1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ABforPresident, Aug 4, 2011.

Tags:
?

Do you root for Tiger?

1. Yes, Go Tiger!

77 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. No, I root against him

25 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Who Cares? Its golf

44 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. alethios

alethios Member

Wow, yes, that was quite a dig coming from someone who's made pretty good money caddying for Tiger. Still, I think that shows how much he kept his mouth shut about Tiger while he was on the bag.

I have a good feeling about Adam Scott's future. I really think Stevie made a big difference in Tiger's performance over the years.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The poll should have asked: wouldSteve Williams make more money from this point on working for Tiger Woods or Adam Scott?

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

My issue with Tiger, and it still is, involves his "casual" fans more than him. As far as the adultery, that's not a huge issue in my perception of Tiger. He was worse than most athletes, obviously - but that's sadly just something that goes on a lot in the entertainment industry.

Tiger, at his peak, was the greatest golfer of all-time. I acknowledge that. However, it really seems like a lot of his fans - many of them non-golfers who didn't watch the sport before - lose all perspective, and it feels like a slap in the face to the sport. The game existed (yes, on TV too!) before Tiger, and it'll exist after Tiger. Moreover, even at his absolute peak, the smug attitude and expectations of his supporters was nauseating. Given that Tiger's peak lasted a little over a decade (11 years), there were roughly 46 majors between his 1997 Masters win and 2008 US Open triumph. He won 14 of them - less than a third.

That's an incredible percentage in golf, of course. But in reality, that means that even peak Tiger had a roughly 30% chance of winning a given major. That's how tough the game is, and how many legitimately talented players are in a major championship field. It feels similar to my thoughts on the idiots who just assume the Bulls would've won the two titles in 1994 and 1995 had Jordan not retired, which is a slap in the face to the Rockets and the spirit of competition.

So, I somewhat enjoy seeing Tiger fail - mostly because it reminds casual fans that the game is bigger than Tiger Woods.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I remember that playoff game between Tiger and a young Sergio Garcia. Garcia won. Although I was rooting for Tiger, that was an incredible game.

5. sew

sew Member

I'm happy for Stevie, but I think he should have given a little more credit to Scott.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, i'm sure golf ratings are happy also when he isn't there, are maybe not

7. The Cat

I could care less what television ratings are, unless they're so low that tournaments are at risk of being taken off air (they're not). No idea why the average sports fan should care about the ebbs and flows of TV ratings.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The swing changes and his health (which was part of the reason for two swing changes) are why Tiger didn't have an even more impressive percentage.

Golf doesn't need Tiger, but it sure does miss him.

9. The Cat

Understood, but that's all part of the game! There are very few elite golfers who don't go through multiple swing changes in their careers, both for physical and mental reasons. It's an incredibly taxing sport.

Does golf benefit from a peak Tiger? On the whole, yes, and I do enjoy watching him at his best. But he's not bigger than the sport, and there are a lot of other quality golfers who are (falsely) disrespected by the "Tiger will never lose!!!" crap that used to come out ad nauseam. As a fan, I do find some solace in watching that crowd be silenced. :)

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBA without Jordan? Golf without Tiger?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i know you could
    :)
    the point is that tiger is bigger than the game, your first post makes the argument. yeah he only won 30% of majors but as you say that's an incredible rate. and the transcends the sport. and i'm sure maybe you don't care but i bet the other golfers' wallets do

edit: hockey exists without gretzky also. fringe sports depend most of all on these individual stars

#51 pgabriel, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Steve Williams should thank Tiger Woods that anybody even knows his name.

1 person likes this.
  13. ABforPresident

He tees off around 8am tomorrow morning.. He needs to finish in the top 15 to make the fed ex playoffs

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes, I like heem

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPeZY206QRA&start=22&end=45"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPeZY206QRA&start=22&end=45" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. theimpossibles1

Day one, Tiger shoots a 7 over 77, and I just have to thank one special lady:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dude isn't even going to make the cut -- looks like Tiger is done.

17. Zackery

Zackery Member

Do you guys think Tiger will ever catch up with Jack Nicklaus in winning major championships? I'm begging to think he wont. I'm even beggining to doubt he will ever win a single major again. I mean he didn't even make the cut for this major, with a +10 score.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's a completely legitimate point; but there are a lot of non-casual golf fans who were in complete awe of Tiger. It doesn't help that, compared to other sports with permanent national TV contracts, golf has some awkward and uncomfortable stuff to live down that Tiger helped vanquish overnight.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Fantasma Negro