1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well why not do something about it? We are in free agency

2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I completely agree. I also don't want them to be overpaying for OL just because they need to upgrade the position. Better for them to marginally improve the position through FA, address the need in the draft with some mid-round picks and then really attack the need next offseason (whether that be with a high-round draft pick or ponying up for any big fish OL free agents). At least that's how I would do it if I were in charge.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Waddle and Fleming weren't overrated. Neither were Hubbard and Howard. I'll give you FA is a little dicey as the players have to want to play for your team. Kicking the can down the road isn't going to make it easier. If anything the prices are going to get even higher next year.

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I didn't really mean that they're overrated. Just that I'm assuming the front office decided that very few (if any) of the big fish OL free agents were worth what they were going to get on the open market. That's why I assume they'll try to build the offensive line with less publicized free agents and through the draft. We'll just have to see if it actually works.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fleming signed for 1 year, 3 million. He and Hubbard were 2nd and 3rd available OTs on the market. Howard is still a FA. He's old but serviceable for a year, maybe two.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That's fine. I assume that they preferred Fulton, Henderson and Kelemete over Fleming, Hubbard and Howard. I was more referring to guys like Solder, Pugh, Norwell, etc. that commanded big money.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

J.J. Watt on his rehab: 'It's going well. It's been going real well. I'm just excited to be training'

Watt: "Excited to be training. Looking forward to the season. Great to be back with the guys."

J.J. Watt: 'I've been doing a lot of stuff. It's a long recovery.' Watt emphasized that it's more important that he focus on how he feels by the season, not how he feels now

J.J. Watt said he learned a lot from the pain and frustration he dealt with when he missed games in previous two years ago due to back surgeries "The biggest thing I learned is it's one step at a time and not get so frustrated it's not going faster.'

Watt says no one will believe he’s feeling “unbelievable” until season starts & he’s back on the field.

J.J. Watt: 'I need to be ready for the first game. I love the game. I love the competition. I love being tthere with the guys in the weight room with the guys in the locker room.'

Watt on wanting to return to football: I broke my back and I broke my leg and the passion is still there.

Watt on Mercilus: "Whitney in my opinion is one of the most underrated pass rushers in the league."

J.J. Watt on Tyrann Mathieu: 'When you see someone like that, you want him on your team. I've known him for a few years now. I love getting to know him, his positivity and motivation'

J.J. Watt on Barbara Bush: 'I can't speak highly enough to how I think of Barbara. She's the best. She's an awesome woman.'

Watt on #DW4: "Obviously we saw a glimpse of what he's capable of."

J.J. Watt on Romeo Crennel: 'I love RAC. He has a brilliant football mind. Even better than his football mind is his personality'

J.J. Watt on Brian Cushing: 'Cush was a staple here for a very long time. He did a great job.'

J.J. Watt on Johnathan Joseph being back: 'He's pretty much a coach on the field.'

J.J. Watt on Bob McNair comments: 'What I said a while back still stands today, a lot of conversations and dialogues in locker room we've never had before. I think it's opened up a new dialogue. Guys are having meaningful and powerful conversations'

J.J. Watt on Deshaun Watson and what impressed him: 'Throw a lot of touchdowns. The guy put up an incredible amount of touchdowns in the short amount of time he played'

J.J. Watt: 'We don't live in a cocoon. We know the Astros won the World Series. We know the Rockets are in the playoffs. Texas is a football state, and we need to hold up our end of the bargain'

Tyrann Mathieu: 'I've been really blessed to be around some veterans. I just want to bring some energy.'

Mathieu: "I just want to bring energy and competitiveness. I want that to show every day."

Tyrann Mathieu: 'I've been very blessed I did have some adversity. That's just hard work, putting in the work and understanding I may be the only person that believes in me and that's okay.'

Tyrann Mathieu on Bob McNair comments and if it affected his decision: 'No not really, I had a chance to talk with him and I think he's a great man.'

Tyrann Mathieu said he's going to start meeting with Andre Hal every Thursday to get their communication and chemistry rolling

Tyrann Mathieu on recruiting Dez Bryant: 'You just want that person to feel like he's wanted again. I messaged him last night trying to get him here.'

Tyrann Mathieu: 'I do feel like I'm back. The confidence is there. All those things are back. I'm only going to get better, which is scary'

Tyrann Mathieu said in Arizona he wasn't allowed to compete in practice much with Larry Fitzgerald as a precautionary measure. He was assured by the Texans that he will get to compete hard with WRs like DeAndre Hopkins

Mathieu: "I'm happy to be in Houston. I'm happy to be close to my family. I'm happy to feel back at home."

Tyrann Mathieu said, due to injuries, his confidence was a bit down at one point in Arizona. 'I think I was fortunate that God blessed me. It's going to be a long journey. I'll be ready for whatever happens.'

DeAndre Hopkins said he got recognized a lot during his trip to Paris: 'Global'

DeAndre Hopkins: 'I don't think I've reached my peak.' Said that applies to Deshaun Watson 'The sky is the limit'

Hopkins on Watson: "I expect us to be the best duo in the NFL, honestly. That's our goal. The sky's the limit with what that kid can do."

DeAndre Hopkins on Dez Bryant: 'I love Dez. I looked up to him in college. I watched him a lot in college and high school. I've always been a fan of his. Why not reach out to a guy who can help a team win? He's a great receiver'

DeAndre Hopkins on Bob McNair comments: 'Bob is a great guy, I could never say anything bad about him.' Said his walkout from practice wasn't about McNair's 'inmates' comments, said he had personal issues he needed to deal with that day

Hopkins credits his success despite consistent QBs to learning from Andre Johnson. He learned to put the pressure on himself, not the QB.

DeAndre Hopkins on Tyrann Mathieu: 'Hopefully, we can sharpen each other.'

DeAndre Hopkins on Will Fuller: 'If Fuller can stay healthy, sky is the limit for him. Injuries, you can't control all injures. I think he's going to have the best season yet'

Whitney Mercilus: 'I feel fresh, I feel energized. I can't wait to put on the pads.'

Mercilus on his health: "100 percent, no doubt. Got cleared about a month ago. Ready to rock and roll."

Whitney Mercilus on Romeo Crennel back as DC: 'It's always been his defense. We love playing for RAC. He doesn't get mad too often. He holds everyone accountable'

Whitney Mercilus on Mike Vrabel to Titans HC: 'It's very well deserved on Vrabel's part. He's a very knowledgeable guy'

Whitney Mercilus said he means that Romeo Crennel's personality and scheme has always defined the Texans' defense. "I see him as a father figure'

Whitney Mercilus said it'll be different without Brian Cushing: 'He's always been the heart and soul. That's just how the game goes'

Mercilus: "We've got a lot of potential on this team, but potential means nothing unless you put in the work. Right now it's about building a foundation."

Texans center Nick Martin said he's getting married June 30th

Nick Martin said nutrition for Texans has improved, more organic food this year

Nick Martin said he's resumed running again after ankle surgery

Nick Martin says recovering from his ankle injury easier the second time around, especially from the mental aspect.

Texans center Nick Martin said his recovery from ankle surgery: 'It really makes you appreciate the game of football'

Deshaun Watson on the revamped offense Bill O'Brien is planning: 'It's going to be fun.'

Deshaun Watson noncommittal on what he'll do at organized team activities, says team will be cautious with him. Once he's back though emphasized: 'I won't be hesitant.'

Deshaun Watson: 'My game's not changing.' on if he'll change style of play after torn ACL

Deshaun Watson on what the Rockets and Astros have been doing, he's been going to their games and making friends with their players; 'We want to be at the level they're at. Why not us? We have the players, the coaching staff and work ethic.'

Watson on Mathieu: "He's one of the best defenders in the league... One of the players I've looked up to since high school. He's going to bring good energy and toughness to the defense."

Deshaun Watson on a healthy Will Fuller: 'Once you get the ball in his hands, he's deadly. It's very scary the potential we have.'

Watson on Hopkins: "As far as potential, it's through the roof... Our mindset is that we want to break records together, and as a team."

Deshaun Watson on training with J.J. Watt: 'He's keeping me motivated. I'm keeping him motivated. We try to bring that good energy and positive vibes. The chemistry, friendship and brotherhood is building up. We can really trust each other'

Deshaun Watson on his recovery from torn ACL: 'I'm very confident in the work I've put in with the training staff. Just taking it one step at a time.'

#2530 J.R., Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Rodman23 and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. Nimo