1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

Recruiting rankings.....

So *that's* why Warren wasn't getting the ball, just to lull them into complacency and set up the pass. Brilliant strategy.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

**** our kicker for ruining Ehlinger's GW drive

tinman likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Just kick the damn ball on 3rd down.

Great job by Warren. That's just stupid though, asking for a fumble all 3 downs.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

AWESOME PUSH!!!!

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We got our QB. If we only had a mediocre kicker.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If there were any questions about who the QB is, they are gone now.

Also, running the ball was the right call. I don't trust Rowland as far as I can throw him.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Winning beats losing in college football.

Hopefully the Horns are building something nice.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fun game. This was one of those I feel like we would've blown in the past few seasons and the K did all he could to make it another one.

Hate for anyone to lose their job to injury but think you got to roll with Sam moving forward.

9. Buck Turgidson

If you don't trust your kicker to kick a glorified XP and you're going to run the ball, don't run it up the gut 3 straight times against an overloaded box...Sam or Carter could have waltzed into the endzone if they ran it to the right. They were asking for a USC replay. That's all I was saying.

10. gucci888

In all seriousness, Herman should hold tryouts this week for a walk on K.

11. Buck Turgidson

Oh absolutely, there's gotta be a HS kicker or soccer player on campus.

Other than the Penn St. transfer, who was decent, when's the last time they had a better than mediocre kicker, Tucker?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There are 3 kickers on the roster. What are the other 2 doing?

13. gucci888

Chris Naggar was preferred walk on that some thought would be good. Got to be pretty terrible if you can't beat out Rowland who has been just as bad in practice per Herman.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Just win, baby! No more of this giving up and playing well is good enough. Good enough is defined by the win. No more acting like losers who don't care about winning. Winning is the fun part, everything else is hard work dedicated to getting that W.

[​IMG]

If people tell you that winning isn't that important, let me tell you what they look like...

THIS is University of Texas style ball.

Duncan McDonuts and Houstunna like this.
  15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Brandon Jones is a true sophomore with 1 start before this year. It's not his fault he's starting without the chance to learn behind talented upperclassmen. You need to develop talent and his freshman year was a garbage dump that involved the sacking of his defensive coordinator for a head coach who still didn't know what he was doing. He's going to be a good player for the team.

You can't ask for better momentum going into the game against OU. Hopefully, Carter gets a lot of reps in practice so he can be a bigger part of the plan against OU so you can trust him more to give him the ball towards the end of the game. I can see him having a breakout game in Dallas.

One thing Sam did really well was to get the ball in the hands of two of UT's most athletic players: Humphrey and Hemphill-Mapps. Get those guys the ball and let them make things happen in the open field. The Humphrey leap wasn't very smart but it was a good example of raw athleticism. They need to be as creative as possible at getting the ball to the receiving core. It's by far the deepest part of the team.

I thought the backup Center (Cuney) did a pretty good job. The dude is strong.

16. Brando2101

17. Buck Turgidson

Hahaha...WTF is that? How have I never seen it before?

18. Brando2101

Not sure. I post it every year. It's from a sports radio station in Oklahoma. I think the adults are the radio hosts and the kid is the son of the one singing. They made it the season after we had the 3 way tie for the big 12 south division where OU won the tie breaker despite losing to Texas. That's what they are referring to with the line, "They say they won this, they say they won that but they ain't the big 12 Champions."

Ugh, just writing that hurts. I still think that 08 Texas team was better than the 09 team that lost to Alabama in the title game. Thank god they didn't make Shipley graduate even though the dude was a 10th year senior.

Don't click unless you are a glutton for punishment
    [​IMG]

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Blake Gideon had such a solid career at UT, shame how one thing can overshadow it all.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To this day, the Tech game is my biggest sports gut punch. Pujols' home run was bad, but we won the series. Lillard's shot hurt, but I had a thicker skin of sports disappointment built up by then.

I vividly remember sitting in my West Campus apartment with my roommates, watching the Tech game. When we saw the ball hit Gideon in the chest, we thought it was an interception. Then we saw the ball come out and immediately the room grew tense. When Crabtree caught the touchdown, there was an outburst of cursing and then West Campus was quieter on a Saturday night than I'd ever heard before.