1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to impose tariff on steel and aluminium, geaux Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sigh - when will the stupidity of this administration end?

It is like they never ever took economics classes.

DD

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

That's because 90% of Chinese were farmers. We grew food out of nothing as long as there was no global warming disasters... On the other hand, I never drank milk or saw a car until teenage in late 1970s but I was living in a remote rural village. Somehow I owned a TV and can watch movies in the open fields for free every weekend. The electricity was as scarce as full moon.. still good times. This time around, many Chinese will have difficulties to survive a trade war but many will just like we did in thousand years of history.

3. adoo

adoo Member

Trump had spend much of last week hyping up the additional tariffs, effective 1 Sept 2019, on consumer goods imported from China

then the announcement came yesterday that the tariff would be delayed, w the USTR and Trump offering different reasons for the delay

i believe that this was the impetus for cancelling / delaying the tariff on consumer goods

[​IMG]

an inverted yield curve foreshadows slower growth/stagnation ahead.

It's also not some sort of immediate indicator either. It could take a year before things filter down
    to growth and earnings. that'd be 2 months before the 2020 presidential election.
    given that consumer spending has been the strongest part of the US economy, Trump can ill-afford to have
    slower growth/stagnation popping up just before the 2020 presidential election

so he blinked, and delayed the new tariffs that he had just announced last week

#1123 adoo, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    No Worries likes this.
  4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait just a second, Trump told us repeatedly that China was going to be paying for those tariffs. How would that affect consumer spending in the US? I don’t understand.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

correction,

he lied repeatedly​

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Trade wars are so easy to win, I think Trump is ready to collect his winning spoils now.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How long before he starts using creepy asterisks?

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. adoo

adoo Member

The Wall Street Journal has been a conservative-leaning business publication; it is owned by Murdock, who also owns Fox News

Last week, the WSJ editors warned that U.S. trade policy was courting recession. White House aide Peter Navarro immediately took to Fox Business to denounce the WSJ for sounding like The People’s Daily, the Chinese Communist propaganda arm.

On Wed, the bond / equity trading markets have echoed WSJ's warning; the inverted yielding curve scared off the equity market, w the DOW dropping > 800 points, a ~ 3% drop

today, WSJ wrote another op/ed on the Navarro recession. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-navarro-recession-ii-11565825029

Perhaps Mr. Navarro would care to comment again after Wednesday’s recession warning from the bond and equity markets?
    Are they Commies too?

Wednesday’s market moves are an omen of the future, not destiny. The key to avoiding the worst is
    to restore a sense of policy calm and confidence.

Stop the trade threats by tweet.

Call a tariff truce with China, Europe and the rest of the world while negotiations resume with a goal of reaching a deal by the meeting of Pacific nations in November. Someone should tell Mr. Trump that incumbent Presidents who preside over recessions within two years of an election rarely get a second term.​

11. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...November of 2020 might not be a bad target date...:);):D

12. adoo

adoo Member

is there a better eg of double talk ?

in 2011, when Obama was POTUS, saddled w the W-induced economic inferno over the past 3 years,
    citizen Trump bashed the Fed for lowering interest rates

fast forward to 2019, when Trump is POTUS, having inherited a sound economy w over 72 consecutive months of position job creation, Donald bashed the Fed for the exact opposite reason.

jboslett likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

You know trump and his people have no clue what they are doing and just blasting out lies to cover...

B-Bob likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope you did you holiday shopping early because I know of a few vendors that are raising prices even with the delayed tariffs. They are having to because of the extra cost of storage inventory they rushed to get in before the deadline.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The President had some Apple stock he wanted to sell today.

17. NewRoxFan

Nothing is ever "the chose one's, er, trump's fault...

18. NewRoxFan

I guess those successful negotiations trump is having with china are going really well...

19. adoo

adoo Member

when Trump blinks---

delaying the additional tariff (until Xmas) on consumer goods from China
    ---​

Xi rachets up the leverage

#1139 adoo, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

The tariff-in-chief just tweeted this in response to china ratcheting up the trade war...

And someone remind me who appointed Powell as the Fed? To even suggest that his own Fed lead is an enemy... and more of an enemy than the Chinese leader? 2020 can't come soon enough...

#1140 NewRoxFan, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019