1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trout done for season. Astros play LAA 7 more times.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by AstrosRockets1818, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We will take care of him when the time comes

2. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Steven Wright!

alethios likes this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Agreed. Bregs would still need a good hot streak in the final 11 games to make it close.

He would need to finish with a .300 BA (doable), 1.000+ OPS (doable), 40 HR (doable) to make it close.

4. SemisolidSnake

Speaking of manchildren, they've called Yordan that, but Yordan is 6'5", 225 lbs. Not even the biggest guy on our team. (Take a guess who IS the biggest dude on our team.) Judge is a manchild, but I actually call him a demigiant or a goliath. He's 6'7", 282 lbs. He really is as absurdly large as he looks on TV.

5. SemisolidSnake

There are 10 games left. He's already above 1.000 OPS as of last night. I think cresting .300 BA would be enough. Now if we assumed he had 5 AB/g for the next 10 games, he'd need 18 hits during that time to hit .300. However, if he keeps walking and has 4 AB/g, he needs 15 hits. 3 AB/g = 12 hits. He's currently at 37 HR. He can certainly get to 40 if he doesn't purposely try to get to 40.

Personally, I think it's silly that Trout being injured is suddenly the reason that Alex can overtake him. It's not Trout's fault he's injured. His performance while he was healthy ought to stand on its own. It does mean Trout's relative numbers like OPS and BA can't improve any more. Absolute numbers are less important. I think Bregman's defense should be considered; his defensive WAR is higher than Trout's.

Ultimately, looking from the outside in, it's easy to say that Bregman is surrounded by tons of talent, so his impact on his team is less than Trout's for his team. Having watching most of the season, though, this team would be a MUCH different team with a much worse record without Alex Bregman, but that's stuff that can only be seen from actually watching the games.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One aspect of Bregman that is probably overlooked a little, nationally, is his versatility in being able to play SS and 3B. Considering the injury issues we've had with Correa, Alex being able to slide over and play SS so that other players can man 3B provides some much needed flexibility in a way that probably doesn't show up in any numbers directly tied to Alex's name.

Nook and SemisolidSnake like this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

Completely agree. The infielder injury woes of this team have been extreme this year, and Bregman being able to do whatever's needed of him has been key to getting through them and continuing to win.

Nook likes this.
  8. alethios

alethios Member

One of my favorite Steven Wright lines was, "Sure it's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Saw him in Las Vegas last year. Absolutely hilarious.

alethios likes this.