1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Doubt he would've played once he declares but interesting note that he practiced. Best of luck to him.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It's Official: DB Holton Hill leaving for the NFL.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harder things to predict like distance between two points

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Gary Ward should get 25% of Tom Herman's Texas salary.

5. Buck Turgidson

Why? Texas could have gone 6-6 this year with any ok QB.

6. Brando2101

I blame god.

7. Buck Turgidson

"There's many a slip betwixt a cup and a lip." -- William H. Bonney, Young Guns

8. gucci888

Some conflicting reports on SMU and Todd Orlando. Chip Brown (I know) reported that Orlando met with SMU officials while in Dallas on Wednesday and then followed up that the interview went really well.

Another pay site said that Orlando was in Florida on Wednesday but that a phone interview could've happened. I for one hope Herman is right for reasons other than the possibility of Orlando leaving.

9. Brando2101

I have a hard time believing he would take the gig unless he thought things at UT were going to get worse and this would be his best shot for a few years which is possible since he could be losing 6 starters on defense. I guess the question is how many P5 programs are hiring coordinators as oppose to head coaches from smaller schools?

10. Brando2101

On a more Austin-ey note. The owner of the Columbus Crew MLS team released renderings and a diagram of the stadium he wants to pay to build at Butler Shores on S. Lamar just across downtown. It won't have any onsite parking in order to encourage people to use public transit and park downtown and walk to the stadium and use the pedestrian bridge to access the stadium. We could see water ferries shuttling people from west Austin using the lake up to the dam by Mozarts. It's a pretty solid plan but there are council members that will push to have it built outside the city core. If the city pushes for that then he likely will look at staying in Columbus. You can't really blame him since it's his money that would be building the stadium. Take it or leave it.

The city staff will present the council with all of the underutilized parkland that could house a stadium. Austin would likely have to have a vote to approve to lease the parkland to the Crew for free in exchange for a privately financed stadium, practice fields which would have public access and a team.

I mean...it's absolutely ridiculous that this fell into Austin's lap with absolutely 0 work by the city government. Bexar County (San Antonio) paid 20 million dollars for a soccer stadium that could eventually be upgraded for MLS play in a bid to get an expansion team. They've also done a ton of work getting ownership in place and cut contracts yada yada yada.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Who needs parks? Who needs greenspace? Austin used to be a pretty town.

Johnny Dallas and the LA Douchebags have pretty much taken over.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Bob Barker 007

That actually looks really well thought out and a good plan if an MLS team were to go to Austin. It's not like an MLS team would be messing with the UT machine on football, basketball, and baseball for the area, and it is probably best to keep the UT sports stadiums close to campus. I would take that in a heartbeat.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

correct on your last sentence. Db central, and that has nothing to do with Holton Hill or Anthony Cook.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A MLS team in Austin would be very exciting especially if they create an academy for youth development like FC Dallas.

15. Major

Major Member

This sounds like a terrible idea, just like the talk of the new basketball stadium at the old Statesman building was. People aren't going to magically use public transit in Austin. It would be no different than ACL or other events at Zilker - most people will just drive their cars as close as they can and then walk (or take Uber or whatever); meanwhile, you'll unnecessarily create mass congestion in the area, both with cars on already-congested Lamar and pedestrians having to cross that area to walk to the stadium. Except instead of it being 2 weekends a year, it would be on a regular basis (not sure how many games an MLS team plays). Alternatively, people just won't go to the games.

People are going to drive regardless - might as well put it somewhere where they can park conveniently next to it. Trying to force changes in behavior by making things inconvenient is just silly.

raining threes likes this.
  16. gucci888

17. bigtexxx

Yet another Rice connection! AD, head football coach and head baseball coach.

CDC is good. Very ambitious and hard charging guy. I knew him during his stint at Rice.

18. Bob Barker 007

How do you think he will do running Texas athletics? It is a larger and more difficult task than TCU or Rice.

19. bigtexxx

I think he'll be an extremely aggressive fundraiser and facility builder. That's been his laser focus at both TCU and Rice. He'll also do a good job of engaging the community. He's been at big state schools before - Arizona right before Rice. I think he is a very good hire.

20. gucci888

Was hoping they'd do away with this system but guess this is better than nothing. Doubt anyone comes without this being loud and clear.

But really happy with this hire. Luck and CDC were 1A and 1B for me