1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Asia Trip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, May 21, 2016.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

I want to go for 2 weeks or so and visit a few countries in Asia.
    Friend of mine did 6 countries in 3 weeks.

I often see sales on airfare to hong kong or singapore in the 600s on United. Any advice on which countries I can group together?

2. sw847

sw847 Member

Depends on what you want or what u are hoping to exoerience, off course there is the budget.

For me I would go Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia. Gives you beaches, shopping, cultural aspects, also they are close so it saves time and money on logistics. This is also probably the cheapest route.

If you have the money, I would go China, Korea and Japan. These three will cost a bit more but you will experience some authentic eastern culture. China will offer you a diverse trip. It's huge and the culture and customs vary greatly across different provinces, I would hit Beijing, shanghai, yunnan and Inner Mongolia.. Korea is great as well, food and shopping especially. Not much experience in Japan. But get your money ready, want to have a great time it's gonna cost you. Don't be one of those foreigners that travel to these places expecting to go backpacking, you won't experience anything good, save that for south east Asia. Same goes for hongkong

If you have the time India and Indonesia is great too. Just watch what you eat. The *****s is no to be played around with. Never been Vietnam, but supposedly its great

Anyway just my two cents, hope it helps

3. VanityHalfBlack

Bangkok. Go to the Massage Parlor.

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

What are you looking for? Backpacking? Shopping? Historical /Cultural sight seeing? Night life?

If backpacking and cultural sought seeing , I would do Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. Maybe China (Bejing, Great Wall)

If shopping and night life, then I would go to Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, and maybe Seoul.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Once you figure out the countries you are going to I'll leave some suggestions. Are you planning on staying in Hostels or Hotels??

6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

6 countries in 3 weeks sounds miserable. Go to Vietnam for the entire two weeks. Fly into Hanoi and out of Ho Chi Minh.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Hotels

Cultural sightseeing, food and experience the local life.
    Not interested at all in shopping and blah to nightlife.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tokyo
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    Bangkok
    Krong Siem Reap
    Phuket
    Phi Phi Islands
    Kuala Lumpur
    :eek:

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

Weather tip : summer steamy hot /super sunny or winter that mostly rainy/mild temp, Depend on which months you plan to go.

You can do this :Most beautiful beaches located in Philippines , shopping in Malaysia and attraction in Indonesia . All geographically closer to each other.

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Why is everyone mentioning shopping? Who picks that as criteria when planning a trip? :confused:

11. SpGish20

SpGish20 Member

This. I did 3 weeks Hanoi>danang>hue>Hoi an>Saigon

Been to the major cities in China and not even close, Vietnam way better.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

I don't get it either.
    Like I need to go on vacation, take an empty suitcase so I can buy crap I can buy here at the mall?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

which part of the year do you plan on going? also, phuket sucks

14. TMac'n

Sadly, lot of women consider shopping when it comes to international travel.

I've backpacked SE Asia with my best friends (all guys) and it was a life experience I will never forget. Now when I go traveling with my wife for vacation, we always have to shop. Blows my freaking mind

15. TMac'n

Phuket is kind meh. I would go to the islands in the Gulf of Thailand for the fun. Koh Samui, then hop on a catamaran to Koh Phangnang (sp?) For the full moon party, and then on to Koh Toh for the beauty

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

I can go anytime this year or next year.

17. MystikArkitect

If there's no shopping it's pretty much off our list, pretty much our #1 criteria.

Kyoto is pretty badass as is Tokyo. If you like chaos and amazing shopping go to Tokyo. If you want the zen capital of the world go to Kyoto. Can't speak for other places but have heard good things about Seoul and Hong Kong. Singapore is Marina Bay Sands and that might be it.

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Hong Kong is often considered the gateway city to Asia since English is a second language there. If it's your first time to the continent, Hong Kong is a great first choice.

After that, there are many good options. Bangkok, Taipei, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo and Seoul to name a few. I'd start w/ the major cities first. Don't do 6 countries in 3 weeks, that's a bit rushed and tiring. You will NOT get the full experience of each city that way.

Good luck.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I could see wanting to go shopping for musical gear in Japan, oh hell yea!

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Airfare in Southeast Asia (and even to Australia) is quite affordable nowadays. There have been a proliferation of low cost carriers in the region (Air Asia probably being the biggest of the bunch).

It doesn't really matter if you go to Hong Kong or Singapore. It is affordable to fly from either city to anywhere in Asia. Hong Kong might be better if you're considering going to China as well but otherwise, I don't see much of a difference in terms of mobility across the continent.