1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 100 Players SI: Rockets players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Sep 9, 2019.

1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Capela 56?

SI didn't subscribe to the _holic newsletter I see.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can't seem to think of 62 players I'd rather have on my team than Eric Gordon.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Klay at 58?

Riiiiiight.

PhilCollins, xiki, Garner and 2 others like this.
  5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

NBA 2019/2020 Salary...

140 - PJ Tucker
    85 - Eric Gordon
    70 - Clint Capela

Each one is outperforming their salary...

In Molly we trust! ... :)

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

His face alone is top 58 in the league. What a likable looking fellow! Also, I'd guess his stare is the only asset he'll use to help the Warriors next year.

[​IMG]

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

12 - Russell Westbrook

PhilCollins likes this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In before Harden at 8 or something stupid like that.

PhilCollins, napalm06 and Blurr#7 like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Harden ain’t top 3 then this last is invalid and whoever made it should get checked for the blatant disrespect

I better not see the likes of Giannis or AD ahead of Harden like a lot of these people love to do...that nonsense won’t fly...

10. Mr Chuck Norris

Way too high tbh

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow Harden and Westbrook not even ranked... ouch.

12. bratna8

bratna8 Member

74 - PJ Tucker
    63 - Eric Gordon
    56 - Clint Capela
    12 - Westbrook

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Butler better than Westbrook? No way.

14. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Butler would have been 15-20 if he signed with the Rockets and Westbrook would have been in the top 10 if he was playing elsewhere...media conspiracy!!!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not Top10 Brook.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coming in at number five....

To carry a league-high usage rate while playing the second-most minutes in the league is a preposterous kind of workload. James Harden shouldered it impossibly well, producing (36.1 PPG, 7.5 APG, 6.6 RPG) in a way that no other player in the league could. Capacity is its own kind of skill. Only certain skill sets can scale up effectively, and only one like Harden’s could function at this ridiculous extreme.

No player on this list could do more for an offense with less help. Where players like Giannis Antetokounmpo rely on the spacing created by others, Harden makes his own with a game-breaking step-back. Through that, Harden took more threes off the dribble last season than the next two highest-volume shooters combined, and hit an impressive 36% of those highly difficult shots. Where even Stephen Curry and LeBron James lean on their bigs as pick-and-roll partners, Harden can always fall back on the fact that he is literally the most dominant isolation player in the world. Basketball is a game of all sorts of complicated codependencies. Harden can choose to participate in them (as in a pick-and-roll with Clint Capela), but he doesn’t have to. Staring down a defender in a one-on-one situation at the top of the floor has become, in this specific instance, a perfectly viable system.

Yet every system has its complications. Playing alongside Harden is technically quite easy but mentally a bit challenging. All you have to do as a role player is defend hard, crash the glass, and knock down the shots Harden creates. But all you get to do as a role player is defend hard, crash the glass, and knock down the shots Harden creates. Some players (like P.J. Tucker) are suited brilliantly for this. Others have fallen to passivity or grated under the framework. There will always be limits to what one player can do in those five. When a game starts to slip away, it can be hard not to dwell on those limits. It’s an odd dynamic. Harden can create an incredible amount of offense for his teammates, though in doing so, he deprives them of a certain authorship. So long as you’re contending—and Harden alone gets you close—maybe it doesn’t matter.

But all this comes into play when evaluating Harden against Stephen Curry, specifically. It’s a matter of usage vs. ubiquity. Running an offense through Harden means allowing him to dominate the ball. Running an offense through Curry, on the other hand, means playing in the space he provides. Every second that Curry is on the floor, he is exacting a toll on the defense. That gives him a slightly wider sphere of influence than even Harden, and a game perfectly suited to playing alongside other superstars. In a league where aligning multiple star players is the clearest way to a title, having a game that allows for that kind of accommodation can mean everything.

10. Damian Lillard
    9. Paul George
    8. Nikola Jokic
    7. Joel Embiid
    6. Anthony Davis
    5. James Harden
    4. Stephen Curry
    3. LeBron James
    2. Kawhi Leonard
    1. Giannis Antetokounmpo

#16 J.R., Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  17. Fantasma Negro

Harden at 5, Freak at 1? Clown list bro

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lebron lol

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden at #5, and the Brick Freak at #1?!? Oh nah. Oh hell nah. This list is invalid. Toss it in the trash where it belongs. Burn it down. Somebody get me my lighter.

the disrespect is getting outta hand now

Who made this list? What’s his name? U don’t know basketball my guy.

I see Brick Freak has replaced AD as the guy people are putting on a pedestal. It needs to stop...

D-rock, topfive, lilbird20 and 5 others like this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Comic in historic proportions