1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(USA Today) Rockets have a shot at LeBron next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2017.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I wouldn't give a ****, if lebron joins and they get to wreck the GSWs it would be worth it just for that alone.

2. bongman

bongman Member

Agree with your take about PG.

To me, I like the idea if having 3 floor generals that we can swing the ball to or pick and roll with. 3 players that have equal vision on what the defense is offering. Not sure if PG would be equal to LJ in that regards so king would be my preference.

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  3. MD_in_Training

Three floor generals sounds like a good idea, but I am concerned bout what LBJ would do to our spacing. He's shooting better this year, but historically he's not a particularly strong 3 point shooter, especially in the catch and shoot situation.
    Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one, but I think PG is overall the safer option. But LBJ is obviously the option with the higher upside.

bongman likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Love it, lets make that **** happen.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve had discussions recently with @basketballholic about the need for a post up center. I contest that teams
    use other positions to get post ups by way of forced mismatch. Model of the Cavs/Warriors prove this to be
    true imho.

The closet thing to a prominent center in the last 3 championships has been Andrew Bogut. Bogut is not exactly
    the definition of post up center. More of a rim protector, rebounder, screen and roll guy much like Capela.
    Where I will agree with basketballholic is the need for a better post up presence than the Rockets currently have.

per stats nba com

http://stats.nba.com/players/playtype-post-up/

Rockets 17/18 Post Up (Playtype)
    Player.......................Freq...........ppp.............NBA percentile
    Harden.....................2.3%..........0.75....................28.8
    Ryan Anderson........2.1%..........1.60.................... —
    CP3...........................3.6%..........0.80.................... —
    Capela.....................3.3%...........0.67.................... —
    Nene........................4.4%..........1.00..................... —
    Luc MaM.................1.8%...........1.67..................... —
    E Gordon.................0.2%...........2.00..................... —
    Tucker..................... —............... — ....................... —
    I feel this is where Melo would have helped. But Knicks wanted Kanter more than Ryno.

Compared to Warriors 17/18
    Draymond.................7.6%.........0.64.....................12.7 (9.5 last year, I was mistaken on Draymond being used to post up)
    Pachulia....................6.6%........0.56........................ —
    Iggy...........................4.6%.........0.57........................ —
    Casspi.......................5.2%........1.00......................... —
    David West...............16.4%.......0.72.........................23.7
    Klay Thompson.........5.4%.........0.92........................68.4
    Livingston.................15.0%.......1.10.........................89.0
    Durant.......................9.4%.........1.04.........................81.4

Compared to Boston 17/18
    M Smart.......................8.4%.........0.63.......................11.0
    Baynes........................17.1%........0.80.......................37.9
    Horford........................24.8%........0.89.......................59.3
    Jaylen Brown...............8.9%.........0.91........................65.3
    Kyrie Irving..................3.0%..........0.94.......................71.6
    Jason Tatum................4.6%.........1.00........................76.7
    Marcus Morris.............11.0%........1.09........................88.0

So the Post Up is not a big staple to the Rockets Offense. There are different ways to free up the 3 point shot.
    Rockets try to draw multiple defenders to the facilitator thru iso and PnR......kick outs. It would be nice for
    a little Post Up game from the Rockets to create a change of pace (different angle to the kick outs). I’m hoping
    Houston can overcome a lack of Post Up game by accentuating the positives during the playoffs. Such as a player
    leaving Ryan Anderson to help defend CP3/Harden.

If I had to take Paul George or LeBron I would take LeBron. Don’t get me wrong Paul George would be a great
    addition; but LeBron would bring some post up game to the team.
    Paul George (17/18).........3.0%...........0.53.......................7.6
    LeBron (17/18).................11.4%..........0.90......................61.0

Wish Raptors would give us Ibaka
    Serge Ibaka (17/18)...........5.7%..........1.14.......................93.2

Edited: for those wondering about Cavs (17/18) Post UPS
    Crowder..............................3.7%...........0.89....................... —
    Jeff Green..........................9.8%............0.65......................13.6
    Kevin Love........................20.2%..........1.05.......................83.1
    D-Wade............................15.9%...........0.85.......................47.5
    Frye...................................9.0%............1.33....................... —
    ——see LeBron Above——
    Only players of significance for Cavs. Tristan has been hurt much of the year.

#45 ApacheWarrior, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm wondering what the TNT comments would be...

pauebtg likes this.
  7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Can someone do the math for cap wise if Lebron and CP3 both decide to take $10mil/yr or less each with Rockets when they become free agents? Would Anderson be the only guy we have to get rid of to make the cap work?

#47 zcarenow, Dec 10, 2017
  8. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Are you kidding me?! This is Lebron. I will gladly give up Ego and Ryno for Lebron! Yes, Ego is great for us, but Lebron can do much much much better. Ryno stepped up his game this season, but do not forget how hard it was to get rid of him last off season!

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Sounds dope until you think how each one of them wants to be a pg, unless lebron wants to extend his career at least another 2-3 years and take a lesser role and focus mainly on scoring and defending and a bit of facilitating

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He is definitely coming

BigggReddd likes this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

A franchise that hasn’t seen a title in over 2 decades can’t be picky.

D-rock likes this.
  12. meh

meh Contributing Member

The following is just napkin math so probably not that accurate on the exact numbers but more ballpark figures.

Currently Harden/Tucker/Capela/Nene/Gordon = ~59mil. The projected cap will be 108mil. If CP3/LeBron are willing to do 1+1 deals starting at $20ishmil with the handshake agreement the Rockets will take care of them in the back end, we could retain most of our current depth. Letting Gordon go would allow LeBron/CP3 to each get $25mil starting money while replacing Gordon with someone cheap in the $2-3mil range. This can also fit in Ariza/LMM at low amount if they're willing to play cheap for a chance at a ring. This would mean getting rid of Anderson's contract with 1 or 2 1st round picks, and Zhou Qi + Onauaku for nothing. If we need to trade Gordon he probably brings positive value in terms of picks.

Of course the better option if we can get it is simply have LeBron pick up his option and trade to the Rockets. Which is very feasible after what the Clippers did this offseason with CP3. In such a case Gordon + Anderson + salary fillers + picks for LeBron + Korver's contract. This would let the Rockets use their MLE and give CP3 max money.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ask Warriors fans how cheapened they feel about last year's KD title.

#53 topfive, Dec 10, 2017
    alethios and D-rock like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We'd have to gut the team, but a trio of James, Harden and Paul would abso-****ing-lutely have a shot to bring down the Warriors and win it all.

15. KiwiRoxFan

KiwiRoxFan Member

I got a boner

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Remember the last time houston pre-ejeculated over getting a super star? Mello all over again. No need to take second looks at this until lebron himself says he isn't going to resign with Cleveland

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Well, working in Texas will have him be earning alot more without the taxes... so, if you do the numbers it may be feasible to come to Houston win championships and go back to LA in the summer.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Win it all this year first. Next year, Lebron can do a KD and join the best team in NBA, the Rockets.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

So the three best playmakers in the NBA would be on a D’antoni coached team?

D-rock and papoose115 like this.
  20. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

The trade scenario is the best way to go and Wade would come over to fill the 6th man role. It essentially would be Gordon/Anderson for James/Wade/Korver. Everyone does that deal. Wade might do minimum so you could use the taxpayer midlevel for another really solid piece and bring back Moute. That gives you perhaps the most sinister 10 deep team anyone has seen. It fits with the older team because you embrace the minutes/bench roles that spreads out and maximizes the talent to save people for the playoffs. Half the game Rockets, half Cavs instead of Rockets/G League. You sign CP3 to max and have agreement with LBJ for max extension. Capela also locked up. Roster expensive but set for years. Why does Cleveland do the deal? They cannot trade Love, Thompson or the other pieces without attaching assets or getting nothing good in return. They're resigning Thomas and not tanking. Gordon, Anderson, Love, Thompson, Thomas is a playoff team in the East