1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

How can anyone in their right mind vote for this guy? He'll get votes, but I have no idea how.. he's an obvious criminal. Narcissist, sycophant, psycho, lunatic, I don't know how many of the worst adjectives in the language you can use to describe him. Possibly all.

I'm going to quote this post from Reddit, because I think it's something everyone in the country should read. I'll just leave it below...

--------

Let's take a look at his timeline so far.

> January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
    >
    > February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
    >
    > February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
    >
    > February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
    >
    > February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
    >
    > February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
    >
    > February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”
    >
    > February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
    >
    > February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
    >
    > March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
    >
    > March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
    >
    > March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
    >
    > March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
    >
    > March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
    >
    > March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
    >
    > March 6: Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
    >
    > March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”
    >
    > March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”
    >
    > March 7: “We’ll hold tremendous rallies...I’m not concerned at all.”
    >
    > March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on coronavirus.”
    >
    > March 9: “This blindsided the world.”

Added from below.

> March 10: "Our CoronaVirus Team has been doing a great job. Even Democrat governors have been VERY complimentary!"
    >
    > March 11: "I am fully prepared to use the full power of the Federal Government to deal with our current challenge of the CoronaVirus!"
    >
    > March 12: "108 countries are dealing with the CoronaVirus problem, some of which we are helping!"
    >
    > March 13: "To this point, and because we have had a very strong border policy, we have had 40 deaths related to CoronaVirus. If we had weak or open borders, that number would be many times higher!"
    >
    > March 13: "Today I am declaring a national emergency. Two very big words."

And the grand finale for today's quotes.

> March 13. "No, I don't take responsibility at all. Because we were given a set of circumstances, given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time. It wasn't meant for this kind of an event, with the kind of numbers that we are talking about."

And now on Friday the 13th, a National Emergency has been called.

F**king amazing.... oh and don't forget the very fast websites that are nothing like websites of the past!

And just to realize people, these are actual quotes from trump, not fabricated, he said all of this.

Oh dear, looks like his website was a lie too.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/...testing-screening-website-drive-thru-covid-19

> Carolyn Wang, communications lead for Verily, told The Verge that the “triage website” was initially only going to be made available to health care workers instead of the general public. Now that it has been announced the way it was, however, anybody will be able to visit it, she said. But the tool will only be able to direct people to “pilot sites” for testing in the Bay Area, though Wang says Verily hopes to expand it beyond California “over time.”

But don't worry, he brought out our corporate overlords to reassure wall street that he has got their back.

Oh and he wants to reinstate the nursing home rules that he got rid of, because Obama did them.

Something to note, I didn't include his comments calling it "their new hoax" or comparing it to the common flu. Those were from his campaign rally on the 28th in North Carolina.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget this gem:

DeBeards, Spacemoth, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I'd show this to some people but they'd either not read it or call it fake.

I appreciate the effort, though.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The Covid-19 crisis will be the thing to sink Trump's re-election bid -- total incompetence revealed for everyone to see.

DeBeards, pirc1, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Thanks to OP for making this a thread... while I don't like Trump's response, I don't think all the criticism has been warranted... but overall great thread idea.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Out of curiosity which criticisms have not been warranted?

All of the lies he's told or the truth?
    My bad.. He hasn't told the truth...

T_Man

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was with my Trump loving grandparents this week and they literally think he’s doing a great job with the response, and are just worried mostly that the media is hyping to get the economy to tank to get Trump out of office.

The Trump cult remains strong. Don’t let any poll fool you.

But all these bizarre press conferences certainly cannot help. Wtf was up with the one yesterday? I caught a few minutes and I swear if you didn’t know any better, you’d think it was a victory lap speech after the virus was 100% eliminated. That was insane.

B-Bob, RayRay10, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member

There is cdc hhs and others for this and jared is seeking advice on fb groups lol
    The movie will be called "jared is reading now"
    You literally cannot make this up and it on its own deserves its own thread:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/jared-kushner-combat-coronavirus-facebook-127941
    "
    Inside Jared Kushner’s coronavirus research: A wide net on a giant Facebook group

The president’s son-in-law and senior adviser takes a leading role in a variety of Trump challenges, this time responding to the escalating coronavirus outbreak.

Just before midnight Wednesday, a doctor asked a group of fellow emergency room physicians on Facebook how they would combat the escalating coronavirus outbreak.

“I have direct channel to person now in charge at White House,” Kurt Kloss wrote in his post.

The next morning, after hundreds of doctors responded, Kloss explained why he sought the suggestions: Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, had asked him for recommendations.

Kloss, whose daughter is married to Kushner’s brother, sent Kushner 12 recommendations Thursday morning.

The Facebook crowd-sourcing exercise showed how Trump‘s team is scrambling for solutions to confront the outbreak after weeks of criticism for the administration's sluggish response, a shortage of tests and the president’s own rhetoric downplaying the pandemic. It is now expected to consume the final year of Trump's first term and threaten his campaign for a second term.

Trump appointed Vice President Mike Pence to lead a task force to combat the spread of the coronavirus two weeks ago. But in recent days as conditions worsened and criticism mounted, Kushner took a more active role, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Kushner has attended several meetings on coronavirus alongside Trump, including one with banking leaders at the White House Wednesday to discuss how they could help their customers hit by the outbreak. He is also talking to people about whether Trump should declare an emergency, bringing in the Federal Emergency Management Agency to coordinate and unleashing billions of dollars for struggling states.

Trump has tapped Kushner to lead on several contentious issues, including Middle East peace, immigration and criminal justice reform, all of which involved him engaging in lengthy consultations with impacted people before recommending a decision to Trump.

In a Facebook post, Kloss said Kushner is “now directly involved in the response to this,” referring to coronavirus.

The Facebook group, EM Docs, has nearly 22,000 members around the globe who are required to provide their credentials to join. The posts about Kushner's request have been removed but a member shared pictures of them with POLITICO. The Spectator first reported on the posts late Wednesday.

On February 27, one of the other doctors on Facebook questioned why Pence was put in charge of the task force over Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, when the vice president has no significant health care experience.

“The only thing that gave me any sense of confidence was that Dr. Anthony Faucci [sic] was on that stage,” responded Kloss, citing the well-respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Kloss did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

“In his role as a senior adviser to the president, Jared Kushner is, of course involved in the coronavirus response, but he is not in charge of coronavirus research," a White House official said

Kloss solicited recommendations on Facebook just hours after Trump’s brief prime-time address in which the president misrepresented his administration's own actions involving a 30-day ban

“If you were in charge of Federal response to the Pandemic what would your recommendation be. Please only serious responses,” he wrote. “I have direct channel to person now in charge at White House.”

Some doctors expressed skepticism about his connection but most of them posted serious proposals, including nationalizing the production of testing kits, creating pop-up field hospitals with ICUs and activating FEMA. A doctor posted the top 12 recommendations on Twitter with the hashtag #EMDocs.

“I would like to thank everyone who made suggestions on how to manage the crisis. However, some challenged me on the validity of my statement in being in a position to hopefully advocate for our patients,” he wrote. “So for transparency I will provide some background about my unique circumstance. I have not shared this in a professional forum before.”

Kloss, who indicated he fills in at multiple hospitals when they are short of doctors, told the group that his daughter, internationally known model Karlie Kloss, is married to businessman Joshua Kushner, the younger brother of Jared Kushner.

He wrote that he had spent two weeks complaining to his son-in-law about the lack of equipment, testing and ventilators.

“Tonight I was asked by Jared through my son-in-law for my recommendations, that’s when I turned to you my fellow BAFERD’s for help,” he wrote using a nickname for Bad Ass ****ing Emergency Room Doctors. “Between patients tonight I have reviewed your responses and will summarize what I am sending to Jared for your PEER review before I send it.”

“Jared is reading now,” Kloss followed up later.

"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/jared-kushner-combat-coronavirus-facebook-127941

9. Buck Turgidson

@Spacemoth was dropping heavy knowledge in a couple of other threads. Look for his posts.

DeBeards, RayRay10, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

A lot of what he says is spun hard out from original context and meaning. I have a hard time buying most of it from people who already have a confirmation bias against the orange man. Look at the list above and you see the diligent work of a hardcore anti-Trumper over analyzing and nitpicking everything the man has said. Or look at the response people are having about his reaction. Either he isn't reacting strong enough and it downplaying it, or if he isn't, then he will be seen as panicking people. No matter what he says or does, people will spin it politically. Now is he perfect no. Should he be more careful with his words on this? Yes. The guy should have had a serious plan for this, but sadly most people including him never took pandemic threat seriously. The people who have warned about this have been called paranoid or "conspiracy theorists" even though it's not a conspiracy, and when it happens everyone acts like they were expecting this and getting ready. No one took this threat seriously because Americans, including Trump, were too complacent. The CDC is largely responsible as well, and regardless of Trump not properly staffing them, I doubt they'd have had us ready. The lazy mentality of people living in a comfortable society is largely to blame. This is why it's still running out of control. People won't adjust their lifestyle and still continue living their life. I keep hearing about people getting it at parties. This is why is got bad in Italy... they all kept socially gathering and this is what happened. I expect more death until Americans largely wake up, and that includes the president. The good news now is that Trump is the type to close the border, but here is my critique... too little too late. A full closure should have been implemented before this got here. While extreme, that is the only way to stop a highly contagious disease that spreads when there are no symptoms present. Relying on phony heat scans is useless if it spreads without symptoms. Locking things down is the only way. Now while I think he should have done that, close off everything, people would likely have said he overreacted. Now I anticipate people will come around and say he under reacted in the beginning... which he did.

Here is the thing that you have to understand about Trump. He is a leader and leaders lie. For own selfish motives and because that's part of the job. You lie in order to advance a goal. Sometimes its for yourself and others in order to stave off panic. As you are seeing it doesn't take much threat and people start panic rushing the shelves. This is exactly the type of thing they were trying to avoid by downplaying it. I don't agree with this tactic of course because people still don't take it seriously. Downplaying is dishonest and essentially keeps order but it allows the spread to continue. So while I don't agree with all of the critiques on his words, I see his actions as being entirely unacceptable. Do I think a Democrat would do better? No. Do I think it's going to change the outcome of the election? Nope. The best tactic would be straight talk early one, addressing the nation, closing the borders off, and enacting travel bans/restrictive quarantines for returning visitors to discourage international travel. Instead our leaders are late to the party and it's already spreading.

Now with all this rage at Trump going, I think we should still remember this is from China and the results of an authoritarian regime that suppresses information and botched its response as a result. Regardless of a Dem or Rep being a president, this likely would have come because people are too scared to do the right thing an close the borders.

#10 dachuda86, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Possum likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump lied and continues to lie. All leaders (and probably people) lie. No American leader lies as much as Trump.

Whether or not the person who points out the lie was anti-Trump or not doesn't change the fact that Trump lied many times about Covid19. He did more than just 'downplay', he lied. Nearly every single time he opens his mouth, lies come out at a rapid pace.

That is the way it is if I am a Trump supporter or Trump opponent.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. Buck Turgidson

PARAGRAPHS

14. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

The richest country in the world is still rationing tests when tests are so important in slowing the spread. Trump did not prioritize more test capability because he does not want the numbers to go up. He gambled with the nation health for his political image.

We may still flatten the curve and if so, it won’t be because of trump, but that we may still have enough competent in the local and fed gov. The real test here isn’t of trump - he and his team has already failed and now it’s up to the fed and local gov, medical system and private sectors to clean up this mess.

Ps. Even though we are still blind, I’m glad to see many local gov and private sector aren’t waiting any longer and has started to close thing down.... we’ll have to see if it was early enough to avoid a disaster.

jboslett, joshuaao, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here's May 2018... probably many people shrugged their shoulders, but in hindsight...

adding this excerpt:
    [​IMG]

#15 NewRoxFan, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You need to add the ones where he called it a hoax so I can share this. Otherwise him calling it an emergency doesn’t look shocking

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My Trump supporting friends are all claiming this is just hype by the media to scare people. I don't know how many times I've seen Dr. Drew shown saying the media are to blame for this. Even though a lot of them are in their 60's they still continue to say that this isn't much of a threat.

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There it is. Actions by Trump made this worse and our nation less prepared and able to handle this.

Also worth noting that while S. Korea and the U. S. announced their first case on the same day, the cases in S. Korea have actually started declining.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump's Coronavirus response in a few words. Weak, slow and chaotic.

I agree that not all blame can be heaped on Trump but as I've been saying he is the President of the United States. He isn't some real estate mogul hosting reality TV and hawking steaks. Those skills of self-aggrandizement and hype don't work in this type of crisis. What we need is leadership not a pitchman talking about Trump presidency like the latest episode of the Apprentice. I will repeat again, leadership requires RESPONSIBILITY.. Something that Trump doesn't do and just yesterday said he wasn't going to.

We've seen other leaders deal with crisis. Taking responsibility isn't a sign of weakness but showing that you are willing to acknowledge truths even if they don't reflect on them well. That means that people are more willing to follow a leader who they believe is telling the truth, who is willing to address failures. A leader that just constantly lies we get a credibility gap that can be lethal. We saw that happen with Vietnam and with Katrina. This is precisely what people have been warning about Trump who has shown no credibility with other crisis such as Hurricane Maria and Dorian. A President who can't even tell the truth about such basic things like whether it was raining during his inauguration speech.

Trump isn't responsible for Covid 19 but he is responsible for his rhetoric and this Administration's response. With the things he's actually had responsibility for his response has been weak, slow and chaotic.

Nook, RayRay10, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Trump supporters will not believe the media because Trump made them all believe that the media are a bunch of liars.

Trump has failed tremendously as a leader. If he could of managed to handle this crisis, everybody would be on his side. It's nuts that we have to deal with an idiot as our leader. It's worse when your state leader is also full of ****. I can't believe how long it took Abbott to come out and say something.

I'm glad our local leaders at least acted.

My hope is that those swing voters truly understand how much Trumps administration has ****ed us by spreading a message of ignorance to the masses. He doesn't need to be in charge thinking he can manipulate numbers by ****ing people over. **** Trump and his dumbass supporters. I have absolutely have no respect for anybody that believes he has managed this COVID issue well.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.