1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Mahomes, Trubisky, and Kizer should be starting.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Updated:

Trubisky:
    18 of 25, 166 yards, 1 TD
    6 of 8, 60 yards, 1 TD

Mahomes:
    7 of 9, 49 yards, 1 TD
    10 of 14, 88 yards, 2 TDs

Watson:
    15 of 25, 179 yards, 1 Rushing TD
    3 of 10, 102 yards, 1 Rushing TD

Kizer:
    11 of 18, 184 yards, 1 TD
    8 of 13, 74 yards, 1 Rushing TD, Sacked twice

Trubisky and Mahomes with another good showing. Both guys showing accuracy and ability to make different throws.

Not a very good game for Watson on the other hand. Missed on 3-4 throws that should have been catches for short yardage. Found Ellington open for big yardage in the first half. Nice throw to Foreman in a tight window to set up another rushing TD. With as much talk there was about his arm strength, he throws with a lot of velocity which can lead to a lot of tipped passes if not on target. Picked up a 1st down and TD on the ground.

Kizer made a few nice throws but at least 5 of his completions were screen passes to the RB. Did some nice things rushing the ball. Hue Jackson said he's going to announce the starter this week which doesn't bode well for Brock. He's been awful.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still really disappointed we didn't jump up and get Mahomes instead of Watson. That might haunt us a long time if Watson doesn't get more accurate with his passing.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would have been ok with 1) cutting Osweiler and 2) drafting Kizer.

Then we still have our first and second rounders next year to beef up the OL or whatever

CallMeTheDream and deb4rockets like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

And no cap room for Hopkins/Clowney?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's no cap room because of the Osweiler signing? If they were planning to let one of those guys go for Osweiler, that's really stupid

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think it's too early to draw a conclusion. For instance, the Chiefs also gave up their 3rd rounder so assuming it would've cost us the same, that likely would've meant not getting Foreman. In other words, would you rather have Mahomes or Watson + Foreman? Time will tell but Foreman looks like a player.

Houstunna, red5rocket and deb4rockets like this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True, only time will tell. I hope we end up with the winning choice.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, at least Watson is doing better than Joshua Dobbs, that's a start.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hopefully this means nothing, simply because it's preseason. I'm trying to have hope for Watson, because our future pretty much depends on it for the next couple years at least, if Savage doesn't work out.

12. HstnSprtsFan101

Man, Mahomes is so impressive

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I watched every game Mahomes played at Texas Tech; always thought he was underrated. Baker Mayfield lost the job to Mahomes at TTU and went to Oklahoma and now all of a sudden is a perennial Heisman candidate. That always annoyed me.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Really? I've been watching the game on and off and Seattle is making him look pretty average tonight.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  15. HstnSprtsFan101

I thought he looked good. Mainly his decision making to not make across his body throws over the middle and take a sack or throw it away instead. He did overthrow some balls but that arm strength is impressive. Didn't think his receiving group did him many favors either. All in looked good to me though. I may be a little biased, he was my draft crush and I was devastated when KC leaped us. I was still pumped to draft DW4 but my money is on Mahomes being a very good QB.

16. MystikArkitect

It's.

Just.

The.

Pre.

Season.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

His very first throw was across the body. He rolled to the left and threw to a receiver on the right side. It was great throw; but also risky. He took a very bad sack when he should have thrown the ball away. He also overthrew and underthrew some guys. He didn't look bad; he looked more average. Also, he was playing against the seahawks. They make a lot of good QBs look average.

Speaking of Watson, his struggle isn't with arm strength. He is overthrowing his receivers. It his accuracy on the long throws. I'm the exact opposite of you. I wanted Watson before the College football season was over so I'm inclined to make more excuses for him because I want him to pan out.

18. HstnSprtsFan101

That was a great throw that he can make. He's a little unconventional which may get him in a little trouble early on.

I hear ya. Everyone had their own guys. I liked Watson and didn't understand all the naysayers nitpicking saying he couldn't be a NFL QB. His accuracy has been a little concerning but like someone else said he's used to playing full games and gets better as the game goes. In my opinion all the "learning from the sideline" isn't real. Only way to get better is get out there, take the lumps and adjust. With that being said, I believe Savage is the best option right now for us right now. DW's time will come & when it does I hope he takes it and runs with it.

19. HstnSprtsFan101

?? Does someone have to give this reply every time something that happened in the preseason is mentioned? Cmon. It's football, you can see the bright spots. Tell "it's just preseason" to Dak last year.

I'm not saying get the guy to Canton immediately but that arm plays in any game lol. Now will he become Rodgers, Stafford, Jay Cutler or Jamarcus Russel is up to him.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member