1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's EPA pick will make Obama regret his environmental overreach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 9, 2016.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

Doesn't the whole world basically believe in global warming, but the Republicans?

JayGoogle and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even the oil industry knows climate change and global warming are facts. They just know not to acknowledge it publicly as to protect their industry. And since they own more of the Republican party than the Democratic party...

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's even fairly public (though not loud). One reason I'm okay with Tillerson (given the options) is not just because he's very well-versed in international societies and policy but that he's been publicly in favor of the Paris Accord, has acknowledged human impact on climate, and has even supported, via his company, carbon taxes of various kinds. I think to whatever extent he can manage Secretary Goodhair, he'll advocate for natural gas and not undercut renewables too sharply.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fair points.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Andrew Wheeler has already been appointed the acting EPA director to replace Scott Pruitt. He will continue the current agenda without slowing down, and very possibly with some speeding up.

You all are going to love this guy. Watch and see.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wonder if Bobby ever set up the system of differential equations used to mathmatically model our climate to determine if human emmisit are capable of altering the ratio of fluids that exist in our atmosphere?

I wonder if any climate change skeptics in this thread have either?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really sad how the EPA has been gutted and US is going backwards in protecting a critical resource. It's bad for business and bad for humanity. Proof that the right will believe anything they are told by people so long as those people bash immigrants and minorities.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That's the way to spin trump's hand picked guy shoved out of office in shame... not just the most corrupt cabinet member of the most corrupt admin of all time, but the most environmentally unfriendly administrator possible. But sure, consider it as another win...

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

remember how difficult it was for me to understand setting up the schrodinger equation for just a simple of a system as a hydrogen atom I doubt you are claiming this is the case for yourself.

11. fchowd0311

You don't analyze fluid systems using Lagrangian methods of analyzing individual particles. Analyzing a massive fluid system is better suited with using a Eulerian method using control volumes. That's how climate scientists set up their system of differential equations.

12. Bandwagoner

So before anyone has an opinion, they should know these things. This has been your schtick for quite a while. I wonder how bigoted a math test before voting would be. Do you think you are superior to a plumber or electrician? Should have more of a say in public policy?

13. fchowd0311

Que?

So people like Bobby who can't pass a college algebra exam should listen to his own intuition about climate science and the mathematics around it instead of trusting the climate scientists who do?

That's my point. They don't even understand the mathematical language behind basic thermodynamics and fluid mechanics and then make broad claims about how man made emissions can't alter the ratio of fluid composition in our atmosphere is absurd.

No one here is trying to deny voting rights. At the very least, if you have absolutely no clue on a subject matter, listen to the experts? Is that such an absurd notion to you?

Bobby can vote. I just wish he didn't have the hubris to make assumptions based on absolutely zero understanding of climate science and instead trusted the math that allows him to communicate his shitty thoughts throughout the world within seconds on a device weighing a couple hundred grams.

14. Bandwagoner

Pretty absurd because of the knock on effect. I think before you said if someone cannot do an integration they cannot vote. It's an insane and dangerous obsession you have here.

If a plumber was barely able to pass trig but finally made foreman he has a right to speak on the government artificially raising his energy prices just as much as you do.

15. fchowd0311

ya dude... I'm going to call bs on that.

16. fchowd0311

And it's absurd to you to listen to experts on a subject matter?

17. fchowd0311

I would hope that plumber is humble enough to understand the concerns of climate scientists while understanding that he isn't an expert on the subject matter.

18. fchowd0311

Have a question for you.

What exactly are they forming their opinion based on if they don't "know these things"? Hopes and feelings? The gut?

19. Bandwagoner

I'm 100% sure you wanted it to be a qualifier for something. Whatever the action was it is pretty crazy.

LOL, faith. Just like the other side. Less Democrats have read any publications than Christians have read the bible.

20. fchowd0311

Democrats trust the scientists who understand the math and science behind climate science. The GOP leaders don't. They actually do but believe that corporate lobbying money with short term gain is more important than what the climate will be like in half a century to a century. It's about prioritization I guess.

So you admit that it's worthless for one to make broad generalizations about whether man made emissions don't effect fluid composition in our atmosphere with zero baseline understanding of the math and science behind it?