1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Mr Robot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is how you do a pilot! I am hooked and cannot wait until the show launches in June.

USA released the first episode online.

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

It's not going to be on any of the TV networks?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

USA Network.

4. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Looked very good. I'm hooked.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The full Pilot is now on YouTube. I watched it last night, it was fantastic (and I work in IT). I didn't have high hopes for a USA series but I was pleasantly surprised.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JpxvvnWvffM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

No love for SUITS?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Suits is one of my favorite shows. The one and only thing I've ever watched on USA prior to Mr Robot.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Great episode with an even better ending, but is this gonna be a multiseason show or a miniseries? Robot's endgame, if it is that, can't really escalate to a wider scale.

Was that company's name really Evil Corp? Everyone was calling it that, which makes you think that this is all in his head, similar to the daydream rant he had with the shrink. In addition, on multiple occasions he had to convince himself/us that this is happening.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Saw an ad for the show on the homepage of Xbox Live, and I couldn't turn it off. I was pretty skeptical of a show from USA, but definitely wasn't disappointed. I also work in IT (and some aspects of network security), and I was surprised with the amount of technical jargon that was used. The only downside for me was Christian Slater; he wasn't bad -- he was just Christian Slater playing a character. The problem with that is, I'm not convinced he can turn on a computer much less be the leader of a hacker group with their capabilities.

They're called ECorp I believe (he mentions this as the beginning), he simply transposes Evil Corp in there every time their name is mentioned. The writers of the show also want you to understand this company is bad news, so psychologically having everyone call it Evil Corp instead of the actual name pushes that.

I also think we're going to find out in the end a lot of this was in his head. I think Mr Robot and fsociety are all mental fabrications like Tyler Durden in Fight Club. I think the main character is doing all of this, but he needed to create someone who had those abilities in his head to make it all work.

At the beginning of the show he says he wants to save everyone he loves, but he just is another guy. Mr Robot and the fsociety aren't, thus he creates them mentally so he believes he has an army to complete his own agenda.

Naturally this is all a theory based off one episode, but I thought it was interesting.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Grace land is really good too. Stupid name, solid show. On Netflix right now.

11. Svpernaut

As seclusion said,
    "Evil Corp" is just what people call them because they are the big, bad, evil corporation. E Corp is the actual name, and the slanted E is a clear nod to Enron. Think how people call Comcast, "Comcrap" or the Koch brothers, "**** brothers."

Interesting theory. I'll have to see more before I try to make a prediction, at this point I don't think it is all in his head - because there was more than just Slater's character. I do believe that he can be hallucinating a good portion of it however.

I'd believe it was more a fabrication if the people in the dark suits following him were a fabrication, and it seems like they weren't based upon the ending of the episode.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This show is amazing. The lead (don't know his name) is almost too good at his aspergers demeanor. It's too hard to watch at times.

13. Svpernaut

Rami Malek is a fantastic actor. He was absolutely mesmerizing in The Pacific.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I meant Mr. Robot is a figment of his imagination. As far as the other hackers know, he is Mr. Robot. Ala Fight Club.

15. Svpernaut

Ahh, completely believable.
    I'll have to rewatch to see if Mr. Robot interacts with others in specific ways.

16. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I have watched 2 things on USA. 1. Silk Stockings, lol yeah, i was a teenager. 2. Monk. Its hard for me to give that channel a try.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

too preachy. hated it, but didn't make it past the first 15 minutes.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm just curious, I don't have an issue with you disliking it.. but other than the Rockets (I'm assuming here) is there anything you do like?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley to name a few.

This show just seemed immature. Ranting about why everyone sucks is not appealing (again; only watched like 15 minutes) like Fight Club or grunge rock music.

#19 tallanvor, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Great episode. When's the next?