1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on gender change for young kids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 20, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

All these parents getting hormone therapy/transition surgery for their kids so early is a bit much imo.

Dwayne wade the latest celeb

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How can you really even comment on it unless you were in the same situation? It's such a rare and bizarre bombshell it seems to me you would have to be experiencing it to be able to grasp the insane mental stress it would put on your family. How do you let a child start taking hormones so early, but if you don't then puberty kicks in the secondary sexual characteristics that will cause the boy to look like a transvestite for their adult lives. I say this assuming a 100% true situation not one where the parents are crazy and are making the decision based on some weird ideology.

Edit to add young kids get blockers to delay puberty they don't go straight to gender reassignment and that is after extensive psych evals. I'm sure there are exceptions like a crazy parent taking their kid to Thailand or something.

#2 KingCheetah, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Amiga, JayGoogle and weakfromtoday like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Like any physical or mental health issue it's a deeply personal decision, but the early returns on gender reassignment/hormone therapy for youth do not paint a pretty picture. Definitely something that we need to continue to support and research to maximize positive outcomes.

KingCheetah, da_juice and Andre0087 like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't personally support any surgery or hormone therapy until the child is older, I'm not sure what age, but probably 15+.

I didn't even feel like a conscious individual person until I was like 13 (if that makes sense), puberty changes a lot of things, becoming sexually active changes a lot, I don't think you can accurately assess (to the point of proceeding with irreversible surgeries and hormone therapy) if a kid wants to change their gender until after those things happen IMO.

malakas, B@ffled, jboslett and 3 others like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You can guess my opinion, since I don’t think circumcision should be done on anyone who is not at least 18.

malakas likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There will come a day when all little boys will be terrified to be seen touching a barbie.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

De-assignment is a really high percentage from what I understand, but there is so much misinformation from both sides it's difficult to know if a particular study has a bias. Especially if you are just casually interested trying to wrap your mind around something so foreign.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Child abuse

crash5179, B@ffled and cml750 like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They don't do anything permanent until they are sure. They need to delay puberty or you risk putting that child through a horrid life.

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

if you're going to do a sex change the best time is to do is before puberty

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Call child protective services.

B@ffled likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You can't change sex. Biologically impossible.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The libertarian in me says …. You cats do whatever it is that floats your boat , it has no effect on me or mine.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Except it harms children and can ruin their whole life. You can't libertarian this one and say just let adults do what they want because there is a child involved and real harm is taking place. This stuff is not normal and it's going against nature, and it is permanent. This is just another form of genital mutilation and I can't support it. Disgusting that people here support this. You're all disgusting if you support harming children like that. We truly have made zero progress as a society since the middle ages.

15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

“We truly have made zero progress as a society since the Middle Ages”. I was on board with you until that last sentence lol. What?

malakas likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Who are “all these parents”?

As a parent I’ll contest that you basically know what is good or not good for your kid. If I had a kid that was obviously not the gender they were born, I would be concerned and try to help them achieve happiness. Whatever that might be. There’s nothing more important to you as a parent than your kids happiness or worse than seeing your kid in pain. If my child was suffering and dealing with major issues because they were obviously trans, hell yeah I would help them in any way I could but of course their health and well-being comes first either way. People here act as though parents with Trans children don’t think that way.

However I don’t think this is some new widespread phenomenon that it’s made out to be. Trans people seem to be a minority and people shouldn’t act as though this is just a new fad to get attention, and immediately judge them like some are here. People who make it seem like the decision isn’t taken incredibly serious and potentially a last resort in life by the people who do this are out of their minds.

JayGoogle, Deckard and weakfromtoday like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Really , being transgender is something none of us can comprehend …. I stick with my original statement above , what they are doing , they do voluntarily for their own happiness , it doesn't affect me or mine - I pass no judgement.

And you are correct - most parents would do damn near anything to make sure our kids are happy …. I know I do all I can and don't feel like its enough sometimes.

According to a quick google search , six tenths of a percent (0.6) 3/500.
    I thought it was a much smaller percentage , 3/500 seems quite high to me.

@dachuda86 is technically correct , it is a form of genital mutilation … the chromosomes haven't changed , just the appearance. (That probably sounds ugly but isn't meant to be , its just factually correct)

My one concern is the age of the people we're talking about in this particular instance , pre-pubescent children. They are making that decision without much life experience .... and you wonder how much of this decision is flat out crazy parents , I know we've all met a few that leave you thinking WTF , that poor kid.

If we are talking about adults -- I got nothing but a have at it ….

Still , its their decision and I pass no judgement.

#17 Corrosion, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's none of my business. Hopefully, they have the resources and the education to make an informed decision and that it is truly a last resort.

Now, if there is some weirdo parent that like to see their child suffer... that's my business.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When Harry was born, his parents, Steve and Barb, were delighted to add another boy to their family. But as their baby boy began to grow and develop, they noticed that Harry began to express himself in a manner that they viewed as more feminine than masculine. He gravitated toward dolls and other toys that our culture typically associates with girls. But Harry’s preference was not simply about liking pink more than blue or flowers more than fire trucks. He even began to draw himself as a girl, complete with a dress and high-heeled shoes. In fact, Harry did not just wish to be a girl; he believed he was a girl.

In kindergarten, Harry often got into arguments with male classmates because he insisted that he was a girl, not a boy. He even started calling himself “Hailey.” Steve and Barb met with several psychologists, all of whom told them that Hailey was transgendered. But Steve and Barb had a hard time understanding that their five-year-old son could have already developed a gender identity that went against society’s expectations. Concerned with the social ramifications associated with his child being transgendered, Steve hoped this was just a phase. But Barb, and eventually Steve, realized that Harry’s feelings were genuine and unyielding, and they made the decision to let Harry live as Hailey—a girl. They came to this decision after concluding that the criticism he would endure from his peers and other members of society would be less damaging than the confusion he might experience internally if he were forced to live as a boy.

Many transgendered children grow up hating their bodies, and this population can have high rates of drug abuse and suicide (Weiss 2011). Fearful of these outcomes and eager to make their child happy, Steve and Barb now refer to Harry as Hailey and allow her to dress and behave in manners that are considered feminine. To a stranger, Hailey is likely to appear just like any other girl and may even be considered extra girly due to her love of all things pink. But to those who once knew Hailey as Harry, Hailey is likely to endure more ridicule and rejection as the result of adopting a feminine gender identity.

Currently, seven-year-old Hailey and her parents are comfortable with her gender status, but Steve and Barb are concerned about what questions and problems might arise as she gets older. “Who’s going to love my child?” asks Steve (Ling 2011). This question isn’t asked because Hailey is unlovable, but because North American society has yet to fully listen to or understand the personal narratives of the transgendered population (Hines and Sanger 2010).

https://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter12-gender-sex-and-sexuality/

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

how many change their mind?

how do you know if the child hasn't hit puberty? Maybe they will bloom at the right time or later?

Do you all know the suicide rate among people who get these mutilations?

How do you know the kid isn't just confused?

Honestly to see the care free attitude about this is really telling about how little progress we have made.