there's a chance?

Coburn, Ingram, Moore, Ojomo, Ossai, Parker (LB from Louisiana), Jones above. Anybody think there will be a big surprise UT signing tomorrow?

15. Brando2101

I would think so especially if we get the grad transfer from Rice. Jones is the 5th offensive lineman in the class behind 3 high school seniors and 1 JUCO player however we still don't know if the lineman out of Utah is going to enroll or go on a 2 year mission.

They are predictions made by admins on recruiting websites. They are called crystal balls because they are just different levels of educated guessing. They vary widely over the course of a kids recruitment. You really never know what is going to happen because these are just kids.

I hope so. He can have his fun but I do hope he ends up here but who knows. I think most people underestimating the importance of Pooma Ford in our defense and that's why I can see this kid playing a lot or even starting next year. We need a big guy to plug the line if we want to keep running dime packages. Losing Coburn would be a huge huge blow. I can absolutely understand why the kid would go to Miami.

There is definitely a chance IMO considering Bush visited UT even after eliminating them. I'll feel bad for Baylor if he does go to UT because they have been after him for a long time and Texas just turned to him as a last resort. Maybe the kid feels ok with it now because he publicly eliminated UT and Herman and staff went to his house to get him to give them a chance.

I don't think they'll be any good surprises. I think you hope to clear all the guys on your list and be happy you got a class at this level after a 7 win season.

Katy DL Ojomo is announcing tonight at 6pm btw.

#10615 Brando2101, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  16. Brando2101

17. Buck Turgidson

The kid is only 16 years old, so a definite redshirt. He will be an absolute beast once he grows up, he was pretty much the best player on the field in Katy's last 2 playoff games.

18. Brando2101

Here is the 247 player summary:

Strengths: Ojomo has a powerful build with great length. He shows good quickness at the snap, and uses his hands well to shed blocks. He plays with good initial leverage and shows good feet which allows him to stay level with the play. Ojomo shows strong acceleration when closing, and he plays with good discipline. He’s very strong when anchoring against the run, and he shows solid pass-rush ability. Ojomo shows off a great inside rip and swim move to push the pocket from the center. Ojomo plays mostly on the nose, but he has the strength to play 3-technique and quickness to play 4i or 5-technique. Ojomo is disruptive in the middle, and he has no problem taking on double teams at the point of attack. His length allows him to reach ball carriers, and once he latches on he’s able to secure the tackle with good fundamental ability.

Areas for improvement: Ojomo is raw from the technical side of the position, and he’s a bit of a tweener size-wise. Ojomo will need to add weight and strength at the next level, while still retaining his quickness and athletic ability.

Fit for Texas: Ojomo is a great fit for this defensive line class because of his positional versatility. His length and strength play well at the 4i position, but he could also slide to tackle in even fronts. Ojomo’s relatively young age for his class also means he’s just scratching the surface on his talent

19. gucci888

Herman could sign as many as 5 defensive lineman today, possibly 6 if he can somehow close on Vernon Jackson. Quite a haul for a major area of need.

#10619 gucci888, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  20. Brando2101

-Texas misses out on flipping Arkansas ILB Parker
    -Texas misses out on the two WRs they pivoted to. Keys commits to Notre Dame and Bush goes to Georgia
    -Texas brings in a preferred walk on (don't know what that means) to play for the slot position
    -As Gucci pointed out, Coburn signed as well as UT's other early commit RB Ingram

#10620 Brando2101, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018