1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza missed 15 games last season. Rockets went 14-1.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 20, 2018.

1. bmd

bmd Member

And that 1 loss was the last game of the season where Ariza, Paul, Harden, Capela, etc. rested and didn't play.

So they were really 14-0 without him in the line-up.

Those 14 games had an average margin of victory of nearly 14 points per game, with wins over Philadelphia, Minnesota (2x), Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland, Washington, Miami, Denver, etc.

What does this mean? I don't know. But it's interesting food for thought.

2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

but we also lost Luc

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

cant believe ariza haters completely overlook how he plays too much since he got here. hopefully suns will be smarte about his playing time.

Red Chocolate and kjayp like this.
  4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Hopefully they will buy him out around March after being smart with his playing time.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We had an edge defensively at the wing position (+Tucker) in 17-18. Our improved wing defense was an ongoing storyline throughout the year. As we stand currently, that's gone. And Morey would likely agree since he has stated that he has until the deadline to correct it.

And that is that.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

It means we don't need Ariza against regular season teams. We needed him against GSW but he didn't really do a good job there either.

That's why I'm not that upset with Ariza leaving if we can get Melo at the mid level. Luc too would have been great but with his shoulder injury we don't know if he will be like before.

7. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Morey did the math and he said, F off Ariza, you 0/12 POS

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buy him out? Why not trade him for Anderson and a 1st? A trade at the deadline is probably the main reason they signed him.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Oh yeah, the guy that nobody knew of and/or saw as an after thought when we signed him, oh, yeah, that guy.

Be honest, not one person saw the significance of signing Luc. He wasn't a great shooter... he was an (at best) above average defender..... he played with and was familiar with CP3.

Besides all that we molded Luc to be what WE wanted him to be and WE maximized that for one season with him.

Now why would anyone be complaining about a bench role player that was so insignificant until he finally became what we sought out. Cause people are petty and want to find any reason to complain.

Next man up. That's literally all it is. So don't cry over dried up ass milk that hasn't even spilled yet.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

there were plenty of people here who saw Luc as a solid signing. Him and PJ signing were signals that Houston was shifting their mentality to becoming way better defensively. And obviously it showed and the results speak for themselves

A casual followers take who wouldn't know who half the role players in the league are, doesn't speak for everyone else that are familiar with the Luc's and PJ's of the league

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can search my post history. I was all about the Luc signing.

DonKnock, D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And it is a fair point. But having Moute playing that role helped. And he is gone.

Can Ennis fill that role? We'll see.

Lawlruschang and saleem like this.
  13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You were one of the very few.

I can search through tons of posts and lay them all out for everyone. But I'm really not going to waste my time.

Hindsight of course you can say, he was a great nab and everyone loved him... but look at how people view Melo even now.

If he turns out to be spot on of what we need, everyone will be claiming the same thing. "I WAS ON BOARD ALL ALONG!"

Not.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/luc-mbah-to-rockets.284253/page-2

a ton of good feedback on the signing of moute thread. he wasn't some nobody knows guy that people hated

DonKnock likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I noted many times last year how our forwards kind of sucked. At least Tucker had that bulldog, defensive, switch 1-5 basically potentially. Ariza used to have that but slowly over the years hasn't been as good at that.

Of note, the games mentioned, excluding the last one were against: PHI, CHO, MIN, GSW, ORL, SAS, CLE, BRK, MIA, DEN, DAL, MIN, SAC, WAS. Some bad teams, some good teams. No losses as noted.

I'm not concerned about losing Ariza.

I AM concerned about the replacements and our forwards overall still.... when it comes to the playoffs at least. Only so many resources unless you're drafting second round steals I guess, and obviously our PG/SG tandem is as close to the top as they come ... if they're healthy.

DonKnock and Relativist like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

false. at this point its championship or bust. the rockets defense won't be better than last year if theyre planning to feature melo in a role he supposedly wants to be and not wanting to sacrifice. if they don't get as close to winning a title as they were last year then yeah melo obviously wasn't the answer.

The rockets are a good team without him. thats already a given. they don't need him to win 50+ games or become a top seed. Can they be as good as last year and be the team to have a chance at eliminating GS is the big question

Reeko likes this.
  17. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Why co
    Why would he not, he's a more skilled player and younger.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You're right, but as I said many questioned the fit... besides being able to guard multiple positions people didn't see how he'd fit offensively.

Until we turned him and PJ into 3 point sharp shooters (in a sense) on the wing.

I'm ok with losing Luc, especially if he's likely to become more susceptible to injury after not one but two shoulder injuries knocked him out last season.

Move on to James Ennis, stop crying already.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

well like i said he wasn't picked up for offense. and that the rockets were shifting their mentality towards defense. that was the difference last year that put GS on the brink of elimination

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What a jabroni. Talking out your ass again. lulz. @YOLO said it best when we felt good as a fanbase that we were shifting gears into a more defensive minded team. Hell, we were all anticipating those kinds of signings when Moreknee said we wanted to be a top 10 defense.

You just worry about Greg William

D-rock likes this.