1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyrann Mathieu to sign 3-yr, $42M deal with Chiefs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Addae was the up man in punts...but he was hurt. Reid may have volunteered or was a backup. Dont know...

The special teams coach is responsible for the personnel.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You are clearly missing the point. Why was he also playing on special teams?

Regardless if the regular guy was hurt, (unless it was during the game) someone else, perhaps the fullback, should have been in there.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Because you only have so many people on the active roster. There will always be starters playing some special teams, especially as an up man on punts if there are injuries.

4. bobrek

I understand that...but why is the guy already toughing it out with a season long torn labrum and arguably their best defensive back also playing special teams? I strongly suspect they had another guy they could have turned to. Seems the absolute perfect job for Cullen Gilaspia. A fullback with blocking and running experience.

5. Major

Major Member

The 49ers offense this year was the 2nd highest scoring in the league - above KC and behind Baltimore. Titans were also one of the 4 or 5 highest scoring offenses - much better than the Texans - after the switch to Tannehill.

KC had a great offense in 2018. The way they won the SB was by upgrading their defense from one of the worst in the league to middle tier (and arguably elite in the latter half of the season). Matheiu was a big part of that and that's why he was named defensive MVP.

Maybe he is or isn't worth the money - but the Texans sat on $20MM in capspace last year that they didn't even use, so it's hard to argue it mattered. Or they could have kept Clowney for an extra year with no downside. At the end of the day, KC is an example of a team that upgraded over the offseason and maximized their chances to win. The Texans are an example of a team that didn't - they made trades out of spite and left a huge amount of money unused.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I dont know why they didn't spend the money . That's another subject

But they had a better season without Clowney or Mathieu. As far as making trades out of spite, Clowney held out for no reason. Regardless he isn't the future plans. With more time this off season they will have time to make good acquisitions

You're a smart guy, you think he traded a guy out of spite? Regardless of the stupid ownership doesn't care talk around here, im sure he knows no job is worth risking out of spite, despite how stupid you've convinced yourself he is.

7. bobrek

What are you basing their 'better season' on? Statistically their defense gave up around 70 more points and 700+ yards this season than last.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Moving further in the playoffs

9. bobrek

Do you think that Mathieu and Clowney would have helped them slow down the Chief's onslaught?

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We'll never know. I think they would have made a little bit of a difference. Not enough to get past the coaching of Reid and his assistant Bill O'Brien.

pgabriel likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They absolutely blew every single step of the Clowney deal (which still makes no sense) and, yes - in hindsight - letting Mathieu walk was a poor allocation of ample financial resources. But adding Tunsil, Stills & Johnson to surround/support their best player wasn't maximizing their chances to win?

There's ample room to criticize their approach, which cost them significant draft capital and prioritized offense at the expense of defense. They also, for whatever reason, seemed late to the party in terms of identifying and addressing their needs. But those were significant, win-now upgrades, IMO.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

No they didn't. This year's Texans scored fewer points and gave up a ton more points than last year's Texans.

Yes, I do. He got no return for an all-pro defensive end. The 3rd round pick was theirs anyway if they let him walk this year. And they paid $8MM of his salary, so they only saved $12MM. If Clowney held out the whole season, the Texans would have saved money; if he played, they would have gotten an all-pro player. Either way, they'd have been better off. Frank Clark, of similar value, netted a 1st & 2nd round pick. Clowney netted two waiver-wire type players and still having to pay $8MM of his salary.

This is not the first time they've done this. They traded Duane Brown basically the same way and now they've spent the last several years (and lots of resources) trying to find a ... Duane Brown. Seattle has made a habit of looking at our pouting allstars and paying a penny on the dollar for them. Tunsil cost they far more than they got for a similar but more proven Brown.

I didn't mean they didn't make any win-now moves. But it's like if the Astros traded prospects for Mookie Betts while trading Garrit Cole for prospects. It's just a mish mash of moves with no real direction in the end.

The Texans' upgraded their offense which made them more sound and more versatile (unfortunately, they forgot to get a coach who could maximize this and ended up scoring fewer points than the previous year). But they also got rid of 2 of their best players on defense while sitting on plenty of money and were completely predictably far, far worse on defense.

vinsensual and Hey Now! like this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This might be semantics - but I don't believe they traded either out of "spite" as, especially with Brown, that's exactly what they wanted (Clowney likely did, too). I think they traded both because they didn't like them - again, that may be semantics...

At least with Brown, he was an agitator - I'm not siding with the Texans AT ALL - that was a giant misfire. But Brown was angling to force their hand. As far as everything we know, Clowney was content here - BO'B just didn't like him, which is silly and bad and indefensible.

vinsensual and csj like this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Major

The Brown situation was very unique in Brown taking a stabd against McNair. They wanted to trade Clowney for Tunsil. They had to tell him so he would sign the tag. He balked. It went downhill

15. bobrek

They did not have to tell him. He could have signed the tag then they could have turned around and traded him.

Now...for future goodwill it might be beneficial to be upfront about that sort of thing but there is no requirement.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We don't know the circumstances of the timing on what Miami wanted. All we know is you can't trade an unsigned player

Nobody knows when he planned to show up. What really bothers me about the criticism is people saying Clowney told them when he would show up. The fact is he wasn't signed. Period

17. bobrek

That doesn't change what I wrote. They did not have to tell Clowney they were trading him in order to have him sign the tag.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If Miami wanted the deal done in a certain time, they did have to tell him.

You know how long Miami was willing to wait?

I know you think O'Brien is an idiot. I get it

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A top fop three left tackle is on the trading block. You have a deal in place. You wait on a guy holding out cause he don't want top 5 money at his position? You think Miami aint fielding other offers?

Let your BoB hate go and analyze the situation logically.

20. bobrek

Here is what Clowney had to say.....

"What people don't know about that situation was, O'Brien called me five or six times over the offseason, and I always told him I would come in and sign the tender, but not till right before the season," Clowney said...