1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Tracy McGrady] I wish in my day I could've had a terrible game like Harden and still win by 20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Progs, Apr 19, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream's mentality during the playoffs is infinity gauntlet

Tmac's mentality is palmolive

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

In the 1990 playoffs against the Lakers Hakeem had that terrible game 2. He only scored 11 points on 4 of 15 shooting. He also had 11 rebounds and 10 blocks, but who cares about blocking 10 showtime Laker shots in a single game?

tinman likes this.
  3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Even though I don't understand anything you said in your post, this was the one part that made me laugh

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ok one bad game on offense, but he still beasted on defense

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

i would have traded Tmac for Sam Cassell
    Straight up

Jontro, Zboy and don grahamleone like this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sorry, I was trying to be super sarcastic. An overall good game is an overall good game. Dude got a triple double in the playoffs against the showtime Lakers. He was a gamer when it mattered.

Mr. Clutch and tinman like this.
  7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Nah tinman, I'm a Horry (or Francis) only fan before I'll ever be a Tmac only fan, but I gotta get the history straight, Tmac didn't want to be traded during the Yao-Artest year. The team was sneaking around listening to trade offers.

8. Progs

Progs Member

Cool

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No doubt.

Sam Cassell was all heart.

McGrady was no heart.

BTW, MeMac will never change. Rockets are playing and all this guy is doing is talking about himself. lulz...

Jontro likes this.
  10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Teams only wanted T-Mac because he was a 20mil expiring salary so they could play the Summer of Lebron Sweepstakes.

tinman likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude he got traded cause he hated Rick ruling over his ass
    You deny that ?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes and he’s butt hurt fans are crawling out of the dirt to defend him for putting himself in this rockets story about harden

Does anyone on TNT ever say I wish I had a bad game like harden and win?

No cause they aren’t Tmac who’s all about Tmac

Zboy likes this.
  13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I don't deny that, but that was after the Yao-Artest year. Rick didn't play him, and only then Tmac wanted out. The year during Yao-Artest, he wanted to stay on the team so much he went and put himself out of commission to kill off any trade talks.

The dude did plenty of stupid things and said all the stupid things but he wasn't like Carmelo forcing the Nuggets team to trade him to New York. The Rockets rightfully kept his minutes low next year that he finally wanted out so he can play.

If we had managed to sell TMac before his micro-microfracture (nanofracture) surgery, no telling what might have been with Yao-Artest and whoever we could get from TMac.

14. touring_low

touring_low Member

15. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

TMac speaking the truth. Really enjoy an Ex-Rocket who doesn't bag on Houston all the time on television.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

A lot of people harbor hate against T-Mac and I cant figure it out. He was nothing short of a superstar here, and elevated his play in the playoffs at ridiculous levels. People talk about the guy as if he was some scrub, but the reality is he had little to no supporting cast here or anywhere else - and we're seeing right now how even an average supporting cast can struggle in the playoffs with Lebron and the Cavs. Lebron is the undisputed best player in the NBA surrounded by a number of 'good' pieces - Love, Smith, Korver, etc. and yet there's a very, very good chance right now that they dont get out of the first.

T-Mac never had a 2nd player close to skill level of Love, and had at best some skilled role players around him. So he couldnt make it out of the first round, cut the guy some slack. He came here in 04-05, and had two real chances of getting out of the first round v. the Mavs and Jazz. The Mavs were flatly better than us. No one gave us a chance (even though it was a 4/5 matchup), and we actually caught everyone by surprise when we went up 2-0 in the series. We lost that game 7 by 40 points, and there's no player good enough in the world to overcome an awful showing like that by his teammates. Against the Jazz, T-Mac is the reason we were in it, and although people are going to hate me saying it, Yao was abused that series by Boozer. Boozer dropped 35 points in game 7, and we got a total of 10 points off the bench. That was the last season T-Mac was still serviceable. Once Adelman came in, T-Mac's knee issues had already begun flaring up, and he was missing more and more time. T-Mac's physical stability declined quickly, and he was the slowest to realize it. His game never allowed him to transition into a role player or sixth man role, and his career didnt last long after that.

Whatever mistakes he made in his career, I think its ridiculous to hold the 'couldnt get out of the first round' label over his head and to hold something against the guy for wondering how his career would have been different if he had a better supporting cast.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

And MJ had a worse TS% than Harden for that playoff game because he made 0 three pointers

Here's elite company James is in who may have shot a better FG% than Harden but worse TS%

Bill Russell twice
    Oscar Robertson twice
    Lenny Wilkens twice
    Paul Pierce twice
    Scottie Pippen twice
    Isiah Thomas
    Clifford Robinson
    Danny Ainge
    David Robinson
    Derek Harper
    Dwyane Wade
    Elgin Baylor
    Elvin Hayes
    Gary Payton
    Grant Hill
    Greg Anthony
    Jason Kidd
    Jeff Hornacek
    Joe Dumars twice
    John Havlicek
    Kevin Love
    Larry Johnson
    Latrell Sprewell
    Mark Jackson
    Michael Finley
    Rolando Blackman
    Steve Smith
    Tony Parker
    Bill Laimbeer

fba34 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's like 2009, 2010, 2011 again.

Tmac threads never die down.

Polarizing as ever like the discussion here.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cassell was retired in 07-2008. Around late 2008 or in 2009 you couldn't trade.

Straight up won't work in the real world, given the salaries. Cassell was an old player then.

If the numbers are correct, he never made more than 7 million per year ever in a season.

Fact is, Houston had him on rookie contract and the rookie contract back then paid him much less than nowadays.

He was better than Trevor Ariza but got paid less, 6.8 mil by the Clips and 6.3 mil. by Minny being the most.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cassesa01.html

#179 daywalker02, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

lol only small minority of active clutchfans are delusional tofs and never harden haters