1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I might go too.
    I know there will be lots of orange at the stadium

Hustle Town likes this.
  3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That. Was awesome. Thanks for sharing bud.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Some tidbits from 247

Warren was the running back working with the No. 1 offense. It looks like Porter's return to contact might come too late into prep for the 1st game to be considered for the starting job. I mean, starting RB in college football doesn't mean much. They switch them out constantly.

The starting TE Andrew Beck is out indefinitely. That's a position that was very thin in passing TE depth. Graduate transfer Kendall Moore will get a look as well as the freshmen that Herman brought in.

The 1st game should be exciting. At least any pitfalls will feel like a learning process instead of an agonizing debacle like last year. The team could be a real mess in the 1st game as they figure out how to work together but I don't think you'll see any problems with effort or a defense that just looks lost with where to go like last year. It seems like Sophomore Brandon Jones is going to start which is cool to see. I think there is a lot of raw talent elsewhere in the secondary but they just didn't know what they were doing last year.

I could see the offense doing very very well or very poorly in the first game. The saving grace last year was Foreman and the offensive line. Both the RB and OL are the weakest parts of our offense with respect to cohesion and injuries. Moving around guys on the line like we have is never a good thing and having to find a new tackle is especially scary. I hope Shane bulked up because one missed block on the end and he could be down and out. Denzel Okafor is young but he was a good player in high school and you just have to hope for the best. Luckily, Connor Williams is anchoring that left tackle position and he's money. All of the guys that cover the team believe he is the most likely to leave after his Junior year. He's already seen as a likely 1st round pick. We'll see what effect the strength conditioning has on his play.

I've been nervous about the RB since the end of last season and nothing has changed. You still have guys that can't stay healthy and that have all missed major parts of spring and fall camps. If we can't get consistent quality play then opposing LBs are going to sit back and feed on Shane all day.

Everyone who follows the team is saying nothing but good things about Shane. Apparently he has become very vocal and emerged as a team leader. I think this is a position that you have high hopes for.

I feel pretty good about the WR core. There is a lot of depth there. I think the issue is if Shane can throw it up the middle which is something he didn't do last year. I assume there was a reason why Gilbert didn't call those passes. I think those throws are going to be especially valuable with Heard at the slot.

I haven't seen anything anyone (coaching staff and reporters) say anything positive about Malik Jefferson. We'll see how that goes.

I feel good about a potential 9 win regular season. 7 wins might be more realistic given the lack of proven depth at most positions. Give these kids a year in Herman's system and I think you could easily see a big 12 title in 2018.

peleincubus and Hustle Town like this.
  5. Brando2101

The second highest-rated member of the 2017 signing class won't be able to enroll and join the Longhorns this fall. Does it seem like this happen with Charlie's recruits more than it happens at other schools?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Definitely more than Mack seemed to have but happens quite often at other schools, especially in the SEC. Bama and A&M come to mind.

7. Brando2101

They released a video of the new weight room. It looks.... like a weight room.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Number 23. Can Texas stay ranked the entire season?? If they win their first 2 games and don't get thumped at USC I think they might be ok.

9. gucci888

Nice little face lift. Getting rid of that 40 yard dash area and putting free weights there gives them a ton more room.

10. gucci888

We go through an absolute gauntlet against K-State (#20), OU (#7), and Oklahoma State (#10) right after Iowa State. It's gonna be tough.

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Don't forget Kansas

LonghornFan likes this.
  12. gucci888

Luckily we don't play them until mid-November...

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

BREAKING: OT Rafiti Ghirmai Commits to Texas
    By: Andrew King | The Football Brainiacs

Texas has landed a top target at offensive tackle in Wakeland (TX) OT Rafiti Ghirmai. He held offers from LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, and more. Things started to swing in Texas’ favor after LSU landed a commitment from Cameron Wire in in early June and Ghirmai took a visit to Texas in mid-June. After the Texas visit he visited Alabama a week later. And at the end of July he took visits to UCLA and Michigan. But this one has been over for weeks now, there were some picking him to head to UCLA leading up to a few days before the commitment. All I can say is that someone must have been feeding them false information.

Ghirmai is Texas’ second OT commit to go along with Seminole (TX) OT Reese Moore. Ghirmai is also commitment #18 in Tom Herman’s early Top 3 2018 class.

#9613 Hustle Town, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Now we just need to flip Anthony Cook.

15. Bob Barker 007

I will never forget Kansas. In fact, I thank them for helping to get rid of Charlie Strong, so that we may now have Tom Herman. I know two people you will never forget: Deshaun Watson and Hunter Renfrow.

#9615 Bob Barker 007, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Hustle Town likes this.
  16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

It's almost football season. Thank goodness. I love this time of year.

17. gucci888

Cook hasn't committed anywhere yet but is considered an Ohio State lean at this point. Says he wants to see how the season goes so Herman and Co. will get their shot.

Big pickup for the OL in Rafiti.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Amazing gesture by UT for hosting UH football during hurricane Harvey.

Thank you guys, honestly.

Bob Barker 007 and LonghornFan like this.
  19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

First game is on longhorn network. Why does Xfinity not have this damn channel? Even my parents horrible uverse package has it.

20. gucci888

Schedule showing it's on FS1. 2nd game will be on LHN.