1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza missed 15 games last season. Rockets went 14-1.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 20, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

You too bro. :)

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yea, but heart

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Right now every media member can’t wait long enough on every segment to regurgitate Arizas name along side Lucs to convince everyone that the rockets are going to hurt without them...

I am not worried at all! The ones who watch nearly every game know how frustrating Arizas game is. Colin went as far as saying the rockets window shut down because they left :D

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That 14-1 record without Ariza really shuts that down bigtime. It's pretty funny. Like you said if you really watch Rockets games then you know the truth.

Crashlanded19, bilaal14 and D-rock like this.
  5. noppeper

noppeper Member

For sure would smell of collusion, but it would also help explain a lot of things, including why Ariza would go to a non-contender (other than the 15 mill reasons), why the Suns would invest this much money on an aging glue guy and Codman's comments.

It's not like the GSW seem to be playing a fair game, so if this helps dethrone them, then I'm all for it.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is my feeling as well. MCW/Ennis are not the Ariza replacement. They are the Moute replacement.

Also, as an aside, I remember after the Utah series, Donovan Mitchell gave praise to Ariza's defense on him. Said that Ariza's LENGTH really bothered his shot. So yeah, Ariza's defense has to be replaced somehow.

RocketWalta, D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS! This is an aspect that is getting SERIOUS underplayed by the mainstream media. Like non.

You could make the case that PJ Tucker was the most important defensive player on the team when it mattered most for the Rockets. This is not talked about enough. It was his inclusion in the starting lineup at the All Star break that pushed them to 3rd in defense.

While PJ can guard the perimeter, it is his "quickness" guarding 4's and 5's that is key for this team. And his communication. He is like a middle linebacker out there calling signals

The Rockets switching system might do wonders for MCW and Ennis. And might even "somewhat" hide some of Melo's defensive weaknesses. We'll see.

topfive and D-rock like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This. The Rockets can't regress defensively....BUT need to expand the number of playmakers on the floor to keep GSW off balance.

It is hard to get a PLUS defender that ALSO is a playmaker. Those are called all stars.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sadly, this isn't wrong. We don't know Morey's other potential move. But is gaining Melo (offense) vs losing Ariza (defense) a "net positive" for the Rockets?

I agree, GSW isn't worried. :-/

justtxyank likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I look at it moreso on a overall team analysis. Does those moves make our offense better by a bigger margin then the margin our defense dropped... if it even really drops.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Of course, that is the macro. I think against most teams it might be a net positive. But against the Warriors, it probably is a net negative.

12. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

They're gonna try to bring Melo's game back from the dead. I hope they can revive it.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Does our offense tire GS out when they have to defend us?

14. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Ariza’s defense impact has been overstated.

You guys gave up 115+ multiple times in a 7 game series.

GS isn’t worried about Ariza nor Melo nor CP3 nor Harden or anyone and that shouldn’t even be a concern.

But you know what, they'll regret it when you guys take them down.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol wut? If cp3 didnt get injured rockets are champs now

htxaf likes this.
  16. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

What does that have to do with what I said?

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that we already lost Ariza. We will be filling that void with the best player available. I don't think he is the shell of himself that most people believe. He is on the decline, but he wasn't a good fit in OKC. Westbrook is a great basketball player, but he does not make his teammates better. Melo will have two such guys here. While his overall numbers may not go up, I would certainly expect his efficiency and effectiveness to.

People that are down on Melo are comparing him to his former self rather than the Rockets other options.

H-Town Melo likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I remember the Rockets went undefeated that month Ariza was out. In fact, that's why he missed a month. He could've been back sooner, but the team was rolling without him, so he was able to take his time.

Now that being said, Luc starting in his place was a huge factor in the team's success. We'll see if Ennis can fill that role. But I never thought Ariza was as important to the Rockets' record last season as a lot of so-called experts in the media seem to.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ariza and LMM both have 7'2 wingspans. ennis for comparison has a 6'11 wingspan. bazemore is 7'0. carroll and crowder are both relatively small at 6'9-6'10. its not easy at all to find that kind of length in a combo forward, let alone have two of them.

i would recommend trading ryno for either harkless+leonard (harkless has a 7'2 wingspan), aminu+turner (aminu has a 7'4 wingspan!), or sefalosha+burks (thabo has a 7'2 wingspan).

harkless, aminu, and sefalosha were solid from 3 and even better from the corners last year. seem to be perfect fits as 3D combo Fs.

Little Bit likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I mentioned Harkless+Leonard before. Split Anderson's contract in 2 and get a starting caliber SF in Harkless. Leonard is a sunk cost but will be expiring next season at a more moveable 10M.

smoothie likes this.