1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump and sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Sep 23, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Maybe Trump should avoid sports...

2. NewRoxFan

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Reminder-

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Majority of fans agree with him

Roc Paint likes this.
  5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Brady didn't skip for political reasons.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Just like a good liberal, John brings up race into the conversation.

7. NewRoxFan

8. dobro1229

This goes back to what I was saying the other day about the culture of conservative football fans and their feeling of ownership of football players. As if they owe their fans the effort of molding themselves in their fans likeness.

Football is pretty much a religion in the south as we all know living in Texas. Trump is again using a big race issue to advance himself politically. Trump is basically saying what many football fans think and will love this even though they will say it has NOTHING to do with race and just about sports culture.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The left is race baiting this morning. How typical. The real issue is creating something that clearly isn't there.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. tmacfor35

I personally don't see race. My views have more to do with those who are disrespecting the country.

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

14. tmacfor35

I don't feel there is a disconnect between most players and fans.

There are a minority of players in the league who are completely delusional and are acting like spoiled brats.

15. NewRoxFan

16. dobro1229

That's what I said you would say. I'm from conservative Texas and know conservative football fanatics. I've been hearing these rants all my life. They are okay with black people in sports but they want them to look and act the way they do.

I've said it a million times before- Trump appeals mostly to the conservative white male who says "I'm not a racist BUT".... nobody thinks they are racist but there is deep inherent issues with race we all have as white people that Trump has exploited for years and you guys have no idea he's doing it or just refuse to believe it.

Believe what you want man, but it's quite obvious what Trump is doing and who he is trying to score poltical points with.

17. dobro1229

It's right there in the rant from conservative football fans when they say "spoiled brats" when talking about black athletes who they think overstep their bounds as sports stars and venture into areas that make the fan uncomfortable.

It's the nature of being "spoiled" that insinuates YOU gave them something and they owe you certain behavior in return.

HakeemOnlyFan, el gnomo and JayGoogle like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

"Athletes. No your place and quit being so uppity."

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The attitude of a lot of white southerners (and non southerners) who harbor generally racist views towards blacks but root for their predominantly black sports heroes and the Tide or Cowboys or whatever on weekends is unfortunately more seeing them as mascots, asked to play a part, rather than true acceptance or affinity. These folks obviously make up a huge part of Trumpism.

There's a horrific recent study about juvenile court judges in Louisiana imposing much harsher sentences on black youths the week after LSU losses, and with more embarrassing losses leading to correspondingly more harsh penalties.

Combine this with declining participation in non poor communities, the inherent fraud of the NCAA shamateurism rules, and SEC football and the NFL are basically on the path to becoming Django unchained Mandingo Fighting League

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are some fine upstanding nazi's, but when a player takes a knee well you got to fire him.

#20 Air Langhi, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    HakeemOnlyFan and el gnomo like this.