1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyrann Mathieu to sign 3-yr, $42M deal with Chiefs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No..they didn't have to tell him. They could have signed him and traded him whenever. Once they told him, he took away what control they had.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So you know how long was willing to wait. Dont respond without answering this simple question

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That has nothing to do with Miami

4. bobrek

You missed a word so I assume you meant how long was Miami willing to wait. I have no earthly idea.

What I do know is that once they told him that they wanted to trade him to Miami, they lost total control of the situation.

5. bobrek

More from Clowney...

"It was getting close to the time I said I'd come in, and all of a sudden [O'Brien] called me and said, 'You need to come in and talk to us.' When I got there they're talking about me signing the tender and going to the Dolphins (via trade). They said, 'It'll be good for you and good for us.' I'm like, 'Good for me? They're gonna tank the season for a damn quarterback! Find me a team that can win, and I'll sign the damn tender.'

"People say, 'He was trying to leave.' That's a lie. I didn't ask them to trade me. I didn't even ask them to pay me any more. I just wanted to play one last year with my teammates. But hey, it's part of the business. It was a business move, and I got the short end of the stick at the time. Now? It looks like I got the big end of the stick."

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No

You dont know when Miami wanted the deal done. But i get it, BoB so you dont take this crucial variable into consideration

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dont give a **** about Clowney's timeline. Its Miami's timeline we don't know

8. bobrek

And just as important, you don’t know their timeline either. They could have been willing to wait until Clowney signed the tender and (according to Clowney) he would have signed it prior to the first game.

But...what was clearly evident, based on actions and Clowney himself, is that once they told him they wanted to trade him to Miami, they gave Clowney control of the situation.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They didn't may have done out of necessity is the point

You keep jumping to the result. I'm arguing why he did ut

#149 pgabriel, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; linking Brown to Clowney doesn't work for me. Brown's situation was different for many reasons, other than the final outcome, which is they needlessly traded a valuable piece for pennies on the dollar.

The Clowney situation is all on the Texans. Yes, they apparently wanted to trade him for Tunsil, which they could've done without his knowledge/signature earlier in the process. Now, Miami may have balked at that (getting him unsigned), I don't know. But the Texans inexplicably dragged their feet on Clowney and lost any leverage they could have had.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Technically, they didn't have to sign him to trade him *prior to (I believe) July 1*. After that, his signature is required.