1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. For me and the Mrs, that was deadly. Loved the space realism but we couldn't sort, much less care about, any of the people.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Definitely was a slow burn . . . .the action was few and far between
    I liked it and watched it all but i could see how some could not like it

Seems like they got so caught up in the realism they forgot to make it interesting

Rocket River

B-Bob and DreamShook like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...it is VERY interesting. Not every show set in space has to be an full on action spectacle. It is actually very like the Battlestar Galactica remake. A character driven show, set in space, that will does have action as a secondary device.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Except the character were not all that interesting

Rocket River

DreamShook and B-Bob like this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

or likeable, which is sort of needed.

7. KingCheetah

The actors they chose did not fit my mental image of them from the books at all especially Holden.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Agreed.

I enjoyed Miller, Amos, and Bobbie is growing on me. I find the rest a little sub par.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Agreed. The only actor I really like is the guy that plays Amos, but he's obviously not the giant bruiser the books portray. I also feel that the show suffers from
    the lack of Holden's and Naomi's relationship. I don't remember exactly when that comes into play in the books, but I thought it was pretty early on. Three seasons in it could have helped some with the audience's detachment from the characters.

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd add Chrisjen to that list. She's got good quips. That's post-Eros Chrisjen. Pre-Eros Chrisjen was meh.

Big MAK likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I liked Thomas Jane's character
    I liked Ashur [Body Guard for theAmbassador] . . in basically anything now - he needs more work
    The Big Martian Lady was cute .. . but dry
    Ambassador - cool accent but dry
    I think most of the interesting characters were not the regulars . ..

Rocket River

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Well, guess it finally got there in the finale.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get that y'all don't think the characters are very good. I think they're very interesting and portrayed very well. Chrisjen is an amazing character and Shohreh Aghdashloo is a great actor. I've really enjoyed the scenes of her in space where she's has no practical skills and can't fight yet there is a very clear sense she is the most powerful person there and can stand up to people who very easily could just kill her and even those who try.
    The relationship between her and Bobbi is really fascinating. It is a twist on the brains versus brawn theme with two very powerful women.

Also Amos and Prax's relationship is very interesting and really get the sense that even though Amos gets frustrated by Prax he is finding his own redemption in finding Mae..

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The scene in the aitlock was probably my favorite scene in the series. Waited 3 seasons for that side of Amos to be more than hinted at.

15. youknowme

youknowme Member

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Really excellent episode. It's weird that the "book finales" are mid season episodes, but whatever. I liked last season's "book finale" with Miller on Eros better. I hope Amazon picks up season 4. This show is one of the better shows, and absolutely beautiful to watch. The sets, CG, and space environment are magical.

OldManBernie likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

18. KingCheetah

A couple other tidbits...
    _______

Sources say Bezos is a big fan of the book and was livid that the TV series went to NBCUniversal-owned Syfy. The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

At Amazon, The Expanse will join a growing roster of genre programming including its upcoming Lord of the Rings TV franchise; Jordan Peele's Nazi hunting drama series; Gillian Flynn's Utopia remake; futuristic drama The Peripheral from Westworld creators Lisa Joy and Jonah Nolan; Consider Phlebas; and a reboot of Hanna, among others.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

19. Duncan McDonuts

Confirmed to be picked up by Amazon!

KingCheetah and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

KingCheetah likes this.