1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza missed 15 games last season. Rockets went 14-1.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 20, 2018.

1. pass_to_Hakeem

I agree the dude had a “corner 3” and that wasn’t consistent. Him putting the ball to the ground and driving was always nervous to watch. He is older now so the defense isn’t anywhere like it was his 2 years ago.... M’Bah , better D but his offense the last month was AWOL. He was scared to shoot it. I’m not saying these additions are better but I don’t tho k losing Ariza and M’bah Move down to 5-6th in the West

BigShasta likes this.
  2. pass_to_Hakeem

Think losing*

3. HP3

HP3 Member

The 14-1 record is a bogus argument. When it boils down to it Ariza had the most minutes of all our role players in the playoffs, that has to tell you something.

TheFreak, saleem and napalm06 like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"correlation does not mean causation".

HP3 likes this.
  5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Only when it comes to Ariza it seems.

Guys are making him out to be prime Scottie Pippen.

BigShasta likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

No one is saying it that, it's just that a bunch of guys in here wanna discredit everything he's done for our team.

saleem likes this.
  7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I think he was good for you guys but he wasn't irreplaceable. Nick Wright, who I despise, made a good point that the true change in your defensive culture came from the additions of CP3 and Tucker and the development of Capela. Ariza had been here for a while and you guys weren't close to a top defense.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah that was a great point. CP3 was big in that culture change.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Well I mean, one very good wing defensive player cant do anything by himself . Of course you become better defensively when you add more players who can play D. Ariza was very crucial for us on that end vs GS. Just so we are clear, I think Melo could be really good for us if he buys in. I'm just also saying Ariza was a damn good player.

It's also with the addition of Luc.

saleem likes this.
  10. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Agreed. Let me ask you this regarding Melo in your statement.

Defensively for Melo do you think it’s a question of ability or mentality.

Basically does Melo have the tools to be a good defender and just lacks the mentality or does he just not have what it takes ability wise and that hinders him?

In your opinion.

saleem likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh well I would have to go look at film for him defense wise. But from what little I've seen, I think it's kinda both. He's 34 so asking too much from him on that end isn't really fair, BUT I think if he's committed he can be a lot better than people think.

Also one think to note is that he can be a really good passer which could be huge.

saleem and H-Town Melo like this.
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think Ariza's locker room presence will be missed as much as his on-court performance.

13. htxaf

htxaf Member

thats why the rox's are getting melo....

Scola Scoops likes this.
  14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Gerald Green is going to some hiney.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Ariza played the 3rd most minutes on a team that won 65 games. That makes him an important player.

The Rockets were already the #1 offense in the NBA. They can only get worse in that department. However they still had room to improve defensively - the chance of that happening now doesn't look good.

Even with Ariza's limited offensive game, Anthony has only had a TS% better than Ariza had last year ONCE in his entire career, and that was 10 years ago.

16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Any time ariza put the ball on the court i screamed, but i also felt like the rockets ran him to the ground. He was just playing to many mins.

17. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

His passing is extremely underrated and underused by him and his team. That's a great dimension to add if he just puts some focus on it and MDA puts him in situations to utilize it. He could really a complete player if he just consistently locks in on all 4 phases(scoring, passing, rebounding and defense) He has the ability to above average to great in all those areas.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think many people overlook the fatigue factor against the Warriors. In theory, we didn't need Luc. But if we had him 100%, he could have taken up some of Ariza's minutes and Tucker's minutes. I still believe that all the missed shots had something to do with tired leg or tired mind. It took a lot of mental focus to play that kind of intensive defense. It's not sustainable for a long time. We needed more guys who could contribute and Luc being a zero against GSW really hurt.

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It tells us that his backup was returning from a dislocated shoulder and was extremely ineffective.

Deuce, hakeem94, BMoney and 1 other person like this.
  20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Your TS% argument is comparing apples to oranges. Ariza took less than 10 shots/game last year. For his career, Anthony has attempted 19.5 shots/game. If Ariza had to be one of the focal points of an offense, his percentages would plummet.

I also disagree that Houston's offense can't improve. In the playoffs vs GS, we hunted mismatches. The problem was that GS could hide Curry by having him guard Ariza and we couldn't make them pay for that move. If you replace Ariza with Anthony, then there's nowhere to hide Curry. Regardless of what you think Anthony but there's no way that Curry can guard him.

hakeem94 likes this.