1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV) Vikings !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Apr 8, 2013.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has to make it, but I am pretty baffled as to how. The Gods to the rescue?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The only mention in actual history of the blood Eagle is when Ivar does it to the man who kills his father...will be interesting to see if they follow through with that.

DD

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I wonder who. King Ecbert?

4. DaDakota

King Aella - North Umbria's King.

DD

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ahhhhhhhh... Can't wait. But I hope they hold off on killing Ragnar as long as possible. As great an actor as Ivar is, The Ragnar and Ivar scenes together are just too good.

6. DaDakota

I know it would suck if he dies - Here is how he dies - if you are interested.

He is dropped into a pit of Vipers

DD

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is not actual history, that is more Norse mythology. Anglo-Saxon history has Aella dying in battle.

In any event, the show is completely messed up with historical accuracies, timelines, etc. some things it is having as earlier than actual history, others are later. People, events, etc. It started out seeming to attempt some historical nods but is straight mythology at this point.

8. DaDakota

It is a TV show.....who cares?

DD

9. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I don't except that I wish it knew what it wanted to be from the beginning.

As for my post, you were talking about what happened in history and I was pointing out that you were quoting mythology.

10. DaDakota

I read conflicting reports, one says battle one says blood eagle, which is the definitive source?

DD

11. rimbaud

Supporting Member

In general you can't really trust the Ragnar Lodbrok sagas because they are filled with magic and mysticism. It is a little bit like King Arthur legends. There might be some historical basis but Ragnar Lodbrok could be a composite of a bunch of Ragnars (there were a lot) or some wholly made up. But the same chronicles that call Iva's mother a powerful sorceress should be taken with a grain of salt when compared with Anglo-Saxon histories (which can still be problematic in their own right). Keep in mind Scandanavians were a mostly non-literate culture at the time so any "history" was word of mouth storytelling.

What is most likely is that there were a few Ragnars but none seemed to be an ultimate leader kind of figure. For the time, Ivar the Boneless seems to be the biggest fear for the Anglo-Saxons (and he was a military leader and not a cripple).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It absolutely did know what it wanted to be from the beginning, historical fiction. Easy enough right?

13. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Historical fiction doesn't usually have magic in it. The magic has increased over the seasons. That is all I meant. Not a big deal but I prefer for shows to be more obvious when fantasy so people don't think anyone of it is accurate.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Mysticism and magic is a huge part of all kinds of historical fiction. The Bible is a huge example. Polytheistic religions are just as rich. I don't really see the problem.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Was that not awesome?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The last two seasons were showing the dismantling of a legend.

17. DaDakota

Wow - killing the main actor, has any series EVER survived that? Will this series? I mean there are powerful characters, Bjorn, Ivar, Lagatha, Floki, but will the series be able to hold it's audience without Ragnar?

I mean for the short term people will want to see the revenge for him, but as time goes by, he fades, and will the audience stay?

Unreal.

DD

#77 DaDakota, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yeah, you should spoil that.

I am not sure why you are shocked. It was pretty obvious he was going to die...maybe not this early on in the season.

Ragnar has become uninteresting. He had to go. I suspect we will see another season and then the show will be done.

#78 Space Ghost, Dec 29, 2016
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Definitely should have spoilered those comments DD.

His death gives the last 5 episodes momentum and the revenge angle should be interesting. IMO, Ivar is savvy enough to accept Lagertha's help in avenging Ragnar but he will kill her immediately afterwards while in Wessex (maybe he kills Ecbert and Lagertha in the same room consecutively). I think Lagertha knows her death is coming. A major new character very important for next season will be introduced shortly.

I doubt the show can survive past next season. Regardless, that was an epic sendoff!

#79 A_3PO, Dec 29, 2016
  20. DaDakota

Spoilers, suggest those that quoted clean theirs up too.

DD