1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

TIFWIW, "An NFL source told Horns247 that Elliott could go anywhere from the first to the third round if he were to come out." Find it hard to believe but Elliott is also up for the Thorpe award so that could give him a little boost. Dickson will get drafted and think it could be earlier than we think. Omenihu and Boyd are just making poor decisions.

#10361 gucci888, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Here is some news from EJ at 247. I've only been reading recruiting news for the last couple seasons so I'm not an expert but feel like I can say that this guy really does know what he is talking about and does his homework:

— Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck made his way to California this week to see commit Cameron Rising, who told me the in-home visit was great. Rising’s commitment to Texas has strengthened, and he added that he probably wouldn’t make any official visits before signing with the Longhorns next month. Rising is ready to enroll and is confident in his ability to compete for the job under center right away.

— There was a lot of hype surrounding five-star wide receiver Terrace Marshall following his official visit. But I didn’t buy it. And I still don’t. From talking to multiple sources this week, Marshall is still an extreme long shot for the Longhorns with one source simply saying ‘no chance.’ LSU is still the clear favorite here.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington was in Louisiana today and swung by Dunham School (La.) to check in on four-star 2019 cornerback Derek Stingley, who is a top target for next cycle. The ex-LSU commit is very high on Texas and plans to make his way to Austin for an unofficial visit in the spring.

— Texas put an offer on the table today for four-star 2019 Austin Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson today. This one was a long time coming. I saw Wilson in game action as a sophomore and was extremely impressed, and he’s having a phenomenal junior season. Texas will be a favorite in his recruitment moving forward. I put in my Crystal Ball pick in September.

3. Brando2101

Here is a Chip Brown piece full of random names seemingly grabbed out of nowhere. There is also some interesting speculation as to the issues some players have with Herman. Bolded what I thought was noteworthy but take everything with a grain of salt.

Also, Texas might have to fight to keep one of its quarterback commits. Newcastle (Okla.) signal-caller Casey Thompson received an offer from Ole Miss on Wednesday afternoon. Thompson committed to Texas in April and is slated to graduate in December and enroll early. At 6-foot-1, 184 pounds, Thompson is ranked as the No. 12 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

It wouldn't be the biggest deal if we lost Thompson. It seems messy to get two alpha QBs in the same class but I guess it's good for us.

4. gucci888

Ya Brewster's name as come up the past few years but if Fisher bolts for A&M, Herman cannot let him go with. Should be noted that both of our current QB commits are slated to enroll early so the next few weeks should be interesting.

5. Brando2101

Would you want an offensive coordinator who has never had that job? He has been a head coach but it didn't work out too well.

6. gucci888

He clarified that Brewster wouldn't be brought in as the OC, said special teams and recruiting coordinator.

7. Brando2101

Here are some evaluations on players UT has offered. Normally not post worthy but we are in the slow season for football talk. There are highlight videos at the web link. They don't embed properly on CF. https://247sports.com/college/texas...-Texas-Longhorns-recruiting-offers--111396569

Then I don't see why anyone would think he would go to Texas instead of A&M with his current coach. They are not going to be outbid for the guy given how vital he is in recruiting. I think this is Chip Brown just throwing **** out of there. I haven't seen anyone else link Reid Ryan to the Texas AD position.

That's such a big deal. Coming in early and going through spring makes such a big difference in early contributions. Malik Jefferson, Zach Shackelford,Shane Buechele, Colin Johnson, Connor Williams and Sam Ehlinger all enrolled early and played better than your average freshmen at their respective positions.

BJ Foster (Top Safety in the Nation) is also set to enroll early if UT can keep him as will Anthony Cook (2nd Ranked CB in the Nation) if they can get him to commit. It could slightly ease the anxiety about losing 3 of our starting DBs to the draft.

#10367 Brando2101, Nov 30, 2017
  8. gucci888

Who knows what the position would be but hopefully Herman can figure something out to keep him out of College Station.

Chip is wrong all the time so I always take everything with a grain of salt but no one is really reporting on the AD position except for him. Should be noted he only said Ryan is someone Texas could target.

9. gucci888

Elliott just declared for the draft and skipping the bowl game.

10. Brando2101

Bummer. It looks like both of our safety recruits are enrolling early. That means we could have 3 early enrollee DBs if we get Cook.

I though Sumlin getting fired would mean we could steal some recruits from A&M but I'm now worried about keeping everyone with Jimbo Fisher coming in.

#10370 Brando2101, Nov 30, 2017
  11. gucci888

Some potential opportunity with the NCAA allowing all Ole Miss players to transfer without sitting out. Ole Miss recruited the hell out of Texas including a few that Strong and company really went after. Apparently Anderson is heading to OU and wouldn't be surprised if Little followed him there but Herman needs to go all in on both, day 1 starters immediately.

(Pulled from Shaggy) All Texas players:

Deontay Anderson - DB - SO-1L
    DaMarkus Lodge - WR - JR-2L
    Grant Restmeyer - QB - FR-RS
    Victor Evans - DE - JR-2L
    Floyd Allen - WR - JR-JC
    D'Vaughn Pennamon - RB - SO-1L
    Jaylon Jones - DB - SO-1L
    Mohamed Sanogo - LB - FR-HS
    Greg Little - OL - SO-1L
    Ryder Anderson - DE - FR-HS
    Ross Donelly - DT - JR-2L
    Jordan Hebert - DT - JR-2L

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Surprised it's taking so long (that post was from 2012 I think). I just thought firing Mack at that time without a clear-cut replacement would be dangerous. But yeah, you couldn't not fire Mack.

13. Brando2101

GREAT point. People forget that kicker Anthony Fera was a transfer from Penn St for the 2012-2013 season. He had a monster year in 2013 and was the last good kicker we had.

On the subject of sanctions, I'm sure we'll see the results of the current Baylor investigation before the start of next season. The NCAA opted earlier this year not to hastily unleash Penn St like penalties against Baylor because a judge ruled that they didn't have the authority to do that. They've been doing one of their long painstaking investigations into the 1 thing they are good at. Player eligibility. The question is if Baylor played guys that should have been deemed ineligible due to breaking university rules. It's an interesting approach. I'm not sure if there is a precedent of classifying players as ineligible due to university rules like they would for players taking cash. Maybe you could say it's the same thing as guys playing who should be academically ineligible? If they can make that argument then Baylor is ****ed.

14. Brando2101

Sigh... it was nice to have recruiting momentum for a few months. This article is just speculation but the author really really knows his stuff.

From EJ Holand at 247.

Uprising likes this.
  15. gucci888

My mistake. Looks like only seniors will be granted the exemption.

16. gucci888

Looks like most of this prospects were A&M leans to begin with but Coburn would be a huge loss.

But we'll see how Herman counters. There are rumblings that we'll see a shakeup in the staff but not likely before the bowl game or early enrollee date but wonder if this changes timelines somewhat.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is bad news. Fisher is a good recruiter.

18. Brando2101

Chip brown has an update on Florida St assistant Tim Brewster. GIANT GRAIN OF SALT
    -He added that Brewster is interested in working for Texas.
    -He knows some close to Tom who endorsed Brewster as an older hand who kids on the team like and respect who is , of course, a star recruiter.
    -"Brewster once told me his biggest regret as a head coach at Minnesota was not hiring Tom Herman as his OC. I think Brewster would love to come back to A-Town and work with Tom."

He's not going to come in to be an OC and I don't know how likely it is we only see the firing of the current WR coach especially when that didn't seem to be a weak spot on the team. I would hope they would have a candidate in mind if they fired Beck. I'm not sure who the hot coordinators are. I'm sure Sonny Cumbie would tell them to get lost or score another raise from TCU if he taxes a Texas interview. The only thing Texas could have going for them is that Kenny Hill and a bunch of other starters are graduating.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texas Bowl vs Missouri

20. gucci888

Tough matchup with our 4 best defensive players out. Was gonna skip any bowl game but hard to do in your own backyard.