1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading in a car with CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - what to do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, Sep 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I want to trade in my 2005 VW Passat with 77k miles. I would say it is in very good condition cosmetically.

The problem is I have a check engine light for (4 cylinder misfires and something about a purge valve not working right) I'm also having issues with my enging burning oil and at excessive rate, I lost 2 quarts in 2 months.

Im checking today with a shop to see how much to repair, if it's just spark plugs or coil, i think i'll spend the money to repair it so i avoid the dealer knocking too much off trade in. If it ends up being like $900 bill, I won't fix it and trade it in as is. What's the best way to approach a dealer about a check engine light? Shoudl i be upfront and honest because they will find out about it anyways or not say anything?

I can notice a little bit of shaking when i turn the car on but it's not much and driving it i can't tell a difference at all.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Trade it in as is. Dealer is gonna rape you regardless

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Shoudl i be upfront and honest"...???? :confused:

WTH? Really? People ask this? We are DOOMed as humans. :(

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I read that when Dealer sees a CHECK ENGINE light, they automatically assume the worst and take off as much as possible. Having an estimate with the cost to repair and showing them will keep them from taking off alot because they assume something major if it's not.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Your gonna get low balled by the dealer anyway

6. sbyang

sbyang Member

You really think the car is in good condition?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Years ago, I was trading in an old car that ran well, but had a few cosmetic problems (including the fact that it was difficult to close the passenger side door). The salesman asked me to tell him about the car and I started to go through the list of 'wrong' things. He stopped me and told me to tell him only the good things about the car which I proceded to do.

After inspecting the car, he says "why didn't you tell me about the door". I reminded him of what he said, then I walked out and went to another dealer.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Asking if you should be honest was my point at that time, sir. Speak honestly ALL the time. It is irrelevant that this is only about your vehicle.

You deserve a low price if the car isn't in good condition and you knew it beforehand, anyway. Fix the car if you want a much better price, or just ask another dealer what their price would be if it DIDN'T have a "check-engine light" on. :cool:

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Could you take it to a shop and have them "fix" the check engine light for it to stop turning on?

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Don't tell them anything.

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

We sold my girlfriend's car to CarMax with a check engine light about 6 weeks ago. I had it checked out and the repairs were going to cost approx. $1,500. We didn't want the car anymore, so we just went in to see what they would offer, with the light on.

They offered 95% of the KBB value of the car.

We jumped on the deal.

Check into going that route.

12. YaosDirtyStache

1.tell them THEY did something to activate the light just to low ball you.
    2.threaten lawsuit
    3. tell them if they dont give you blue book value you will sue
    4. ??????
    5. Profit!

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If you really want to clear the check engine light you can probably find someone to do it with a code reader.

If you can't find a mechanic to do it for you on the cheap, then get on a VW car forum and ask someone local to you and you will find someone willing to help.

i have a code reader for my BMW and it comes in handy to find out what problems my car has so I can fix it myself or help others if need be.

14. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

take out the bulb for the check engine light.

15. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Carmax, IQ auto buyers, and theres one more but I forgot the name that buy cars.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This just reminded me why I'm scared to buy used cars. Lol. So sad.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Why you should always get a private party inspection when buying any car regardless of coming from a private seller or dealership. If they don't let you get one then you walk away from it right then and there.

18. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

LOL, you really want to trade in a car that ONLY has 77k and in fair condition JUST because the check engine light is on?? :eek: :eek:

Doesnt it cross your mind that by fixin it and selling it, maybe you'll get your money back on what u spent to fix it and youll get double the money that the dealer will offer?!?!

Youre going to get low-balled at the dealer. The dealer wants to make their money, so they arent going to give you much. Think about what you wanna really do, man. Dont be stoooopid. :rolleyes:

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

agreed..it cost around $100 - $150 but well worth it IMHO...

the dealership is going to lowball you, and I would definitely take it to carmax..as far as being honest, sure, karma is a bee-yotch...

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They're going to miss stuff, too. Just like home inspectors always miss stuff when buy a new home. A co-worker just bought a Lexus with 20k on the odo that was inspected and also CPO. After less than a month of ownership, he's got oil leaks. Luckily he bought a warranty and it was covered.