1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Kobe hating is just rediculous

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JBIIRockets, Feb 10, 2002.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Some you people should quit looking for negatives about Bryant. It seems like because he is such a talent and a winner, that people want to bring him down. Truly a shame.

I had no problem seeing one of the top five players in the league taking 25+ shots. Kobe was one of the few players who took the game seriously, Let me remind you that Bryant was voted into the game. I filled out 200 ballots and voted for Francis and Kobe 200 times (for free Rocket T-Shirts :D )

Would you rather see Kobe take that many shots, or steve nash????

As for the Philly fans, they should never be allowed to host an all-star game again. I understand booing Kobe during a regular season game, but Kobe really wanted to play well in front of old family and friends on one of the NBA's biggest stages. The all-star game is a time recognize and APPLAUD every star's ability.

2. red

red Contributing Member

i would like to see nobody in the allstar game take 25 shots

3. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

I have no problem him taking 25+ shots in a regular season game.

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

It's an all-star game for the fans. The fans spoke, and they didn't want to see Kobe take shots like that. No one should be taking over 20 shots in an all-star game, no matter the circumstances.

In the regular season, sure, he can put up 40 shots for all I care. But this game showed that he's a selfish player with the ball. If you take Shaq - who from double teaming is the only reason Kobe even gets the ball on the Lakers - away from that team over the course of a season, the Lakers are hardly .500.

I have a newfound respect for the Philly fans after this all-star game. I don't care who he is, or where he's from - it was foolish for him to be acting like that. And then - the audacity to whine and moan on national TV about it?

Suck it up and DEAL WITH IT Kobe Bryant. Until you can do that, you're nothing but a grade A whiner.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

So what do you want? And when you say the "fans spoke", since when was Philly a representation of fans in general?

How many shots do you want Kobe to take? When should he take them? Who should he have passed to?

Would you have rather seen Duncan backing it in?

There were 120 shots taken by the West, shooting 20% of them isn't THAT bad.

Big deal, let Kobe have his fun in his hometown.

I guarantee you that if Mobley played in the game, he would have launched 30 shots.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

mfclark:

agree with everything you said. Walton's comment about Kobe being within the flow of the game? Bull****! He forced so many times.

Philly is Philly. They will get their opinion in.

That interview when Kobe began to cry was absolutely priceless.

Suck it up, Kobe, and pass the damn ball!

7. jamma34

jamma34 Member

kobe started crying in the interview???????

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

All Star games are supposed to be for fun. They're supposed to be for the fans. What do the fans like to see? Alleyoops on fast breaks. Ball movement and a good look at a three. Flashy passing, flashy dunks. Everyone out on that court was out there to have fun, except for Kobe Bryant. Kobe was out there to win MVP. He had Steve open two or three times on fast breaks for the lob, but took it into heavy traffic himself. He took difficult fadeaways and contested jumpers repeatedly, even though passing it would've almost assuredly gotten a better shot. He made it a point to be a one man show out there, and did not play for fun and as a team like the All-Star game is usually done. That, to me, ruins the whole excitement of the game, and I would've booed him too.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He didn't literally cry, but it had the same effect. Jim Grey asked him if he was upset about the fans booing him, and he basically said that it really did upset him and that he couldn't believe it.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

The host city was Philadelphia. They are the ambassadors for the NBA for this weekend and thus speak for the fans. They did not approve of Kobe and his ballhogging techniques and let him know. Since he was "hurt" by this, he had to whine to the media. If he doesn't like it, he can change his ways.

Kobe should've taken closer to 10-15 shots. The west took 120 shots, and for one player of 12 to take 20% of them is RIDICULOUS. The all-star game is about the players coming together as a team and proving that they are better than the other conference, not for one player to go off on his own tangent.

It matters not whether Mobley would've taken 30 shots. There's a reason why he's not an all-star, and that is part of it. Using him to prove your point isn't a valid argument in that he is nowhere near being an all-star guard.

Neither is your point in "letting Kobe have fun in his hometown." If that is try, then why not let Iverson go off? Why not let Mutombo dominate? Heck, why not let MJ dominate? Those players that I just mentioned, no matter how they play on their own teams and how great of players they are, realize the fact that this is not a game to just go off like Kobe did.

And yes, I would've rather seen Duncan backing it in. He is a much better, classier, and a much more effective/efficient player than Kobe. For that matter, I would've rather seen Webber and garnett jacking up threes all night - essentially, anything but Kobe turning the game into his own proving ground.

There's a time and a place for that, and it's not the all-star game.

11. napster

napster Member

Nobody should take 25 shots? It's his hometown...they made an effort to give him the ball knowing this.

Historically:

(2001)
    Iverson back in DC 27 min (2001) 9-21 5 asst 2 rbs 25 pts
    (1997)
    Glen Rice 25 min 10-24 1ast 1 rb 26pts
    (1993)
    Jordan 36 min 10-24 5 ast 4 rbs 30 pts
    (1991)
    Jordan 26 min 10-25 5 ast 5 rbs 26 pts

Which of these players got booed?

And w/ Kobe making about 50% of his shots, I'd say that's damn good.

12. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Too me its not Kobe thats the cry baby it's some of you guys. Who cares? If the game would of been in DC and Stevie took 25 shots, I guarantee not one of you would be griping about it. ESPECIALLY if Steve would of made at least half of them.

Cripes! It was an all star game.

#12 Dreamshake, Feb 11, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2002
  13. JAG

JAG Member

Notice, even in your own post, the word "every"...? And if "every" star, or even, as you think, the top 5 were to each jack up 25 shots apiece, how many shots does that leave for the rest?

14. JAG

JAG Member

Nuff said!

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

It's Kobe's attitude about it and the entire series of events/flow of the game that has everyone on his case. If he wasn't such a whiny baby about everything, he wouldn'tve been booed.

He needs to grow up and deal with the pressure. He's not a universal player, nor is he one of the best the league has ever seen.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Man I wish Kobe would have cried. That interview when Kobe almost cried was probably the highlite of this season for me. I mean what the hell is that fool smokin? Any of the 24 players (save for defensive minded Mutombo) could have dominated the game. All of these players are all-stars. Not much defense is being played anyways. If Ray Allen, Baron Davis, Francis, etc....decided to take 25+ shots, they would have 30 pts too.

I am glad his nasty arrogant ass got booed. I would have booed like a madman if this game was in Houston.

17. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

As the commentator said Kobe was within the flow of the game. he did not jack up shots. I have recored this all star game.. and i watched twice already..
    Kobe took 4 jumpers in transition.. and most of the time he passed around.. and got it back. He did not force any ridiculus shot. It seems like KG and Duncan passed to Kobe alot.

He shouldnt be booed... no player is deserved to be booed in allstar game.

18. IluvtheLakers

IluvtheLakers Member

Kobe played better than anyone else and deserved MVP, period. Iverson took 21 shots with 4 turnovers in less minutes than Kobe in last season's MVP game, did he deserve to be booed?

Well duh, get Kobe some quality players around him. Take Shaq away and the Lakers have the lowest payroll in the league

Do the Lakers have any sort of an interior presence without Shaq? NONE WHATSOEVER

Do the Lakers have a secondary scorer without Shaq? NONE WHATSOEVER

If you have none of the above, you don't have much of a chance of winning anything.

19. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

I'm still waiting for all the Kobe haters to explain why none of these players were booed. I guess taking one less shot in a game transforms a player from an ******* to a stud. Who knew?

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i totaly agree with iluvthelakers and dylan.
    bryant played great, he shot 12-25, al the players mentioned shooted at a much lower fg%, you al say everybdy can dominate a all-star game, tru, but iverson rice and 2 times jordan shot les good:
    jordan (1991): 40%
    jordan (1993): 42%
    rice (1997): 42%
    iverson(2001): 43%
    bryant(2002): 48%
    bryant just shot good, why did he get boyed? he made a few highlights, it's not like he just made a few easy layupps, he made great shots, great highlights. like that great leyup when i thought it was o'neal tryed to block him. he gave 5 assists. so he also passed a lot, and no turnovers. can some one please anser dylan and my question why did bryan get boyed and those other players did not?