1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(USA Today) Rockets have a shot at LeBron next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Is he willing to be second fiddle and play small ball 5, ala dray?

If so sure..

Otherwise, this is hardens team bruh....

2. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

That would be the best offensive team of all time!

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree with this. You take Lebron if it he is willing to sign for cheap and be a key part of a title team but NOT as “the guy”. Agree he would be of more value to us as a small ball big but Lebron hasn’t played that role willingly at any part in his career so I find it hard to think he will all of a sudden play 2nd or 3rd fiddle and be willing to accept a role he doesn’t want.

...and let’s all be 100% clear here. Lebron is turning 33 later this month. That means even IF he decides to come to Houston to help us with a deep playoff run, he would be 34 and a half when we would be playing those postseason games with us. Lebron is possibly the best player ever but Father Time is STILL undefeated and Kobe was 34 when he started getting injured and falling off. That’s why you don’t gut a roster for CP and Lebron because the odds are high something will happen to one or both of them and then we have screwed our chances of taking advantage of Harden’s prime.

That’s also why PG makes a lot more sense as a target for us - essentially upgrading Ariza while he is starting to decline at the thing that makes him a useful player and extending Harden’s window by pairing him with a top 2 or 3 “3 and D” guy.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Gordon and Anderson go bye bye?

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Only if he comes off the bench. Don't want another Melo here

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Losing our depth would hurt.

As a start, I think we could lose either 2 of EG, Ariza and Anderson without leaving any huge holes since LBJ more than makes up for that, but we really need to keep PJ and Moute in my opinion. I also don't see a situation where we get Lebron without losing Capela with a new contract coming up for him.

Not sure if realistic, but in order to sign Lebron our best case is that we lose Capela, Anderson and Ariza (or swap Ariza for EG). That is a ALOT to lose... but Lebron is Lebron after all. As long as we keep our 2 defensive bench guys (and one of them slots into the starting 5 with Ariza gone), we might have improved on our current team (except for the instability at center). Does Deandre take a HUGE paycut to come to his hometown Rockets?

7. jacoby

jacoby Member

We can keep Capela. His cap hold is not that large.

8. macan

macan Member

well i'm good with PG13 if we miss out on lbj, make it happen morey!

9. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

There's literally no better fit on the Rockets than Lebron. Our death lineup has either Luc (6'8" 230) or Tucker (6'5" 225) at center, LBJ is 6'8 250" and is a massive defensive upgrade over both guys. Not to mention he's arguably the best player of all time, and is probably too unselfish.

Another thing is that our squad would be so good that CP3 and LBJ wouldn't really have to play that many minutes unless they wanted to (28-32 a night). Moving Ryno and EG would be a no brainer to make this happen, and possibly even Capela if we absolutely have to. In the playoffs, we'd rarely be using a traditional center for many minutes anyway and could start someone like Nene for 15-20 minutes a game the same way the Warriors use Pachulia.

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

That possibility has got to appeal to LeBron, the chance to win another 2-3 rings with a historically good team.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I find it hard to believe Tilman won't spend as much as OKC in luxury tax to sign Lebron while keeping our depth if it means a real chance to win.

We'll be basically replacing Ariza with Lebron. Maybe use a MLE to sign Ariza to come off bench.

s3ts likes this.
  12. saner-s88

saner-s88 Member

no god please no

elmotsangtt and hakeemthagreat like this.
  13. s3ts

s3ts Member

Like many are saying, Lebron would have to change his style of play to come play here.

If we are replacing Ryno and possibly EG, we are talking about some great role players we don't really have in Lebron. Can Lebron play off the ball and be a catch-and-shoot player? When you watch him play, does he do these kinds of things?

No, he dominates the ball and plays the point. A position that we are filling with HOF-er in CP and MVP in Harden.

Even the head coach has to adapt, finding plays that will make sense for this team.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has at least 2 more productive years tilll he considers doing that though.... take a major step back. Who knows, anything goes!

I hope they can convince him to being a co captain of the team. That works.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I just edged with my off hand just because it's too good to be true and not to get too comfy.

jacoby likes this.
  16. hakeemthagreat

100% agree. That's a circus I don't want in Houston. Imagine us starting off slow with Lebron here, then rumors leaking "Could Lebron be joining Steph in Golden State after Houston?". Too much starpower can be a problem

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Solution: win THIS year, before he arrives !!!

elmotsangtt likes this.
  18. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

I can say no for this.

19. Jimmy Chitwood

IT'S LEBRON ******* JAMES, WHY ARE PEOPLE THINKING THIS WOULD BE A BAD THING?!?!?!?

"Yeah, but--"

NO. STOP. JUST STOP IT.

If I ask you who the best player of this millennium has been, and it takes you longer than 2 seconds to say Lebron James, remove yourself from this forum immediately because your freezing cold takes are a danger to the rest of us.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Step 1: Sign Lebron

Step 2: Trade Lebron for Rubio and Nerlens Noel

Step 3: Win rings

BigMaloe, amaru and Daddy Long Legs like this.