1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial] MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tha_Dude, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Well jv would pitch game 6 in htown i assume after keuchel game 5 in the bronx.

Game 6 is 10/20, today is 10/14 so why would he only be getting 3 days rest?

Houstunna likes this.
  2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yep, and the fact that we're having to work our DK and Verlander well past 100 pitches in some of these games also poses another problem -- Will they be able to sustain this should we make it to the world series?

We cantr use them on snort rest.

Sooner or later, our bullpen has to step up and we have to trust it.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

True, day off

I don't believe Keuchel has started on 3 days. But that day off probably means he's Game 5

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Forgot about the day off.

Was stuck thinking, "JV pitched right after Keuchel this time, so why the hell not next time too." :)

Devo really disappointed walking that guy.. but solid outings from a couple relievers would quickly strengthen my faith.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Gotta get to the World Series before worrying about how rested the starters are.

6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

You also need the starters to be sharp if you want to win the world series. Would be nice if we had more than one dude on the bullpen we could rely on to get outs. What happened to Dvo and Harris? Do we not trust these dudes anymore?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Keuchel and Verlander will be on full rest in games 5 and 6.

We have 4 talented and capable starters to get through the next 2 games, and an offense that's bound to explode in one of them

8. Jeremy Williams

It's the playoffs. You put your best arms in as long as you can. The next 2 games will be played a LOT differently than today.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Keuchel and Verlander will be resting as Games 5 and 6 will not be needed. :)

Pen15clubber and Roc Paint like this.
  10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Wait... Keuchel will be 4 days rest by Game 5.

@Mathrocker

1 + 1 + 1 + 1 does equal 4

[​IMG]

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Gotta get to the World Series before worrying about winning it.

Are you arguing that Verlander should have been pulled after the 7th or 8th?

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If we close out the ALCS...I have to say...I'd prefer playing the Cubs. They are not last year's club...still ridiculously talented, of course....but the pitching doesn't seem as sharp to me at all (though i haven't looked at numbers to see if that's true).

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. I think you basically plan to go tandem starter with Morton + Peacock, and then McCullers + McHugh (or some variation). Try to get ~6-7 innings from the tandem, and bridge to Musgrove, Devo, and Giles.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Right now the Yankees can't win in fewer than 6 games. And Keuchel and Verlander would start on full rest in Games 5 and 6 respectively. I like the Astros' chances if they can muster at least a few more runs than they have in these first 2 games. Games 3 and 4 do concern me though.

15. Major

Major Member

Those guys will be heavily used the next 2 games, I imagine. I assume all 4 of our other starters will be used too, in whatever combination (Peacock, Morton, McCullers, McHugh). There will be no going to Verlander in Game 4 or anything this time around.

Keep in mind also that Devo has pitched in 4 out of 6 playoff games so far.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering he'll have only faced 2 batters in week before Game 3, I think saying Devo has pitched in 4 of 6 playoff games gives the wrong impression as to how much Devo can be used.

Nook likes this.
  17. jsingles

jsingles Member

The hope is obviously for.a sweep, but it's paramount to win 1 of the next 2 so we're up 3-1 with a fully rested Keuchel and Verlander. For NY to make this a series they need to win the next two games, I think our offense wakes up more than theirs does and this is a short series. Every article I'm reading about predictions has this going 6 or 7, some with the Yanks winning in 6. I don't think it should go more than 5.

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hope you are right but i predict yankees get 2 out of 3 in the bronx and we close at home in 6

Nook likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

I didn't mean in terms of how much he CAN be used going forward - but that the Astros have trusted him a reasonable amount so far.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hope Cubs take it tonight so that series goes as long as possible

Pen15clubber and Tfor3 like this.