1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by omgTHEpotential, Dec 24, 2017.

1. basketballholic

You take Porter. I'll take Doncic.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So college b-ball season is pretty much in the bags.

What’s your top 10?

3. basketballholic

Haven't studied it enough. And even then my initial top ten changes the closer we get to the draft and as these guys work out.

I'm not going to change on Doncic though.

I will tell you this. Brunson is confirming what I wrote about him early. I think he'll have a good NBA career and will likely be better than many players that are drafted before him if he goes where he is currently projected.

I don't attempt to pick the players that are drafted top ten. I simply scout the players and determine whom I feel will be the best NBA players. The draft historically favors youth, athleticism, and potential over actual basketball skills. I take everything into consideration and pick players that I think have the best chance to have successful NBA careers without overweighting athleticism and underweight skills.

Take Fred Van Fleet for instance. He was a player that fell through all my filters into my final bin of players that I thought could really play. I touted him when nobody knew who he was. He made it through all my filters. And then when I saw him in limited minutes as a rookie against NBA competition I knew he'd be good.

#43 basketballholic, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    BigMaloe likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

I’m not real high on Trae, for whatever reason I just think he won’t translate well enough.

As for doncic I still like him, would probably take him around 5-7. He possesses skills and craft that translate but just doesn’t have the athleticism to dominate. Kinda like a low floor low ceiling guy.

5. basketballholic

Who's your #1?

6. BigMaloe

Ayton. He looks like he will compete with embiid for best center this next decade.

But it’s so hard to build around a center in today’s nba. The only center I believe can be a #1 option and win a ship in the league currently is embiid. But I think Ayton has that potential also.

I’m currently at a toss between porter, Bagley and doncic for 2,3,4.

7. basketballholic

Interesting. I think Ayton has a touch of Javale/Hassan that will stop him short of greatness. I think he'll have a nice career. But I wouldn't want to draft him. Just certain things I see in his mannerisms, how he chases plays, etc. I think he's overrated.

8. BigMaloe

Hmm... I don’t see much knucklehead and I thought he was Ivy League bound until he changed course? Or maybe I’m mistaken idk but I thought he had a pretty square head and so I guess I’ll look into it.

If you mean chasing blocks and such, I think that’s normal given lack of experience. I believe he will start understanding rotations and mature and blame for fundamental because of his intelligence. Unlike with Javal and Hassan who are knuckleheads with low iq and this constantly chase blocks to this day because they think that’s the best defense.

But I can agree that idk if you can win as your franchise #1 guy bis cause I don’t think much centers can be this day in age.

I like all 4 of Ayton, Porter, Doncic and Bagley.

Who are you liking late lottery to end of first?

9. basketballholic

Brunson for starters. I like Bridges too. But I think he'll go lottery. And I need to study him more. That's based on what I scouted of him last season.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just asking: if Boogie stayed healthy then what would Pels O & D have looked like? Might they be an outlier who can dominate with two bigs albeit one a unicorn and the other actually unicornish?

Whiteside for Ryno? Hmm, who sez nah?

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

After watching Ayton in the tournament, he should not be the number 1 pick. I would not draft him. Offensively he looks like he has all the tools be successful, but defensively he was just a liability out on the perimeter. Buffalo put him in pick and roll situations all day and exploited him. Imagine him guarding CP or Harden on a pick roll. He has no chance. He's gonna be Enes Kanter. Harden's gonna be yelling out BBQ Chicken post game after dropping a career high.

basketballholic likes this.
  12. basketballholic

Here's someone that actually watches the games and can project ahead. That's good scouting. I saw the same things.

13. BigMaloe

I think not with regards to being able to win a ship. Davis and cousins bring a lot to the table.

On offense it works because both can space the floor and share the interior space, but I’m not sure it could be good enough, especially considerring the high end offenses of Houston, gsw, Cleveland and Toronto.

On defense it creates problems because of interior length and plenty supposed rim protection. But the problem is the 3pt era. If they camp the lanes a team like Houston or gsw will bomb away. And if they guard the perimeter they are out of their strengths and lack the perimeter defense needed while losing rim protection behind them.

If they had a high end guy at the perimeter initiating, like let’s say cp3, where he is likely the 2nd best player relegating cousins to a third option role and balancing the floor then absolutely. But, while a good player, jrue isn’t enough.

And this is before boogies injury so who knows how they will look.

I mean it was one game. Sure he got beat on the perimeter but I think almost every center does. Embiid, Gobert, even capela who is great on the perimeter will get burned.

I don’t think he is horrible in that regard so comparing him to kanter is a tad extreme. Will he ever be as fluid defending the rim as capela? Probably not but he will be a much better rim defender I believe.

Couple that with his offense and I think he can be special.

I understand the big man concerns, and honestly have been very anti Big at the high end of the draft for a few years. The league is just so perimeter oriented now days it makes them less valuable imo and wings/guards for valuable.

But guys do come along who are true difference makers. And while bigs bust more than anyone, I lean on the fact he is a smart kid with a stable mind set it seems.

14. BigMaloe

How are you on zhaire?

15. basketballholic

Reminds me of Bazemore physically.

Has great hops. More importantly, has quick hops. Gets off the ground very quickly and also recovers defensively to get up and contest. Those are NBA quicks and hops. Like that.

Also like his cutting ability. He does a great job of sensing the overplay and cutting. Also does a great job of catching the defenders with their heads turned and slipping underneath.

Also has that nack for knowing where the ball is going off the shot. Must people think that's unteachable. Personally, I think it is teachable. I think you teach guys going to the glass from the perimeter to consider where the ball will most likely come off the rim, and then you teach them to read how the defenders are positioning for the carrom. And you make a run to an open area closest to the area of highest carrom potential and without being boxed out you get off the ground before everybody else.

Smith has this down. He's a good rebounder in space where he can use his athleticism and isn't impeded by other players bulk.

Those things I know.

What I don't know yet:

1. His work ethic - just not enough information yet.

2. How good/bad he is off the dribble -

My initial impression is he's 3&D only at the NBA level. I flat-out do not like his pull up jumper. And I really don't see anything in his dribble game that's NBA worthy.

But I also don't see NBA range in his three-pointer.....yet. And that's a problem if you can't operate off the dribble. Doesn't mean it's not there or of it is not there that he can't develop it .... if he has work ethic in spades. I simply don't know.

I also don't like what I've seen of his floor vision when he's got the ball. Seems very limited in his ability to create for others. Saw multiple plays where he took the shot while one or more teammates were open with better looks.

(I will confess I only saw him in two games. That's why I'm prefacing these comments with I don't know.)

3. How good/bad he is defensively with switches and playing in scheme. How alert he is defensively. Just haven't seen enough.

4. What position he plays at the NBA level. His frame is a combo guard frame much more than a true swing man from what I see. Want to see his measurables at the combine. Want to see how he deals with bigger players defensively. When you think about NBA threes......it gets dicey.

5. What his bball iq really is. Right now it seems to me to be pretty average. Would like to know more.

6. How he fights and works out leading up to the draft. Does he disappear early with a first round promise? Or is he anxious to compete and work out against all comers? (That gives me clues about his mentality.)

And I want to see him in shooting drills. Catching and shooting and pull ups from NBA three.

So my analysis is half baked at this point on Smith. He is very young. But my guess on him right now is late first at the highest with possibly looking terrible and falling out of the draft altogether and a very small chance of really showing he's got game off the dribble and can shoot NBA threes and therefore elevating himself into the lottery.. Don't see the latter happening. But you can check with me later or see if I put him on my preferred list.

#55 basketballholic, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    BigMaloe likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ive never followed a college player to the Nba. He will be my first and im eager to see how his game translates to the nba.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I get if it was one game against some really good competition maybe I would not overreact. But it was Buffalo, will they even have 1 player on that roster to make the NBA. The level of skill and competition is only going to get better in the NBA and if he can't defend Buffalo, he can't defend anyone else.

Even so, best case scenario he is Karl Anthony Towns. Lots of stats, no wins. No one fears Karl Anthony Towns. He averages 30 and 15 against the Rockets and yet they have lost every game by 18 points.

18. BigMaloe

Sure I understand not having elite talent but Buffalo is a good team. I have seen him shuffle his feet and stay in front of guards in PnR switches. He’s not great but I think he is competent and has the ability to become better.

I just think he will be better than towns. I think he projects to be kat like on offense but with good defense.

Will be interesting to see how he develops tho.

Does he have the desire to become great? Will he have a great motor? How will he handle the fame? How will he far against NBA competition every night?

These are all unknowns. Questions that we don’t know about almost every prospect.

19. basketballholic

That's not on Townes. Townes is a young Marc Gasol. Still more upside in his game.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Marc Gasol is a plus defender. Towns just doesn’t seem to have elite athleticism to play the kind of defense he wants to play. He needs to learn from Gasol and play smart positional defense.