1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Soccer future in good hands

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ferrari77, Aug 2, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not sure VAR did get it right, it would have to be a pass backwards or laterally and I am not sure - it looked like clear offside to me.

I was disappointed in the lack of off the ball movement by our U20s, we stood around too close to each other far too often leaving giant spaces available in the MF if anyone wanted it.

DD

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

At the moment the ball was passed, the scoring player was completely behind it. the pass was square. All that matters is his position at the moment of the pass.

Agree on the movement. They were all trying to do too much on their own. Too much dribbling to pass instead of the opposite. Still, I'd have put money on that U20 team over the Senior team from the other night.

No Pulisic and Bradley today...but it's supposed to otherwise be the starting XI against Venezuela today. No experimenting today, I hope. Go out and play your game and impose your will on what's supposed to be a weaker opponent.

3. DaDakota

BOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Goalie error cost first goal.
    2nd goal on a throw in header forward - That is Jr. High level crap.
    3rd goal was offside - no VAR.

We suck.

DD

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

5. leroy

Just another horrifyingly embarrassing game. Is Zach Steffen color blind? I've never seen such terrible decision making by a keeper at this level outside of a Jorge Campos-type. One of the first things I teach kids in the youth teams I coach in what time I spend on goalie training is...DON'T PLAY THE BALL IN THE MIDDLE...and if there's a defender on the ball, stay in your box. Paul Arriola is bad. Matt Miazga has no spatial awareness. Altidore continues to have the 1st touch of a brick wall. The only hope in hell we have to be even remotely successful in this tournament will be if Pulisic can carry us. If they fail to get out of the 1st round or even more than 1 game through the knockout stages, Berhalter should already be on the hot seat. He may not be built for this level.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

I have officially posted it into existence. The USA will win the cup and this is the origin story of our dominance.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hope it is true, Mexico still has tons of talent, esp. offensively without Lozano.

8. leroy

DaDakota likes this.
  9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

My son is 12 years old and has already been selected by Barcelona and Real Madrid

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hollar @ my Elsik home-boy Mayno Linares @ :20, got that serious game face on. All American game will be broadcast @ 11 on ESPN U

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Game is coming up @ 11CST.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Starting right now. Didn't realize this was the 1st time this game has been played, a tremendous honor!

#72 Torn n Frayed, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. ROCKETS 4 THE WIN

ROCKETS 4 THE WIN New Member

Not gonna lie soccer is receives way less attention compared to basketball so more people that are athletically talented go on to play basketball.

14. leroy

Ok. Why would we think you're lying? That soccer doesn't get the attention of basketball in this country is not exactly a secret nor in any way surprising. Soccer also isn't really a sport for people that are 6'10" so there might be something there, too.

Also, what's the point of your post? This isn't a thread to discuss why some people might not play soccer It's one to discuss what the future of the US National Team is.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think his post is related, probably wanted to say the best athletes in your country will likely always opt for basketball (and football) and that it hinders the ceiling of US soccer.

16. DaDakota

LOL - that is why FIFA stopped that, because 12 year old stars are usually people who mature faster - and once they hit 16, they are not all that special...and clubs were cutting them.

DD

17. leroy

Yes, this is worldwide but it shows that soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Haha, you were pretty triggered by that kid's post, huh?

19. leroy

I wouldn't say I was triggered. I just happened to come across that today and remembered this post. I'm in no way, shape, or form angry. As a life long soccer player, I've gotten used to the American view...much like as a long time Houstonian, I've gotten used to the media narrative around our teams. I just like to give facts.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's simply a lazy take. Any American soccer fan has heard that and we know that there are more professional sports opportunities here than in many other countries. We get it. What's more surprising is that that poster only has 4 posts on this BBS and subjected us to one of Skip Bayless' greatest take hits with one of them.